Leaving firearms at an address you don't live at anymore - what is reasonable

Confused

My ex partner has moved out of our joint mortgaged house into another house that he has a mortgage on, he has moved all of his personal possessions except for his shotguns (which are currently locked away in a proper cabinet with two keys that only he has access to).  The police have told me that he can leave them there because they are correctly locked away and he is on the mortgage, even though he doesn't live at the house anymore.  I don't have a license to keep them which the police say they're fine with because my ex is on the mortgage and the guns are correctly locked away.  Does this make any sense to anyone because it's not making any sense to me, surely you have to keep them at the address you actually live at.  My ex says he has no intention of moving them before we finish mediation (he knows I'd like them moved to his house) which hasn't even started yet, assessment meeting is in January.  How can it be possible to leave firearms in a house that you don't live in anymore, it just doesn't seem reasonable to me that that is considered within the law, what am I missing, can anyone explain this to me?

Just because he has moved out due to your split, and I am guessing it's bad enough that you can't share a house with separate rooms, that he has moved out to reduce any pressure or stress. This is the sensible choice, especially if he has a second home he can move into.

Moving into a second property during a divorce doesn't mean he automatically gives up residency or that address as a primary storage location. I think you should be blessed and grateful you are afforded the space and time apart to do it as amicably as you can.

The guns are stored safely, you do not have access. I assume he still has house keys and unlimited access, so therefore he still has control over them.

Whilst it may be unpalatable to you, it is within the law and safe. I hope that you get to have a peaceful and swift separation, and if mediation cannot resolve your differences, then I hope the divorce progresses quickly. I wish you can make amends more! :)

Please note your ex has said "not before mediation". This wasn't a "not before divorce". It sounds like he hopes it may still work out and is hoping mediation will work and he can move back in. If you have love in your heart for him, give mediation a good go! If you are closed to reconciliation then you won't have long til mediation completes, then he will no doubt move the guns.

Good luck with your mediation and future endeavors. Keep safe :)

11 hours ago, HantsRob said:

Just because he has moved out due to your split, and I am guessing it's bad enough that you can't share a house with separate rooms, that he has moved out to reduce any pressure or stress. This is the sensible choice, especially if he has a second home he can move into.

Moving into a second property during a divorce doesn't mean he automatically gives up residency or that address as a primary storage location. I think you should be blessed and grateful you are afforded the space and time apart to do it as amicably as you can.

The guns are stored safely, you do not have access. I assume he still has house keys and unlimited access, so therefore he still has control over them.

Whilst it may be unpalatable to you, it is within the law and safe. I hope that you get to have a peaceful and swift separation, and if mediation cannot resolve your differences, then I hope the divorce progresses quickly. I wish you can make amends more!

Please note your ex has said "not before mediation". This wasn't a "not before divorce". It sounds like he hopes it may still work out and is hoping mediation will work and he can move back in. If you have love in your heart for him, give mediation a good go! If you are closed to reconciliation then you won't have long til mediation completes, then he will no doubt move the guns.

Good luck with your mediation and future endeavors. Keep safe

:good:

I would advise the OP to write to the issuing police force's Police and Crime Commissioner and ask that a reply be made within fourteen days and that that reply be made in writing. I have no dog in the fight and do not wish to but if all the other personal possessions have been removed I too am puzzled as to why the shotguns are the exception. Can they not be either lodged with an RFD or once suitable secure storage is in place elsewhere taken to there? There's no logic. Everything else has gone yet the shotguns remain?

34 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I would advise the OP to write to the issuing police force's Police and Crime Commissioner and ask that a reply be made within fourteen days and that that reply be made in writing. I have no dog in the fight and do not wish to but if all the other personal possessions have been removed I too am puzzled as to why the shotguns are the exception. Can they not be either lodged with an RFD or once suitable secure storage is in place elsewhere taken to there? There's no logic. Everything else has gone yet the shotguns remain?

I have the utmost respect for your knowledge, experience and opinions but I'd ask you to think about this reply you've given.  Surely it's not advisable to encourage the OP to stir up interest from the police in this matter?  This could lead to complications for the certificate holder for no reason.

We only have part of the story here. 

38 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

There's no logic. Everything else has gone yet the shotguns remain?

As said above, one possible outcome may be the certificate holder moves back in to the property where the guns are stored.  It's a massive ball ache moving a cabinet so I think he's following a perfectly logical path here - don't go to all the hassle of moving it if you don't need to, and only move it when you definitely know you absolutely have to.  The guns are safe and inaccessible to anyone except the certificate holder, so there's no breach of conditions.

It'll all come out in the wash, as my mum says.

One can see why the relationship has gone sour: you don’t trust your partner’s decision; you don’t trust the police’s decision; you decide to ask complete strangers over the internet on a new forum until you get the answer you are looking for.

1. If the guns are safely stored and out of harm’s way, what is the problem having them there? 

2. He could transfer them to a RFD at considerable cost for storage. He may be conscious of the family’s financial strain as overheads will be increasing.   

3. He could transfer Section 2 guns to a friend but it will be embarrassing for him to have to admit the marital issues. His friends will be proved right and he can’t bear to hear the I-told-you-so comments.

Edited by WalkedUp

its a good job he isnt married to a woman....she would threaten to tell the old bill she was being abused....unless you handed over 68% of all your pensions and the dogs and you can keep the cat but im havin the rolls...........

just ask team tractor....costs him an arm and a leg..................................................and a small bit of his odd finger his knee ....elbow....oh jees im getting board

To be fair, I think being locked is the best choice also.

I don't think we treated the OP with the dignity or respect of a worried person who doesn't know much about guns, and we could have been more constructive and supportive. 

Hopefully if they return they'll leave with helpful information, rather than a further taint to the shooting community. 

On 13/12/2021 at 09:30, HantsRob said:

Whilst it may be unpalatable to you, it is within the law and safe. I hope that you get to have a peaceful and swift separation, and if mediation cannot resolve your differences, then I hope the divorce progresses quickly. I wish you can make amends more!

Good luck with your mediation and future endeavors. Keep safe

Financial mediation I would guess.