Boris ...is he a dead man walking.

TRINITY

Boris will likely survive - being a journalist by trade he'll reason that it will all just blow over and the truth/being truthful are not typically things he's had to worry about much in the past. He'll just bumble along in buffoon mode as per normal which for regular people is almost impossible to fight against/work with. 

The Conservative party have a big problem in that there isn't really a viable alternative candidate in the personality stakes - 'economies of the truth' are tools of the trade in politics and being faintly amusing in the process will make him difficult move on.

I've heard that the Downing Street cat is a decent fellow so my money is on him...

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Cosmicblue said:

Boris will likely survive - being a journalist by trade he'll reason that it will all just blow over and the truth/being truthful are not typically things he's had to worry about much in the past. He'll just bumble along in buffoon mode as per normal which for regular people is almost impossible to fight against/work with. 

The Conservative party have a big problem in that there isn't really a viable alternative candidate in the personality stakes - 'economies of the truth' are tools of the trade in politics and being faintly amusing in the process will make him difficult move on.

I've heard that the Downing Street cat is a decent fellow so my money is on him...

And it'd need someone squeaky clean who didn't get photo'd at any parties during covid rool's.

4 hours ago, bluesj said:

For those that think its no big deal that the PM and powers that be broke their own rules.

Do you think that having broke the rules or at the very least bent then to near breaking point and then lied about it the PM would be a fit person to hold a FAC?

I’m not defending Boris, he’s let everyone down, including himself, but they’re politicians;  I really don’t know why anyone would find this surprising. I’d be more surprised to discover no one had flouted the laws.
We all claim to be squeaky clean as responsible firearms holders, but there are plenty of ticket holders out there breaking rules and flouting laws on a daily basis. 

20 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’m not defending Boris, he’s let everyone down, including himself, but they’re politicians;  I really don’t know why anyone would find this surprising. I’d be more surprised to discover no one had flouted the laws.
We all claim to be squeaky clean as responsible firearms holders, but there are plenty of ticket holders out there breaking rules and flouting laws on a daily basis. 

The big difference is other people didn't make the rules and expect everyone else to stick to the or be penalised the PM did! I don't care really if joe blogs  kept to the rules or not and I don't care if he got a big fine for not keeping to them but  I am a little more than ****** off that the person that is in charge and made up the rules didn't think that they should apply to him and his mates and just gave all of us the middle finger.

1 hour ago, bluesj said:

The big difference is other people didn't make the rules and expect everyone else to stick to the or be penalised the PM did! I don't care really if joe blogs  kept to the rules or not and I don't care if he got a big fine for not keeping to them but  I am a little more than ****** off that the person that is in charge and made up the rules didn't think that they should apply to him and his mates and just gave all of us the middle finger.

Fair enough, but I think if you’re expecting politicians to abide by rules, policy or even law instigated by them, then you’re going to spend a lot of your life being ****** off. 
It has always been thus. Think about it. 
Politicians treat being ‘caught out’ as one of the risks of being a politician, and just ‘jolly bad luck.’ 

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

Fair enough, but I think if you’re expecting politicians to abide by rules, policy or even law instigated by them, then you’re going to spend a lot of your life being ****** off. 
It has always been thus. Think about it. 
Politicians treat being ‘caught out’ as one of the risks of being a politician, and just ‘jolly bad luck.’ 

Don't get me wrong I know that being lieing, cheating scum that couldn't make it in the real world is a prerequisite for a politician. 

3 hours ago, bluesj said:

Why are you surprised as his ilk have always acted that way?

18 hours ago, zipdog said:

I am definitely not a friend of someone spouting them opinions. 

Nearly everyone in the 15-25 year old age bracket abided to the rules. As a young(ish) person myself it is insulting of you to suggest otherwise. 

We was told from the very start of this thing that Covid-19 was unlikely to affect us badly, but it was our duty to ‘lockdown’ for the good of the older generation. Lockdown we did.

I agree that a fair few of the ‘old boys’ (80+) decided that lockdown wasn’t for them but that wasn’t the 15-25 year old age bracket as you so claim!

As above I love to see pictures of you, and all your badass mates, and all the 25 year olds, breaking the first lockdown rules, Im confident you have none. 

I've got a few pictures of my 4 year old son shaving my hair if that's any good? 😀

Let me be clear, I'm not trying to be abrasive or shout you down at all.  I'm simply trying to point out that you have made a few sweeping statements - from your own point of view and experiences - which just cannot be representative of the entire populace.

I witnessed with my own eyes, or was told from very reliable sources, or read news articles of many, many instances of people flouting the lockdown laws during March - June 2020.  Although it certainly was not limited to the 15-25 age bracket they certainly did feature prominently.  I'm talking about them being out around town, hanging about in groups, going back to each others' houses, having parties etc etc. 

I'm sorry you feel insulted because you're in that age bracket - obviously you've been sensible and selfless enough to abide by the spirit of the lockdown laws, but it's a very plain fact that many others in your peer group didn't.

6 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

I've got a few pictures of my 4 year old son shaving my hair if that's any good? 😀

Let me be clear, I'm not trying to be abrasive or shout you down at all.  I'm simply trying to point out that you have made a few sweeping statements - from your own point of view and experiences - which just cannot be representative of the entire populace.

