Urgent advice needed please

countryman

It really should be a problem that can be managed if not solved. 

There's a few on this forum who must have put down multiple dogs before deciding to keep one, dogs aren't a home computer that you can select an exact spec and is faulty if it doesn't meet their ideals and some things need working at. 

It'd be hilarious if not so sad that it's the same ones giving out advice on here almost smugly self assured they're an expert who immediately advise people to instantly put a dog down that can almost certainly be fixed. Teaching a dog tricks is easy, fixing problems is what separates the men from the boys when it comes to dog training. 

33 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

It really should be a problem that can be managed if not solved. 

There's a few on this forum who must have put down multiple dogs before deciding to keep one, dogs aren't a home computer that you can select an exact spec and is faulty if it doesn't meet their ideals and some things need working at. 

It'd be hilarious if not so sad that it's the same ones giving out advice on here almost smugly self assured they're an expert who immediately advise people to instantly put a dog down that can almost certainly be fixed. Teaching a dog tricks is easy, fixing problems is what separates the men from the boys when it comes to dog training. 

Well said 👍

I'm not and never have been a dog owner, but have been heavily involved in my GF's ESS's,,,, four for a short time, then three, then two, now three again, and it has opened my eyes to dog behaviour and our interactions with them. Some on here need to step back and think before commenting 🤔

My first thoughts on reading the OP was,,,, who's in control here,,,, the dog it seems!

An up date on this situation, my Daughter has decided not to re home and I don’t think putting the dog down was ever an option for her, the Dalmatian has never been aggressive to people even around food, the incident happened when some food fell out the car at home , the Dalmatian was eating it and the little dog took some as well, that’s when she grabbed her and locked onto her, she is now separated and on her own with a muzzle on inside , the two dogs have been in sight of each other and neither of them have shown aggression to each other but will not be put together any more, the Dalmatian will always be fed on her own from now . The little dog is making a good recovery and has had her drain removed. I have had the Dalmatian to day, I’ve fed her and taken her food off her and she let me with no aggression, she is so placid with people, has been from a puppy, my Daughter is not new to dogs and she will keep watching her. 

8 minutes ago, countryman said:

An up date on this situation, my Daughter has decided not to re home and I don’t think putting the dog down was ever an option for her, the Dalmatian has never been aggressive to people even around food, the incident happened when some food fell out the car at home , the Dalmatian was eating it and the little dog took some as well, that’s when she grabbed her and locked onto her, she is now separated and on her own with a muzzle on inside , the two dogs have been in sight of each other and neither of them have shown aggression to each other but will not be put together any more, the Dalmatian will always be fed on her own from now . The little dog is making a good recovery and has had her drain removed. I have had the Dalmatian to day, I’ve fed her and taken her food off her and she let me with no aggression, she is so placid with people, has been from a puppy, my Daughter is not new to dogs and she will keep watching her. 

Glad to hear it, the advice I gave is a good strategy for any dog from a puppy, it teaches the dog hands in its food bowl is a good thing and you can progress to hand feeding their portion in handfuls from the bowl once you know they're safe.

13 hours ago, countryman said:

Oh well done your daughter, I hope all goes well 😊

I agree poor advice off a vet. If every dog was put down that went for another dog there wouldn't be many left. You will notice the little dog will now have its eye on the big one going forward and tread carefully. Hopefully as well it was made clear to the big dog at the time it shouldn't really be doing that either so all will be well under normal circumstances. Goes with out saying as well never leave dogs unattended together if there is a size difference no matter how well they get on

Edited by captainhastings

• 4 weeks later...