Boris ...is he a dead man walking.

TRINITY

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Who are you! And what have you done with Ditchy?? Your bang on the money for me.

1676165509_Screenshot_20211217-094945_SamsungInternet.jpg.1b79b748dee51641d6c0acd2945ae095.jpg

1890703361_Screenshot_20211217-095126_SamsungInternet.jpg.b65fe8d11c84c54e643f4b7fe0388482.jpg

So the Lib dems have 13, might now be 14 MPs they will achieve absolutely nothing,  it's a protest vote plain and simple.

dont worry ..............its still me.....i had a full frontal lobotomy last week...and i can now remember my shopping list before i go to the spa shop...onward and upward

3 hours ago, matone said:

Goodbye Boris .

the Liberals are not exactly shouting out .."go home and get ready for goverment"....quite yet...:lol:

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

It must have been expected,  I'm sure even @chrisjpainterpredicted it, all the xmas .party talk, booster talk, possible lockdowns and restrictions,  it was an opportunity to give Boris the finger

🤣 The tea leaves don't lie! Magic in them there waters.

Apparently the Tories had a hideous time campaigning. A lot of Tory voters were telling them they were voting Lib Dem on the doorstep. Retaining a seat that's up for a by election after an ethics scandal is a tough thing, but this will be unnerving them though. 

It is, of course, a protest vote, but it breaks the mould though:

Protest votes usually win when there's a low turn out. But 46% isn't that low.

They're usually defined by the normal winner's voters staying home and a surprise winner getting in by default. Here, Tory voters were actively coming out and voting against their own party.

Protest votes normally win when the seat is quite marginal, where there's something to play for to make enough people think their protest could actually matter. But North Shropshire should have been about as safe as they come. No non-Tory MP since the Reform Act, A Brexity 62% in the previous election and a majority of 23k is a heck of a thing to have overturned just from people getting cross with you. People must be REALLY cross!

The other thing is this by-election shouldn't have happened. It's only come about because Boris directly told Paterson to fight the corruption issue and they'd back him. If he'd just served his 30 days and been acceptably contrite for it, he'd be back in parliament by now. As a direct result of Boris' leadership, he's now at home and the Lib Dems have taken yet another by election. Bad leadership in a bad time on the back of a bad scandal. 

13 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

...... heck of a thing to have overturned just from people getting cross with you. People must be REALLY cross!

The other thing is this by-election shouldn't have happened. It's only come about because Boris directly told Paterson to fight the corruption issue and they'd back him. If he'd just served his 30 days and been acceptably contrite for it, he'd be back in parliament by now. As a direct result of Boris' leadership, he's now at home and the Lib Dems have taken yet another by election. Bad leadership in a bad time on the back of a bad scandal. 

Spot on. Arrogance at his usual lead and Tory sleaze is whats done it.

“The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”

In truth if you've Johnson who has the wokeness of Caroline Lucas towards fieldsports matters, the inclination of Denis Healey regarding tax matters and the behaviour of David Lloyd George in both political and personal morals then why not vote Liberal Democrat anyway? At least you might actually get a rural bus service run for the benefit of the people who subsidise (as they do) it rather than the benefit of Arriva or Stagecoach.

Edited by enfieldspares

49 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Apparently the Tories had a hideous time campaigning. A lot of Tory voters were telling them they were voting Lib Dem on the doorstep. Retaining a seat that's up for a by election after an ethics scandal is a tough thing, but this will be unnerving them though. 

They're usually defined by the normal winner's voters staying home and a surprise winner getting in by default. Here, Tory voters were actively coming out and voting against their own party.

Protest votes normally win when the seat is quite marginal, where there's something to play for to make enough people think their protest could actually matter. But North Shropshire should have been about as safe as they come. No non-Tory MP since the Reform Act, A Brexity 62% in the previous election and a majority of 23k is a heck of a thing to have overturned just from people getting cross with you. People must be REALLY cross!

Yes ,that is all true ,the tories have to have a steadier hand at the wheel quickly IF they want to win the next election.

Boris has indeed turned out to be the liability many forecast ,personally I thought he would do better but I was very wrong!!!!

51 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

I genuinely believe the Tory’s put the wrong candidate in to the by election. I think, from talking to lots of people around here, that if they’d put a more local candidate into the running it would have been a lot closer. No one I spoke to liked the Tory candidate, I believe in this case they’ve voted for the person and not the party. 

4 minutes ago, Medic1281 said:

I genuinely believe the Tory’s put the wrong candidate in to the by election. I think, from talking to lots of people around here, that if they’d put a more local candidate into the running it would have been a lot closer. No one I spoke to liked the Tory candidate, I believe in this case they’ve voted for the person and not the party. 

That's certainly interesting,  and the Tories have done that before expected an easy win, I know the MP for Leigh always used to be from Cambridgeshire,  he probably didn't even know where Leigh was.

7 minutes ago, matone said:

Yes ,that is all true ,the tories have to have a steadier hand at the wheel quickly IF they want to win the next election.

