Head Spinning

The Heron

I have a landrover 110 at the moment but I am looking for a more comfortable 4x4 vehicle the trouble is that after reading loads of reviews and listening to loads opinions I am more confused than ever so if the pigeon watch massive would like to tell me what they would buy and why that would be most appreciated. 

I have a Dacia Duster prestige at the moment, 2017 model 1500 4x4 diesel. Had it from new and used it for towing small caravan, fishing and shooting, had no issues with it at all.

Not the most powerful 4x4 on the road but quite comfortable, and good for all but the most serious off roading.

3 hours ago, discobob said:

I'll give you £50 for the 110 if you want to get rid of it 😉

I'll up that to £100

44 minutes ago, Tonka54 said:

I have a Dacia Duster prestige at the moment, 2017 model 1500 4x4 diesel. Had it from new and used it for towing small caravan, fishing and shooting, had no issues with it at all.

Not the most powerful 4x4 on the road but quite comfortable, and good for all but the most serious off roading.

Have a couple of friends who run these and on sensible off road they go where I go with the Landy. Deep ruts obviously are a NO NO. Sizeable boot area as well.

Choices choices really. There is little doubt that the truck/cab pickups available today do the job but I would be scared to pay that much money and then take it where I sometimes take my Defender.   Whatever you have it is not immune from breaking down. I saw a relatively new Bentley being winched onto a recovery truck a week or so ago.     The only problem I have with the pickups is tht the interiors are just to plush, to many places for things to drop and never be found and get the mud off.

13 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Choices choices really. There is little doubt that the truck/cab pickups available today do the job but I would be scared to pay that much money and then take it where I sometimes take my Defender.   Whatever you have it is not immune from breaking down. I saw a relatively new Bentley being winched onto a recovery truck a week or so ago.     The only problem I have with the pickups is tht the interiors are just to plush, to many places for things to drop and never be found and get the mud off.

I run an 20year old Isuzu Trooper and like yourself would never spend all that money on something that get used and abused. Back seat folded down to give me more room when hauling wood, good size and comfy cab.

43 minutes ago, ditchman said:

get something that is comfortable and cleans well.......then put a small 1 tonne winch on the front..........you will never be stuck...

Good plan 🤔

pull yourself further into the swamp 

put it in the back then you can use it to winch deer carcasses in as well as pull yourself out of the hole 

When in the States I used a 'come along' quite often. So imoressed with the ability to recover anyhting up to Two ton I purchased one back here in the UK and never had reason to use it .................  now that's done it, bound to get the Landy bogged down now.

The joy of Come Alongs is they can be hitched almost anywhere you can pull a motor without damaging the body. I've even seen one roll a truck back on it's wheels  when it was lay on it's side.

17 hours ago, London Best said:

The problem I have with pick-ups is mostly they are just too big. Not on the road, no problems there, but just try manoeuvring one through a wood, particularly if you need to reverse between trees to turn round.

They are big granted, but so is a Landrover 110 the chap already owns! 

2 hours ago, Wilts#Dave said:

They are big granted, but so is a Landrover 110 the chap already owns! 

Believe it or not, a 110 has almost exactly the same plan view (length and width) as a Ford Cortina Mk1 from 1962! They only look big because of their height. The lack of steering lock is a disadvantage though. I have run 110 Station Wagons for 21 years intermittently since the 1980’s.