F1 Pre - Race Waffle.

TIGHTCHOKE

28 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Either they have rules or they don't, you can't have it both ways.

Safety car and lapped cars.

13 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

It's a bitter pill to swallow ... but I don't see what the FIA did wrong.

Any of the bellyachers on here care to share what rule was broken to favour Max?

Unfortunately I think figgy and tightchoke are right they should have done one thing or the other let all the lapped cars pass the pace car (I didn't realise they hadn't) or none of them!

Sounds like that is what the rules say! The race director screwed up.

Edited by bluesj

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really dont care either way.......until Max came along ...lets face it F1 was dead boring.............love to see everyone getting out of their pram......they all get paid far too much anyway......

really look forward to next season with Russell in the other merc.........will he do as he is told ???

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

How long till Michael Masi announces he is standing down?

I do wonder how different  this whole season would have been under Charlie Whiting's leadership. Mercedes and Red Bull clashed with Charlie of course, but you always felt they respected him. Masi's been in the game for a chaotic 2 seasons with a global pandemic on and I just don't think the teams know him well enough to respect his decisions, particularly when they have such far reaching consequences.

I will say it's not just Masi's decision, the race officials have a lot of questions to answer too.

1 minute ago, chrisjpainter said:

I do wonder how different  this whole season would have been under Charlie Whiting's leadership. Mercedes and Red Bull clashed with Charlie of course, but you always felt they respected him. Masi's been in the game for a chaotic 2 seasons with a global pandemic on and I just don't think the teams know him well enough to respect his decisions, particularly when they have such far reaching consequences.

I will say it's not just Masi's decision, the race officials have a lot of questions to answer too.

I too wonder what would have happened under CWs control.

I feel he MM will be the fall guy.

The lawyers are in! And not just any lawyers, Mercedes have had a barrister with them this weekend, just in case something like this happened. 

At this stage I wouldn't be surprised to see Rudy Giuliani coming out in front of a landscaping business to deliver his verdict - and for him to blame Hillary Clinton for it all.

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

I don't watch a lot of the racing,  not sure if what I saw should have been allowed but it was certainly an exciting end.

Anyone any idea how long the appeal will take?

I have no idea. But the problem will still come down to what they could actually do - and there's nothing that they can do without unfairly impacting the other driver. Assuming there's nothing to Max overtaking under safety car issues (that would make things simple), then there's no other reasonable outlet for them. 

They can't give the race to Hamilton, because that would be to unfairly penalise Verstappen - and for Verstappen to have no chance to do anything about it. And there was still a lap of racing. Anything can happen in one lap, so you can't just say 'oh Hamilton would have probably won'. Unless he crashed, or had a puncture, or someone behind him ran into him, or he locked up and spun, or...or...or...

They can't run the race again.

They could void the whole race, in which case Verstappen still wins. They've made a rod for their own backs where they can't do anything fairly. They should have let all the cars pass. OR red flagged the race immediately, lined up for a standing start and just let them shake it out on track. As soon as they only let half the cars through, they'd signed their own death sentence.

Just now, Jaymo said:

Yep, more than three quarters race distance. 

And then restart. Unfortunately, by chance Sky sports had asked Masi before the race had even started would they red flag if there was a crash at that corner and he'd already committed to only using double yellows and then a safety car. More mistakes made there. He could have given a safe answer and said 'oh well it depends on the crash and the damage' but nope, he chose to fly the flag and now it looks like a proper spanner's move!