SSB-150 - How does it compare to other powders?

I'm hoping to develop a 10 bore load using C&G's fibre shot cup for next season. Ideally I'd like to use SSB-150 powder due to the lower price and greater availability, but am unsure about how it compares to other powders, particularly Alliant Steel. 

In an ideal world, I'd like a payload of 46g doing >1500fps, but due to complete lack of load data, have no idea whether it's actually possible or not using SSB-150 (or indeed A Steel either).

I have asked C&G before, but their advice is inconsistent depending on who you talk to (assuming they bother responding to you at all).

Has anyone here loaded cartridges pushing the same load to the same velocities using both powders, then measured the pressures?

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Smudger687 said:

I'm hoping to develop a 10 bore load using C&G's fibre shot cup for next season. Ideally I'd like to use SSB-150 powder due to the lower price and greater availability, but am unsure about how it compares to other powders, particularly Alliant Steel. 

In an ideal world, I'd like a payload of 46g doing >1500fps, but due to complete lack of load data, have no idea whether it's actually possible or not using SSB-150 (or indeed A Steel either).

I have asked C&G before, but their advice is inconsistent depending on who you talk to (assuming they bother responding to you at all).

Has anyone here loaded cartridges pushing the same load to the same velocities using both powders, then measured the pressures?

Thanks in advance

There is load data for 10ga on the powder tub

4 hours ago, Smudger687 said:

Thanks in advance

have asked C&G before, but their advice is inconsistent depending on who you talk to (assuming they bother responding to you at all. 

I've asked for 20g data several times even went up to see them and collected my order of powder and shot. Waste of time. 

Personally i wouldn't bother with them just buy what you need and ask here or email maxam as i did. 

The one load i had from them was 1 grain of powder more than the tested maxam load. I'm not sure if his figures are correct but reading on here and different forums they are questionable. 

Edited by mellors
Typo

@mellors- Yes they really wind me up as well, if there were another retailer that would sell a bio steel wad for homeloaders I would immediately switch over. 

I will, however, email maxam and ask for load data. If they supply it then I can compare to the Status Of Steel manual's A-steel loads, good idea. 

@6.5x55SE - I have two tubs of SSB-150, there's no 10 gauge load data on it.

Edited by Smudger687

4 hours ago, Smudger687 said:

@mellors- Yes they really wind me up as well, if there were another retailer that would sell a bio steel wad for homeloaders I would immediately switch over. 

I will, however, email maxam and ask for load data. If they supply it then I can compare to the Status Of Steel manual's A-steel loads, good idea. 

@6.5x55SE - I have two tubs of SSB-150, there's no 10 gauge load data on it.

I'll get the data off of mine as it 100% has a 10ga steel shot load printed on the label. I've loaded up a few for my grandson and they certainly kill geese well

6 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

This is very similar to the AS load I use which 42 x 42. I have just loaded some shells using the fibre shot cup with inverted card cup over the powder. Not tried it out yet but will shortly. Have also used the load on the tub and it kills.

Yes Dave i loaded the load on the Tub using Steel 3's 2's and B's for Conor to get used to the Gun on local Grey's in preparation for foreshore Pink's. Personally I've shot a few Grey's and just over a week ago two R&L at Pink's on the Foreshore ( I have a chrono ) in myself and Conor's opinion they kill well in the shot sizes mentioned also he shot a Widgeon and Teal one morning ( after Geese had flighted ) with the B's having forgot to change them 

Interestingly, there is a roughly equivalent load in the status of steel manual:

Cheddite hull

Ched 209 primer (an equivalent of CX2000 from my understanding)

44 grains A Steel

MM1035

1.5 oz Steel

12 grains buffer

Runs at 1540 fps and 10500 psi, or roughly 725 bar. Looks to offer more velocity for less pressure compared to SSB 150.

• 3 weeks later...

Clay and game sent me this data. 

40 grains ssb150

3mm over powder card

Clay and game fibre shot cup trimmed to 50mm.

44 gram of your favourite size

16ga cork filler to get stack height.

Personally I use 42 gram of BB with it and throw an over shot card for a better crimp.

It works perfect through my 10 gauge. Scotland 2 weeks ago I stoned a few at 50 yards! I was very happy with there performance it's all I'm using from now on.

The 48mm is fine aswell, I've had a play. A 48mm with 42gram of bb and a 3mm cork spacer works just as good. Infact it gives you a better crimp. As it gives you around 12.5.mm to crimp which is the 

As for velocity it wasn't published as I've got the lab report from when he first developed it with some wildfowlers Down on the humber that contains pressure only.

Shot a pink at about 40 yards the other week and a pellet went through the breast, breastplate, important stuff and out the other side!

Certainly enough stopping power to do the job.

• 2 years later...