Browning A5 warranty

Royboy

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Pretty sure you can get a second hand one they made a lot of these guns 

pretty standard stock 

you maybe surprised if you phone browning 

obviously higher grade wood costs more 

try wabbitbosher on here 👍

Cheers, I’ve rang Malmo in Lancaster and I’m they’ve told me it’s definitely not in warranty but they said I can take it in to look at and maybe they can source something. 👍

2 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Cracked stocks can be caused by someone having taken the stock off (usually to see what's inside) and then when putting it back on not ensuring that it's gone on correctly and any relevant nuts, bolts, screws and etc. correctly replaced and to the correct torque. It can also be due to over heavy loads and AFAIK Browning specifically also (regardless of load) say that steel shot should not be used in their guns.

The man was a gunsmith and had been doing it for over 60 years and the stock doesn’t look like it’s been off, but yeah I can imagine over tightening a stock could cause it to crack. 👍

2 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Cracked stocks can be caused by someone having taken the stock off (usually to see what's inside) and then when putting it back on not ensuring that it's gone on correctly and any relevant nuts, bolts, screws and etc. correctly replaced and to the correct torque. It can also be due to over heavy loads and AFAIK Browning specifically also (regardless of load) say that steel shot should not be used in their guns.

https://www.browning.com/support/faq/shoot-steel-shot.html

It's blocked at work but I believe that's got the deets.

2 hours ago, tignme said:

I bought a 2 month old A5 in may. i queried warranty and rfd says only applies to gun from new although he did say any serious problem he would send back to browning under first owners name.

Its going back on shelf.I only use steel cartridges and shoot 24 grams a lot.This gun does not like less than 32 grams although some top brands 28s work.

I have in the region of 6k in 24s so no brainer.

Always room for more carts ;) What are you selling your A5 for?
I'm surprised it doesn't cycle with all 28g's. Needing 32g to cycle properly would preclude it from most clay grounds I'd suspect.

2 minutes ago, Royboy said:

Cheers, I’ve rang Malmo in Lancaster and I’m they’ve told me it’s definitely not in warranty but they said I can take it in to look at and maybe they can source something. 👍

You may be able to export a stock if you don't want to spend on a personalised one. Something like here:
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/browning-auto-5/buttstocks.html

I'd love to know what your gunsmith quotes though, as a reference point! I hope you manage to fix at an affordable price, your gun really looks like something that would take pride in a cab :)

20 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

https://www.browning.com/support/faq/shoot-steel-shot.html

It's blocked at work but I believe that's got the deets.

Always room for more carts What are you selling your A5 for?
I'm surprised it doesn't cycle with all 28g's. Needing 32g to cycle properly would preclude it from most clay grounds I'd suspect.

You may be able to export a stock if you don't want to spend on a personalised one. Something like here:
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/browning-auto-5/buttstocks.html

I'd love to know what your gunsmith quotes though, as a reference point! I hope you manage to fix at an affordable price, your gun really looks like something that would take pride in a cab

That’s a great site thanks a lot 👍

yeah I’m a bit peeved about the crack because it’s not just about the gun, it’s the bloke I bought it off, he was a very knowledgeable person and I’m proud to have one of his guns 👍 

4 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Hello, bit of a sweeping statement about non use of steel! My Browning and many  more Brownings are all proofed for steel shot.The Fleur Di lis mark, on some Brownings, also allows use of superior steel. 

Steel ,therefore can be used in some Brownings.

Regards

2 hours ago, Royboy said:

That’s a great site thanks a lot 👍

yeah I’m a bit peeved about the crack because it’s not just about the gun, it’s the bloke I bought it off, he was a very knowledgeable person and I’m proud to have one of his guns 👍 

It's a strong link to a friend for sure. I hope it gives you years or decades even of happiness! :)

Reason the stock has cracked is in my opinion  that is short grained wood that should never have been used .I can only assume that as it has a large bore hole though it was deemed OK . Wood moves when worked so I guess this stock was over tightened when fitted ,causing undue pressure thus the split along the gain . This could be the other way , in so much the wood has shrunk and come lose so the shooting has had the effect of hitting the head of the stock and causing the short grain to separate and split 

Just one of those things unfortunately that I have seen before on guns of all kinds .

My opinion based on years in the trade , stocking guns as well as being involved with buying and selling stock blanks in quantity 

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

Reason the stock has cracked is in my opinion  that is short grained wood that should never have been used .I can only assume that as it has a large bore hole though it was deemed OK . Wood moves when worked so I guess this stock was over tightened when fitted ,causing undue pressure thus the split along the gain . This could be the other way , in so much the wood has shrunk and come lose so the shooting has had the effect of hitting the head of the stock and causing the short grain to separate and split 

Just one of those things unfortunately that I have seen before on guns of all kinds .

My opinion based on years in the trade , stocking guns as well as being involved with buying and selling stock blanks in quantity 

When I priced a new stock up in  my local gunshop another customer come up to me and said “ that’s been sat in a warm cabinet to long” ?

a couple of people  have said this to me now ?

I’ve ordered a new stock at £450 but I’m worried that it’s going to do it again !

5 minutes ago, Royboy said:

When I priced a new stock up in  my local gunshop another customer come up to me and said “ that’s been sat in a warm cabinet to long” ?

a couple of people  have said this to me now ?

I’ve ordered a new stock at £450 but I’m worried that it’s going to do it again !

Why worry 

there’s thousands out there that are ok 

get a stock and enjoy the gun