F1 Pre - Race Waffle.

TIGHTCHOKE

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, toxo said:

Two points haven't been raised yet. Firstly Perez was able to hold up Hamilton because as soon as Hamilton passed him he was able to come back via DRS. When Hamilton was passed on the last lap DRS wasn't available for two laps after the safety car.

Secondly, How smelly was Latify stuffing it into the wall at that time in a place where there was no crane?

First point, this I guess?

Use of DRS is restricted by the F1 rules; it is permitted only when both:

• The following car is within one second of the car to be overtaken, which may be a car being lapped. The FIA may alter this parameter, race by race.
  • The following car is in an overtaking zone as defined by the FIA before the race (commonly known as the DRS zone).

Further:

• The system may not be activated on the first two laps after the race start, restart, or a safety car deployment, for example, as was the case of the 2021 Belgian Grand Prix, during which no driver could have activated DRS because the entire race took place behind a safety car, before being terminated due to bad weather.

24 minutes ago, toxo said:

Two points haven't been raised yet. Firstly Perez was able to hold up Hamilton because as soon as Hamilton passed him he was able to come back via DRS. When Hamilton was passed on the last lap DRS wasn't available for two laps after the safety car.

Secondly, How smelly was Latify stuffing it into the wall at that time in a place where there was no crane?

The very place that had been discussed in advance of the race as certainly requiring a safety car, should there be a crash at that location. 

1 hour ago, turbo33 said:

I was a Ham supporter when he first appeared in F!, talented fresh injection to the sport. Wasn't so supportive when he jumped on the political route. I have been less and less impressed with Verstappens style of driving, and admired Hamilton more and more for his race craft. Hamilton was the driver who kept the race going yesterday by taking avoiding action to avert an accident. The race he had with Perez was an example of what should have happened between him and Verstappen. Perez was outstanding, and the Perez could have taken Hamilton out at any moment, but he didn't. Hamilton could have cut Verstappens rear tyre with a front wing nudge, but he didn't. The Mercedes strategists, knew, with a 10 sec lead, and 5 cars between Ham and Ver, there was no chance of Verstappen catching Hamilton in the last few laps, so no need for a tyre change. 

Then it all changed. Masi confused as to how to interpret the rules, the teams being told there would be no overtaking of the lapped cars, then last minute, complete flouting of the rule book to allow Verstappen to be right alongside Hamilton when racing resume. Although it was a spectacle, you can't just over ride the rules on the basis that you want a spectacle!

What I did take from yesterday was Hamiltons sportsmanship and professionalism in accepting the outcome. He was a true role model for sport and behaviour yesterday, and worthy of his Knighthood.

I agree. And so does almost everyone else. The trouble is I can name two people who definitely didn't agree: Hamilton and his race engineer. Immediately after the episode Hamilton was on his radio saying 'That was some dangerous driving there!' And his engineer replied to agree and say they were taking it further. 

The cars in between would have had no bearing on the decisionThe decision to pit would have had to have been made almost as soon as the safety car was deployed and as I said before it would have been done under the assumption that there would be no cars between him and Max, because that is normal safety car convention: lapped cars are out of the way. IF (big if, I know) the race had been 2 laps longer, Mercedes' goose would still have been cooked. Max was always going to do whatever Hamilton didn't and benefit from it, either with brand new tyres or track position and good tyres. The screw up was in letting some cars through and not others, but as I said, at the moment the pit/don't pit decision was made, the lapped cars shouldn't have been a factor.

1 hour ago, toxo said:

Nicholas Latifi is quite rubbish though. It's not a surprise he binned a car, nor is it a surprise he binned it at the very corner people expected there to be an accident.

2 hours ago, turbo33 said:

What I did take from yesterday was Hamiltons sportsmanship and professionalism in accepting the outcome. He was a true role model for sport and behaviour yesterday, and worthy of his Knighthood.

He will have known that the whole media world was watching,  I wouldn't have blamed him for going nuts, I was half expecting him to start smashing things with his helmet. 

But he didn't,  no doubt being told it would be challenged,  but I'd say him not losing it did him a world of good.

59 minutes ago, oowee said:

The very place that had been discussed in advance of the race as certainly requiring a safety car, should there be a crash at that location. 

If it had already been discussed then it just sounds even more fishy.

For those that can access it, The Times have a good article on the crash and where it led to.

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix: Were the rules followed? Whose fault was crucial crash? The big questions answered | Sport | The Times

For those that don't, the key thing on the restarting the race with some cars unlapped and not others is the wording of the rules. It says 'any' unlapped cars, not 'all'. This is the wiggle room that Masi seems to have used:
Does 'any' mean 'any car that is lapped' or 'any car that is lapped and relevant to the situation'. It can just about be spun either way - so much so that not even a barrister could get Mercedes the decision they were after! 

About as flimsy as it's possible to get and gives the race director far too much power. It was fine under Charlie, because he was trusted completely, but Masi's not got that same credibility. And after this weekend, never will.

Plenty of other things in the article, so it's worth a  read, if you can.

It’s certainly put me off watching f1 anymore. 
fixed and that’s not on. 
watched it since a boy when Hunt the Shunt was the big name. Went off for a few years then it seemed to have come good again, until this blatant fixing by the F1 officials. 

Edited by figgy

I can't help wondering if Mercedes may threaten to pull out of of F1. In order to get the result they want.

Like Figgy. I remember the days of the John Player Special, Tyrell, James Hunt. Jackie Stewart, who was so close to making the GB Olympic clay team.

I hope next season there are other teams competing for first and second place.

The sport needs some variety in my humble opinion.

Edited by redial
Error

On 12/12/2021 at 18:51, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, there all trying to make a statement just like footballers and celebrities , New year gongs ??, The nearest I got to watching motor racing was  picnics on Trundle hill about 5 years old 🤔😁, anyone guess what racing circuit ?? 

Hello, looks like December gongs 🤔🙄

Yes indeed, Arise Sir Lewis, Knight of the Next Bandwagon!

Mercedes won't pull out. And I don't think they'll follow through with the appeal. They'll stick it out and make damn sure changes are made to how races could end up being played out in the most exceptional of circumstances so that everyone's playing by the same rules.

42 minutes ago, discobob said:

Well - you didn't need a crystal ball - or @chrisjpainter :D - to see that coming.

I do have to say about MV - he is an absolutely dedicated driver who gives a lot to the sport - My lad has raced with him a few times in eSports - Lando Norris is another one as well - when not doing F1 they are on line in the eSports community

I do have extraordinary powers for prophesying entirely predictable things ;)

I find this all very comical. Having met, watched and enjoyed both of the title fighters over the years I can only quote with total accuracy the one man that actually who meant what he said. 
 Murray Walker, " we're only here to entertain and inform ". 
 And I was entertained and Informed. If you want to go motor racing then go with Hamilton. If you want to go to war then go with Max.

Lewis Hamilton may be punished for not attending awards ceremony, says new FIA president - BBC Sport

Could F1 make itself any more of a sporting embarrassment? 'Rules are rules' apparently. 'If there is any breach, there is no forgiveness in this' according to the new FIA president. 

It's funny what they're choosing to care about eh?

32 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Lewis Hamilton may be punished for not attending awards ceremony, says new FIA president - BBC Sport

Could F1 make itself any more of a sporting embarrassment? 'Rules are rules' apparently. 'If there is any breach, there is no forgiveness in this' according to the new FIA president. 

It's funny what they're choosing to care about eh?

I laughed my nuts off when I read that!  I don't think I've ever heard of a better example of irony than that statement.

What sort of punishment can they mete out on him exactly?  Maybe strip him of a world championship?  Oh wait.....