Hard work!

dead eye alan

Yesterday I was called to a new farm to look at a rape field blue over he said! On arrival hundreds lifted and circled round and drifted further down and landed, I could see hundreds more in the trees at the far end, the rape was well established but that did not seem to deter the determined pigeons from landing on any part of it. I watched for an hour no particular flight line into it just continual lifting and then landing again and others joining from any angle. 200 yards wide with a river down one side and a dog walking path on the far bank it was going to be difficult to shoot, A short talk with the owner resulted in a plan he gave me a box of rope bangers result already, the plan for today a banger at the far end and shoot the nice easy to get to end, an old stack of last years straw bails was gradually rotting away was the perfect spot to have behind me so I could shoot away from the path. The only problem was to be able to retrieve the shot birds I needed to put the rotary just 20 yards out on a low patch. I changed my choke to cylinder on the Hatsan, and took my old bolt action 410 but only had 25 cartridges for this. Set up at 9am then drove over 3 grass fields to set the banger lit the fuse and drove back to the hide connected the battery to the magnet and added a flapper sat down at 10am, first 2 in before I had loaded strait to the magnet! Loaded the 410 a minuet later another strait in and duly  missed it doe! as the day went on I had a steady flow of birds singles mostly but groups as well ran out of 410 cartridges by 11.30, 11 on the clicker, by 1pm I added a further 15 on the clicker, I had picked up a couple of times but only 16 birds it now started to rain so packed up before I got drenched again found another 4 birds with out trampling it to much on the way out I picked up 1 more that had dropped over the hedge. So not a bad day and the plan worked well. 😃

Always exciting when you have a day on a new perm and you no doubt studied where the activity came from and the best ( safe ) positions on the field , this could well make your next visit more productive , anyhow you had some sport and apart from the rain it wasn't a bad day to be out. 

We had a game shoot on today and the place was completely devoid of Pigeons and not one was added to the bag , we have got a few fields of Rape and up to now none of them have been touched , strange how it vary up and down the country , still our turn might come before long .

17 hours ago, marsh man said:

We had a game shoot on today and the place was completely devoid of Pigeons and not one was added to the bag , we have got a few fields of Rape and up to now none of them have been touched , strange how it vary up and down the country , still our turn might come before long .

The pigeons have just started on the rape around here, so perhaps next week I will bag a few during my few hours out. Hopefully you will be able to have a go at them on the rape shortly MM.

Well done Alan and a nice report of your day.

OB