Safe treats to give to keep energy levels up on shoot day

Kiwi/highlander

5 hours ago, Krico woodcock said:

Would you not just feed the pigeon breast or chicken raw? I know I've said it before but  dogs have to be physically able and built well,  then  they have  develop fitness levels then fed properly,  nuts or kibble as it's more better known on here, won't be much good on its own.  Raw tripe and beef on top of kibble. Fed well night before. Never feed in morning. That system, combined with a strong dog should have no problem working hard all day. 

I've never ventured in to the raw diet thing.  I'd probably end up giving my dogs the squits or something.....

Dry complete food on its own is fine for maintenance, that's what it's designed for?  But I completely agree it is good to intermittently supplement with extra protein to build muscle mass and condition if your dog's working life demands peak fitness.

One significant factor of that is the breed of dog, the other is how often and how hard you work them.  A labrador that accompanies its owner on a beat one / stand one shoot 8 times a year isn't going to need anywhere near as much attention to its physical fitness as a spaniel that beats all day 30 times per season and is trained fairly hard in between times.

Number of meals per day and at what time of day is somewhat a personal choice, no right or wrong answer, and in my experiences it's led by what the dogs wants/needs.  I've found with my spaniels that they do best having around one third of their daily amount in the morning and the rest early evening after they've been exercised and rested a while.

When it's the depth of winter and a big day planned. . . . . . Pasta with their meal the night before and 2 x large eggs scrambled with a teaspoon of peanut butter ( the NO PALM OIL type ) 1st thing in the morning which when I do it is about 3hrs before the 1st drive. A couple of chopped hotdog sausages at lunchtime.

When it's not too cold or such a busy day then wind it back a little bit

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, sam triple said:

5kg £75 ,1 kg lasts the 2 dogs approximately a month 

FCA27A46-FCDE-4086-B36C-196F230BDD64.jpeg

With them being dried, do they still contain the good fats and oils? If so they would put a great shine on a dogs coat.

My grandfather used to add a little drop olive oil or cod liver oil into his dogs bowls back in the 80s when he had a lab and cocker and my mum said their coats were really glossy from it.

2 hours ago, Rob85 said:

With them being dried, do they still contain the good fats and oils? If so they would put a great shine on a dogs coat.

My grandfather used to add a little drop olive oil or cod liver oil into his dogs bowls back in the 80s when he had a lab and cocker and my mum said their coats were really glossy from it.

Yes still contain all of their natural goodness