Storm Barra = Pintails!

flippermaj

Sorry for the poor pics but better than none maybe!

Storm Barra helped me out tonight, a good wind and high tide at dusk just like Storm Arwen meant no mud flats for any birds to roost on and with a rough sea and flashes on the stubble the birds all wanted over the sea wall into the fields behind.

in total I have only ever shot 3 pintail over the years and only one was a drake.  I very rarely see any pintail up here and I have only ever seen and shot pintail in this one spot on the sea wall.  Strange how they are so localised.

Anyway, a good flight was had, 1 drake, 2 hens and a pink for a nice mixed bag!

91F4CF86-34E0-4C1F-86AB-6CB3AB0C048F.jpeg

A9861C7B-EC41-4A73-B986-1B52F24E6AC6.jpeg

343C9AD6-0C5C-46E7-828D-0F4325168CC6.jpeg

45 minutes ago, flippermaj said:

Sorry for the poor pics but better than none maybe!

Storm Barra helped me out tonight, a good wind and high tide at dusk just like Storm Arwen meant no mud flats for any birds to roost on and with a rough sea and flashes on the stubble the birds all wanted over the sea wall into the fields behind.

in total I have only ever shot 3 pintail over the years and only one was a drake.  I very rarely see any pintail up here and I have only ever seen and shot pintail in this one spot on the sea wall.  Strange how they are so localised.

Anyway, a good flight was had, 1 drake, 2 hens and a pink for a nice mixed bag!

91F4CF86-34E0-4C1F-86AB-6CB3AB0C048F.jpeg

A9861C7B-EC41-4A73-B986-1B52F24E6AC6.jpeg

343C9AD6-0C5C-46E7-828D-0F4325168CC6.jpeg

Awesome flight mate very well done 👏👍

Your bag was richly deserved in these adverse conditions flippermaj , it was touch and go right up to the last minute weather I ventured forth with my gun or just take my dog for a walk , I could put up with the wind but the heavy cold rain was just to much and by 10 to 4 it was decided to take my dog out and leave the gun at home , we have got a long lane that lead down to the marshes that have got an embankment and is lined with trees , this is ideal to walk down when it is stormy like today because you have got shelter each side from the wind and part of the rain , time I got to the bottom it was nearly pitch dark and I never heard a shot anywhere , when I turned round to make my way back I thought of the ole fowlers weather lore , the fouler the weather , the better the fowling , and with your excellent bag there could well be some truth in the ole saying .  GOOD LUCK   MM

• 2 months later...