F1 Pre - Race Waffle.

TIGHTCHOKE

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Vetty said:

The FIA Didn’t want Mercedes to win this title after all there dominance so they will leave max as champ

They couldn't do anything else, once they'd made the call to let some through to unlap and not others. You can't take away a championship from someone because of your screw up. 

The only thing that can be said is they had a lap to sort it out, so at least some racing decided the outcome. Far better to give them that chance than to trundle round under a safety car, or have it defined by cars who'd no business being at the head of the race.

First raced second. Track position vs better tyres. One lap shakedown. 

9 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

The only thing that can be said is they had a lap to sort it out,

I'd agree to this if they'd both had brand new soft tyres like Verstappen did. Lewis would have won hands down.

Was a complete farce and given the amount of money involved I'd be surprised if it ends here, although it could very well be sorted between the two teams under the table.

49 minutes ago, toxo said:

I'd agree to this if they'd both had brand new soft tyres like Verstappen did. Lewis would have won hands down.

Was a complete farce and given the amount of money involved I'd be surprised if it ends here, although it could very well be sorted between the two teams under the table.

From my limited knowledge I understood why Mercedes kept Lewis out, I thought Max has new tyres but Lewis is at the front and Max has to go past several other racers, then the rules changed.

I'm not surprised they are challenging,  but doubt it will go anywhere. 

No way will the FIA change the result.

Lewis and Mecedes was cheated.

Michael Massi will be made the scapegoat.

Safety car proceedure needs to be changed, simples, how can you bulid up a lead for it to be taken away by another drivers fault..........As an ex racer, I would be very very pi**ed off with that.

27 minutes ago, Mice! said:

From my limited knowledge I understood why Mercedes kept Lewis out, I thought Max has new tyres but Lewis is at the front and Max has to go past several other racers, then the rules changed.

I'm not surprised they are challenging,  but doubt it will go anywhere. 

Under convention, that would have been a bad call to make. That would have meant Mercedes betting on the stewards NOT doing a commonly made intervention, which is to let all lapped drivers unlap themselves and have a standardised order of 1-20 and no slowcoaches blocking the quicks. Mercedes would have anticipated there to be no cars between Lewis and Max. The moment Latifi binned his car, strategy went out the window and it was a case of do whatever they didn't. 

I don't think there was time for all cars to unlap before the start of the last lap and the FIA wanted one clean lap of racing. So they made the call to clear out those between one and two, then for everyone else to sort themselves out in their own little battles.

The spirit of the law surrounding lapped cars and blue flags is to make them as irrelevant as they can. They took the chance to make them irrelevant for the title contenders - but accidentally made them more relevant than they ever have been!

Edited by chrisjpainter

I've been an F1 fan since I first started pushing toy cars around and making VROOOM noises..... but tonight I don't know if I can carry on watching the "sport".  There are so many obvious fixes that it's just laughable.

I'd be surprised if Mr Masi hasn't already cleared his desk and handed his keys in.

Charlie would have knocked heads together mid-way through this season and brought drivers and teams into line so it never ended up so bitter off-track.  He'd also probably have let a few more things slide than the current director has, but then of course you have to do that in a way which is fair to all sides... and therein lies the problem, they have to start making judgement calls whether to penalise or not, and that's where the inconsistencies creep in.  It's either got to be a tight stranglehold, no exceptions made, or a a very loose leash and only step in where there are massive breaches in sporting code.

As Lewis rightly put it the race director and stewards have such a difficult job to do.  They'll never please everyone.

If Abu Dhabi had just been a regular race where Max won through pure pace, talent or the team's excellent strategy calls I'd be genuinely really pleased for him and Red Bull.  But I can't get past this sour taste of over-meddling from race control and the obvious intentions to fix everything.

1 hour ago, discobob said:

I didn't watch the race live as the lad was working yesterday - so watched the highlights when he got home - the best part of the race was Pérez battling with Hamilton to hold him up for MV to catch up

Not exactly racing, more ‘teamwork’ than trying to be the fastest and in first place!!!! 

10 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

I've been an F1 fan since I first started pushing toy cars around and making VROOOM noises..... but tonight I don't know if I can carry on watching the "sport".  There are so many obvious fixes that it's just laughable.

It certainly smells of a fix, one lap to decide it, but one racer has nice new soft tyres?

I actually wanted Lewis to hold him off.

I was a Ham supporter when he first appeared in F!, talented fresh injection to the sport. Wasn't so supportive when he jumped on the political route. I have been less and less impressed with Verstappens style of driving, and admired Hamilton more and more for his race craft. Hamilton was the driver who kept the race going yesterday by taking avoiding action to avert an accident. The race he had with Perez was an example of what should have happened between him and Verstappen. Perez was outstanding, and the Perez could have taken Hamilton out at any moment, but he didn't. Hamilton could have cut Verstappens rear tyre with a front wing nudge, but he didn't. The Mercedes strategists, knew, with a 10 sec lead, and 5 cars between Ham and Ver, there was no chance of Verstappen catching Hamilton in the last few laps, so no need for a tyre change. 

Then it all changed. Masi confused as to how to interpret the rules, the teams being told there would be no overtaking of the lapped cars, then last minute, complete flouting of the rule book to allow Verstappen to be right alongside Hamilton when racing resume. Although it was a spectacle, you can't just over ride the rules on the basis that you want a spectacle!

What I did take from yesterday was Hamiltons sportsmanship and professionalism in accepting the outcome. He was a true role model for sport and behaviour yesterday, and worthy of his Knighthood.

Two points haven't been raised yet. Firstly Perez was able to hold up Hamilton because as soon as Hamilton passed him he was able to come back via DRS. When Hamilton was passed on the last lap DRS wasn't available for two laps after the safety car.

Secondly, How smelly was Latify stuffing it into the wall at that time in a place where there was no crane?