Head Spinning

The Heron

19 hours ago, Walker570 said:

When in the States I used a 'come along' quite often. So imoressed with the ability to recover anyhting up to Two ton I purchased one back here in the UK and never had reason to use it .................  now that's done it, bound to get the Landy bogged down now.

The joy of Come Alongs is they can be hitched almost anywhere you can pull a motor without damaging the body. I've even seen one roll a truck back on it's wheels  when it was lay on it's side.

I had to Google "come along" as I'd never heard of one. We used to have heavy duty type things when I worked down the pit.

Looks a handy tool to have in the boot of your car.

It is a true finger pincher if your careless and don't be fooled into buying the cheapest as the gear on those will eventually disintegrate. The solid gear models are best..

Your thinking of a Turfor which is a much heavier more powerful tool, used a lot down in collieris for pulling out the props at a safe distance.  I have actually pulled out small trees with one of those.

On 15/12/2021 at 13:19, Walker570 said:

When in the States I used a 'come along' quite often. So imoressed with the ability to recover anyhting up to Two ton I purchased one back here in the UK and never had reason to use it .................  now that's done it, bound to get the Landy bogged down now.

The joy of Come Alongs is they can be hitched almost anywhere you can pull a motor without damaging the body. I've even seen one roll a truck back on it's wheels  when it was lay on it's side.

Yes indeed, I second the use of a come-along, in fact I prefer it to a winch, I find it much more versatile, when used in conjunction with "D" shackles, recovery rings, webs and a couple of good nylon ropes you can rig up for just about any situation.

All this gear packs into a single 30ltr plastic tub and the come-along sits on the top, it fits nicely into the boot of my Duster. As a back up system when I need all the boot space, I keep a couple of 75mm 10ton ratchet straps inside the spare wheel rim, one is used as a brake whilst the other one is adjusted, takes a while to recover anything but it is surefire.👌 

On 15/12/2021 at 16:32, London Best said:

On 15/12/2021 at 16:32, London Best said:

Believe it or not, a 110 has almost exactly the same plan view (length and width) as a Ford Cortina Mk1 from 1962! They only look big because of their height. The lack of steering lock is a disadvantage though. I have run 110 Station Wagons for 21 years intermittently since the 1980’s.

They’re still ungainly things to drive though, wouldn’t say my pickup is any less agile but agree they’re big old motors. 
The newer pickups have got much bigger than the older ones too, I must admit I always liked the landrover 90’s as their small stature makes them so easy to manoeuvre! 

Edited by Wilts#Dave

But the 90 still gives that pitching just behind the front axle, just like the old 88 inch, so the seat back hits you in the back. Brilliantly manoeuvrable and extremely capable off road, but for comfort (???) I’ll take a 110 any day. Personally, I find them much less ungainly to drive than Ranger/Hilux/Dmax/L200, and yes, I have driven them all, some quite extensively. The only Jap pick-up which could tempt me would be a 70 series Landcruiser.

3 hours ago, London Best said:

But the 90 still gives that pitching just behind the front axle, just like the old 88 inch, so the seat back hits you in the back. Brilliantly manoeuvrable and extremely capable off road, but for comfort (???) I’ll take a 110 any day. Personally, I find them much less ungainly to drive than Ranger/Hilux/Dmax/L200, and yes, I have driven them all, some quite extensively. The only Jap pick-up which could tempt me would be a 70 series Landcruiser.

As with a lot of things, comes down to opinion in the end.
Personally I find the opposite, defenders in general way behind in terms of comfort and drive over the modern pickups!