What is the best 100% waterproof coat and leggings available for Beating

Shotkam

I've tried quite a few brands over the years but I need to upgrade and I know there a some real experienced people on here who can advise on what to get next.

All the manufacturers seem to do about 10 different options with different names, so I want to be sure to get the right combination.

I am happy to pay what is required for something that is tough and will last more than a couple of seasons, as generally you need to pay more for quality. Thanks.

I bought a bike off eBay and when collecting it from a seller near Matlock asked the lady if she knew of local gunshops as, while in that area, I'd like to buy some gaiters. She very very kindly said if I waited while she went in her loft I could have a pair the family no longer had use of. Free! They ate these and they seem very good. Also available in red and olive. Set aside five minutes each leg to put them on however! But they do work and work well.

https://highlander-outdoor.com/uk_shop/walking-gaiters-black.html

Edited by enfieldspares

Firstly don't get downbeat with the answers/questions that this topic will throw up, we are all here to help but here goes my opinion.

I'm going to assume you do a bit while beating so if you get a 100% waterproof ( Poncho ) your going to steam from the inside, so you need less than 100% that breathes but how much less than is your choice, top end of waterproofness is something like Fortress Fortex Waterproof Fleece Lined Jacket– Hollands Country Clothing but these kind of jackets rip pretty easy so long lasting they aren't so this then bring in Goretex and the likes which are stronger yet rip your wallet so not ideal for beating but they do look good.

May I suggest you go for something like British Army MTP Lightweight Waterproof Jacket Goretex MVP Used | eBay now I get this is the cammo version but they do similar in olive green with matching bib pants as I have them but you just need to search about the interweb I paid about £120 for pants and coat and they are bullet proof but not barbed wire proof 4 seasons in.

If these ideas are not for you and money is no object then go into any shooting emporium and they will sell you the right gear. I'm only be light hearted at this point but if you tell us more about your shoot ie. Bracken, Thorns, Xmas trees, duck ponds, hills, open countryside then we will point you in the right direction more better

I've actually been at a lifetime I have no hesitation in taking advice from others real life experience of different products.

I beat on all of the above types of terrain.

Rather than mention brands that I know others use I was waiting to hear from our members.

Needs to be respectable to fit in with the sort of game shoots I am on. Deff no camo !

I am thinking a decent bombproof beating coats are going to be 125 - 200 ball park, leggings maybe 65 - 125.

31 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I bought a bike off eBay and when collecting it from a seller near Matlock asked the lady if she knew of local gunshops as, while in that area, I'd like to buy some gaiters. She very very kindly said if I waited while she went in her loft I could have a pair the family no longer had use of. Free! They ate these and they seem very good. Also available in red and olive. Set aside five minutes each leg to put them on however! But they do work and work well.

https://highlander-outdoor.com/uk_shop/walking-gaiters-black.html

I'll take a look - thanks

There are more Jackets than you can shake a stick at - just go for one that’s breathable and fairly abrasion proof which you like the look of. After Christmas there will be a few bargains around.

I can offer some advice re some good trousers. In my humble opinion these don’t need to be breathable like the Jacket. I recently bought some from Decathlon. They are on their website under the heading thermal trousers and are listed as ‘WARM WATERPROOF TROUSERS - 500 GREEN’, price £39.99

They have a heavy woven nylon outer (tough as an old boot) with a fleecy lining. They are cut to bend at the knee. These aren’t any good for mild days, but brilliant for cold windy weather. To be honest I wear them for all sorts of outdoor stuff. Some of my farming friends have them too - for going about on the quad when it’s cold and wet. Hope that helps. 

I've got a pair of Jack Pyke leggings with a full length zip, I've been through everything in them, I've also got a pants and jacket set, they are camouflaged but also great for beating in, there 20 years old probably now and still going strong.

I'd imagine your going to get loads of recommendations for stuff, but I'd go second hand for beating gear these days.

52 minutes ago, twenty said:

I've worn my Lavenir Wearite shooting/beating jacket and leggings on many wet days, neither have let  me down.

Good value as well.......jacket around £90, leggings £26. @ Moonraker Knives.

But that sounds good value. 

1 hour ago, Shotkam said:

I think they may longer be available as cant see on their website - shame.

Hugh, the founder was still alive when I bought them, and I’m not sure when he died, so it was a few years ago admittedly. 
I’ll have a look later and see if I can find them and get back to you if I do. 

On 08/12/2021 at 19:17, twenty said:

I've worn my Lavenir Wearite shooting/beating jacket and leggings on many wet days, neither have let  me down.

Good value as well.......jacket around £90, leggings £26. @ Moonraker Knives.

Hello, the above have a good range of clothing eg Wearite, when I started beating about 50 years ago Barbour was the normal gear, sweaty but would go through brambles and wet days , my son has a deer hunter coat and that's very good,  

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

On 11/12/2021 at 09:36, London Best said:

Two words which should not be used together:

Waterproof and Coat.

Agree .. unless it's made from rubber its not 100% waterproof. I have bought several jackets/coat for bigish money,  when they are hanging up in shop, and have all special "breathe x" material labels on and shop assistant ,that was never out on a wet day, will tell you how good it is. Fully waterproof and breathable don't work. All them jackets/coat do is soak water to leave it 3 times heavier, and you are then wet anyway. Either real gortex or rubber is waterproof. So you have to decide on happy medium..

1 hour ago, Krico woodcock said:

Agree .. unless it's made from rubber its not 100% waterproof. I have bought several jackets/coat for bigish money,  when they are hanging up in shop, and have all special "breathe x" material labels on and shop assistant ,that was never out on a wet day, will tell you how good it is. Fully waterproof and breathable don't work. All them jackets/coat do is soak water to leave it 3 times heavier, and you are then wet anyway. Either real gortex or rubber is waterproof. So you have to decide on happy medium..

Sounds like a case of 'reassuringly expensive' are the 2 words to link !