Has anyone on here had a 110 landrover converted from manual to automatic

The Heron

I have a 90 and looked at putting an auto box in but my local Land Rover man said it was a big operation so I shelved the idea and stuck with the Spanish 5 speed LT85.

Seats wise. The centre divider has been removed from mine so the standard seats sit farther back and I ...6ft plus...can sit quite comfortably in it. This mod makes a big difference BUT there are choices and choices to replace the stadard with custom seats of all kinds but mainly of the competition bucket type.  The one problem being the box section under the seat cannot be altered which restricts the depth of seat you can fit.

A local farmer friend has a 90 with 300 tdi and auto box from a Discovery 1.  
I have only been a passenger in it, not driver, but it reminded me very much of when I had a 300 tdi auto Discovery. That is to say, the transmission did not “lock up” until around 50 mph, which I always found annoying.

On 09/12/2021 at 14:51, The Heron said:

As above also has anyone replaced the original seats with more comfortable ones. 

I did a number of 3.5V8s many years ago then did my 200tdi 110 about 12 years ago followed by a friends 300tdi after he'd tried mine.

Absolutely transforms the vehicle, so much nicer to drive, especially off road.

I've had over 40 years in the motor trade with plenty of experience of conversions and fabrication, and It's quite a big job done properly.

It's not going to be cheap if you're paying someone else to do it.

Feel free to ask me any questions you like.

With regard to seats, it's really a question of personal taste, what others find comfortable you may not.

Also a seat that's comfortable in the vehicle it came out of may not be as good within the constraints of a Defender body.

For me, the best option would be good rebuilt standard seats (later Puma type if you can get them) on seat rails that let the seat go back further.

Edited by Wymondley

2 hours ago, Wymondley said:

I did a number of 3.5V8s many years ago then did my 200tdi 110 about 12 years ago followed by a friends 300tdi after he'd tried mine.

Absolutely transforms the vehicle, so much nicer to drive, especially off road.

I've had over 40 years in the motor trade with plenty of experience of conversions and fabrication, and It's quite a big job done properly.

It's not going to be cheap if you're paying someone else to do it.

Feel free to ask me any questions you like.

With regard to seats, it's really a question of personal taste, what others find comfortable you may not.

Also a seat that's comfortable in the vehicle it came out of may not be as good within the constraints of a Defender body.

For me, the best option would be good rebuilt standard seats (later Puma type if you can get them) on seat rails that let the seat go back further.

Good answer.

Personally, I have no issues with the front seat comfort of a 110.