I witnessed with my own eyes, or was told from very reliable sources, or read news articles of many, many instances of people flouting the lockdown laws during March - June 2020.  Although it certainly was not limited to the 15-25 age bracket they certainly did feature prominently.  I'm talking about them being out around town, hanging about in groups, going back to each others' houses, having parties etc etc. 

I'm sorry you feel insulted because you're in that age bracket - obviously you've been sensible and selfless enough to abide by the spirit of the lockdown laws, but it's a very plain fact that many others in your peer group didn't.

👍 I do understand your points, but it is a rather difficult pill swallow for those who abided by the rules.

53 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

Totally irrelevant to the very people setting the rules breaking their very own rules.

Mere Plebs breaking the rules imposed on them are dealt with by the Law and fines.

Rule makers breaking their very own rules should be dealt with by the sack, Johnson included.

Edited by Weihrauch17

37 minutes ago, zipdog said:

👍 I do understand your points, but it is a rather difficult pill swallow for those who abided by the rules.

Yep, I hear you.  I think millions of people feel the same, having spent weeks virtually under house arrest whilst watching others seemingly carry on their lives as normal.  Takes the mickey but we just have to stick to our guns and do what we feel is right for us, in our own situations.

3 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Totally irrelevant to the very people setting the rules breaking their very own rules., 

Are you a parent?

1 minute ago, Jim Neal said:

Yep, I hear you.  I think millions of people feel the same, having spent weeks virtually under house arrest whilst watching others seemingly carry on their lives as normal.  Takes the mickey but we just have to stick to our guns and do what we feel is right for us, in our own situations.

Are you a parent?

Yes thx.  I have a 25 year old year daughter who has had no social life during restrictions and a 17 year old son who has missed half his schooling in the same period.  Number 10's actions are a total and utter disgrace, the whole bloody lot can go for me.

Edited by Weihrauch17

46 minutes ago, zipdog said:

Of course it is, but that's why the lockdowns happened,  while the majority did as they were asked, enough simply wouldn't so everyone was treated the same.

Saturdays Daily mail shows Starmer inside drinking a beer on April 30, 2021 shock horror, but I doubt he'll offer his resignation nor will all the labour MPs, Lib dems and SNP making noise last week call for it, people who live in glass houses...

14 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

Then can you say in all honesty that you've never been guilty of double standards?

Don't get me wrong I am not impressed at all by the Downing Street party thing.  I just think we've got different things to worry about now.

Not that I can think off in relation to Covid restrictions or anything else. I don't do double standards, I have no reason to have any.

Edited by Weihrauch17

9 hours ago, Mice! said:

Of course it is, but that's why the lockdowns happened,  while the majority did as they were asked, enough simply wouldn't so everyone was treated the same.

Saturdays Daily mail shows Starmer inside drinking a beer on April 30, 2021 shock horror, but I doubt he'll offer his resignation nor will all the labour MPs, Lib dems and SNP making noise last week call for it, people who live in glass houses...

Labour MPs are defending him!!! Saw it on TV yesterday, Tory MP said explain it and labour chap shouted yes shouted back saying it was a work event . You really can't make this up. 

I will admit I didn't stick to an hour a day exercise. I took dog out in morning for a walk and afternoon for a walk. I was in middle of fields with no one else round me. If I saw others while walking to the field I'd cross road and be more than far enough away from them.

10 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Wow, go you!  Mind you don't bash your halo whilst you climb up into your ivory tower 😁

Behaviour in No 10 goes way beyond double standards, they have been laughing at us the whole way through the Pandemic aptly demonstrated by the Allegra Stratton video.  So does misleading Parliament twice.

37 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Behaviour in No 10 goes way beyond double standards, they have been laughing at us the whole way through the Pandemic aptly demonstrated by the Allegra Stratton video.  So does misleading Parliament twice.

on the money lie after lie after bare faced lie topped of with two fingers in voters faces obviously some people enjoy being taken for mugs 

Do you think that having broke the rules or at the very least bent then to near breaking point and then lied about it the PM would be a fit person to hold a FAC?

If any of us had friends who were paedophiles or who trafficked children and the Police were aware of our unsavoury friendships, do you think we would retain our licences? Step forward Pince Andrew.

14 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Totally irrelevant to the very people setting the rules breaking their very own rules.

Mere Plebs breaking the rules imposed on them are dealt with by the Law and fines.

Rule makers breaking their very own rules should be dealt with by the sack, Johnson included.

Oh well, so no PM and no leader of the opposition or do Labour leaders only have to follow rules when in power, like errr Blair?

2 hours ago, amateur said:

Oh well, so no PM and no leader of the opposition or do Labour leaders only have to follow rules when in power, like errr Blair?

Don't understand that??  Anyone breaking the rules would be subject to Fines etc.  But the very people making the rules and then breaking them should be sacked IMHO, they have to lead by example and they simply haven't on any front. 

Edited by Weihrauch17

33 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Don't understand that??  Anyone breaking the rules would be subject to Fines etc.  But the very people making the rules and then breaking them should be sacked IMHO, they have to lead by example and they simply haven't on any front. 

And if there's no viable/near full party approved 'untainted' alternative?

Edited by Dave-G

4 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Boris is ultimately responsible along with the Civil Servants writing the rules, he goes and the Tories get a new Leader. 

That's no answer. :-) What if there is nobody in the Tory party who would get more support than Boris?

Edited by Dave-G