Back up guns

Townie

In forty years I've only ever once known of someone having an need of a back up gun. The firing pin broke in their right barrel whilst in Scotland walking up grouse. By luck and careful manipulation when reloading they were able to continue using the gun with both barrels functioning by letting the broken end just rest in the hole in the breech face.

Yes. It spoils a day when you are down to a single barrel. It's happened to me on clays. Happened to a friend on a game day. My Wabbitbosher special comes as my reserve gun, and as it's fitted to shoot the same as my OU I'd be happy using it. 

Sometimes though a case of new gun syndrome would be welcome.

I was on a syndicate shoot about 10 years ago and a member’s gun completely failed. Wouldn’t fire at all. Nobody had a spare gun. He plucked up courage to knock on the farmhouse door and ask there. It was known that the farmer didn’t shoot, but the chap came back from the farmhouse with a big smile. He was loaned a beautiful Purdy. Must have been a family retainer. Knot known for his sharp shooting shall we say, there was a lot of banter and amusement, as he couldn’t hit much with the Purdy either. 

Years ago I met a man from the north east of Scotland at a shoot in the Borders. He and I  stayed the previous evening with the hosts.

He unloaded his car at the same time as I did and he had three leather gun cases with guns in each. As it was a single gun day I asked him about his armoury. He said he had a spare for his main gun and a spare for his spare.

He had also loaded provisions and shovels should he get stuck. No snow was forecast.

I have had a week shooting and fishing in Scotland every year for many years and now always take a 'spare' gun - having had a very annoying need for one some years ago. 

I had taken an almost new o/u Beretta only to find on day 2 (out of about 4 or 5 days shooting) one barrel was unreliable (frequent misfires caused by the tumbler 'dragging' on the woodwork of the stock that had slightly swollen due to the first day being wet).  The ghillie looking after us actually asked me why I was not taking a second shot - and after I showed him several lightly dented primers - I did at least get some sympathy!

I had a spare gun ......... in my cabinet at home 500 miles away.

Since that occasion I have always taken a spare - but I don't think ever needed it again.

Father in law always takes at least one spare sometimes a couple if he fancies swapping to his 12 instead of his 20.

Sent me merrily on my first driven day 3 years ago. Boot full of cartridges and 2 guns. Set up at the first drive, shoot at the first bird that comes over and the top lever pops off the gun! Didn't lose any pieces and managed open and unload it and nip back to the truck without too much interuption. I didn't know any of the syndicate then but I do now and most of them have spare guns too so I would have probably been able to borrow one but it would have been very embarrassing!

For a single day I probably don’t depending on the company as the shoot can normally magic something up if I’d need it.  More than one day away from home yes I take a spare.  

With clients I always have a spare gun.  I always carry a spare slab of 12 and 20s never needed them for my clients but I have loaned to their friends! 

16 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

In almost 50 years of shooting, I have known several occasions where a spare has been required. 

I think if you have a second gun, it makes sense to have it available - providing of course it can be kept safe and secure when waiting to be 'called upon'.

I think your comments re ‘safe and secure’ are highly valid. I personally don’t like leaving a gun in my vehicle unattended - even if it’s on the side of a country road. Let’s face it - there is only a very fragile sheet of glass between a thief and the gun inside. An opportunist low life wouldn’t hesitate to have a poke around.  Not so bad if parked away across the fields near a drive. 

I occasionally take a second stand by which is identical to my '1 gun but it is always securely retained.  On many days I know the shoot organiser has a spare gun with him just in case someone has a problem.  Yes, security is the problem but that is just down to common sense.  Ok I shoot a 410 so carrying two guns to a peg is little more than carrying the 32 inch 12 gauge cannons prefered by some.  Yes I have had a couple of problems in the last five years probably over about 120 days driven.

Knowing of an actual incident involving shoot vehicles being broken into during lunch break, I would be reluctant to leave a spare gun in my unattended vehicle when shooting. Using an old English gun (while I still can ), they are probably more likely to break than a modern gun with coil springs, IF I felt a need to take a spare gun, maybe leave it at the Keepers house in case of need. If your spare gun was to be stolen from your unattended vehicle, I would suggest that your Certificate could be revoked  ?

I was a loader one day on a shoot where the vehicles were parked one drive on a private road and everyone was the other side of a long lake. A scum bag pulled up in a van, helped himself to four brace of pheasants from the game cart and then went down the line of (mostly expensive) vehicles trying all the doors. All were locked except my Series One Land Rover, which had no door locks. Unfortunately, I had left my mobile phone on the seat so he took that and drove off whilst we watched, powerless, from the other side of a hundred yard wide stretch of water.

Just now, Scully said:

It’s never occurred to me to take a backup. Now it has, maybe I should. I’d hate to miss out on a good day due to a faulty gun. 

It is also a spoiler to a day if you have a small fault such as an 'occasional' misfire, occasional 'single trigger' issues etc.  My own gun fails (have usually arisen on clays luckily and) have either been limited to one barrel (broken firing pin or mainspring) or annoyingly intermittent (cracked firing pin, tumbler drag, single trigger issues).  Not having the confidence it will 'go off' does spoil the day!

Funnily enough I had to use my spare last weekend! 

I usually shoot an old army and navy none ejector and it’s been bulletproof since owning it. Usually I shoot fairly close to home or near friends homes so any issues we can help each other out but so far we’ve all been fine. 

however I travelled to Inverness (about 300 miles) to shoot with someone I’ve not seen in a while and thought I’d pack a spare just in case, an aya no 4 I bought at auction last year but have never used ( I know, I know...) 

on the second drive my A&N felt spongey as I was closing it and upon investigation the bit of trigger guard that braces the action to the stock had snapped and the action was flexing away from the stock so that was the army and navy out of order. 

luckily I had the aya but I’d never shot it and knew it was too short, however I usually pick anything up and shoot acceptably so I thought it’s better than not shooting at all! 

stood along a river bank in a gully with a steady stream of good high partridges and the first barrel wouldn’t fire, leaving me with just the left barrel to use, both barrels ejecting even though the right hasn’t fired and every time I pull the trigger the gun jumping from my shoulder! An absolute miracle I hit anything at all! 
luckily after 6/7 shots the first barrel started working and the ejectors began behaving properly. 

some borrowed tape and the silvers pad unscrewed from the army and navy gave me some much needed length to the stock and I was good for the last 2 drives, where you guessed it.... I never got a shot! But I’m out again tomorrow and have to take the aya so hopefully we’ll get along better this time! 

Rarely take a spare gun on a day as I view it as a added security worry  

however last weekend I was away for a few days shooting pheasant and had a friend travelling with me also shooting so we decided to take a spare 

i think he wanted to try it really anyway first drive my gun started to eject both cartridges every time even if I’d only fired one barrel irrespective of which barrels I had fired 40 minutes of frustration and a pile of unfired cartridges on the floor 

not the end of the world but it spoiled the drive and to be honest took the edge off the day 

fortunately the backup gun was faultless