Boris has indeed turned out to be the liability many forecast ,personally I thought he would do better but I was very wrong!!!!

Not really,  Brexit was sorted, they smashed Labour in the last GE, when is the next GE? The Tories won't be calling for an early one that's for sure, plenty of time for lots of things to be changed.

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

That's certainly interesting,  and the Tories have done that before expected an easy win, I know the MP for Leigh always used to be from Cambridgeshire,  he probably didn't even know where Leigh was.

Not really,  Brexit was sorted, they smashed Labour in the last GE, when is the next GE? The Tories won't be calling for an early one that's for sure, plenty of time for lots of things to be changed.

Yes really,if they want those who switched over to elect them in previously Lab heartlands to do so again !!! At the moment they have not done much to persuade them to do so ,which is a crying shame.

43 minutes ago, matone said:

Yes really,if they want those who switched over to elect them in previously Lab heartlands to do so again !!! At the moment they have not done much to persuade them to do so ,which is a crying shame.

There has probably been money moved around but not much else,  no doubt covid will get the blame and the money will get splashed around again nearer election time. 

8 hours ago, ditchman said:

understand entirly what you are saying.........but it takes time to build a politicle party with crederbility...look at germany pre war.....how dire things were......it was at the stage .."anything is better than what we have got".....then there was some clever oritory.....the heavy stamp of boots to take authority...........you know the rest...........

think farage was a man of his time...he did a job...end of..........

what we need to concentrate on is re-developing our connections with the rest of the world....increasing and taking back our manufacturing base.....the country needs to make money...and be free of europe....once we are ..our own people again then we will be in the position to dictate and do what needs to be done...........

I applaud your thought in the last paragraph but I don't ever see us finding the necessary catalyst?

All that the hogs do now is change position at the the trough, grunt and squeal a bit as an expression of  some mythical impression of achievement?

8 minutes ago, old man said:

I applaud your thought in the last paragraph but I don't ever see us finding the necessary catalyst?

All that the hogs do now is change position at the the trough, grunt and squeal a bit as an expression of  some mythical impression of achievement?

If you are looking for hogs at the trough just Google the salaries of Trade Union officials  - make mp's salaries look poor.

4 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

If you are looking for hogs at the trough just Google the salaries of Trade Union officials  - make mp's salaries look poor.

YB. Not surprised about that but their trough is topped up by members who have choices, we don't have a choice as the public purse is always open topped?

3 minutes ago, old man said:

YB. Not surprised about that but their trough is topped up by members who have choices, we don't have a choice as the public purse is always open topped?

But have you even known of a senior official being voted out and although not law in many places you have to be a member to work.

I see Johnson's official investigator of Downing Street parties has stepped down after being found out having his own, looks like Johnson has blown his 'one last chance' in less than a day!!  He must have known and discussed it before appointing him.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10321241/Christmas-parties-held-twice-Cabinet-Secretary-Simon-Cases-offices-sources-say.html

Edited by Weihrauch17

30 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

Lets see if they do as they say the fat controller has to go if he still in they wont get my vote next time

The only problem with that, is who in the cons would you want to see lead the party, the only ones their I trust would possibly be the likes of JRM or a few others but 1, I don't see someone like that taking the lead and 2 even JRM folded and supported Threason Dismays appalling deal before Boris made it slightly better. 

I simply no long trust the tory party, there's nothing Conservative left about them, I'd take a handful of MPs from them and put them under Farage and we'd have a super party, unfortunately that won't happen either. 

16 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

if he is still in. do we want labour in i think not,

Hello, I would have said no with Corbyn ,but depends who Keir Starmer has in his cabinet but it will be be in true labour fashion with to many lefties , is there any MP who would put the country first ?? and not there to feather their nest of corruption

2 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

Lets see if they do as they say the fat controller has to go if he still in they wont get my vote next time

Saying in the papers this morning he has 6 months to sort things out, but on the opposite page it's described as an advent calendar with something going wrong every day, can he manage 6 more days 😅😅

but I don't imagine many wanting to jump into his shoes at the moment.

And imagine choosing someone to investigate the parties who had their own party,  that's a new level of stupid.

14 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Saying in the papers this morning he has 6 months to sort things out, but on the opposite page it's described as an advent calendar with something going wrong every day, can he manage 6 more days 😅😅

but I don't imagine many wanting to jump into his shoes at the moment.

And imagine choosing someone to investigate the parties who had their own party,  that's a new level of stupid.

I would think the only reason the other parties didn’t have a party is because they couldn’t organise a **** up in a brewery. 

16 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

But have you even known of a senior official being voted out and although not law in many places you have to be a member to work.

Nope, granted.

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I would have said no with Corbyn ,but depends who Keir Starmer has in his cabinet but it will be be in true labour fashion with to many lefties , is there any MP who would put the country first ?? and not there to feather their nest of corruption

No. I certainly can't think of one opp. It seems to be a mandatory admission qualification?