Jump to content

Getting stuck in


WalkedUp
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

I used to come home looking like that. My mother used to make me strip off at the door and clear a path upstairs so I could get in the shower without touching any walls or doors. Your boys are very lucky, great to see.

Just like Thora Hird as Mrs Pegden in Last of the Summer Wine.

 

Very good to see your boys out enjoying themselves.

Wesley_and_Edie6537.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

I used to come home looking like that. My mother used to make me strip off at the door and clear a path upstairs so I could get in the shower without touching any walls or doors. Your boys are very lucky, great to see.

Upstairs to the shower ! You were lucky ………we had to climb into kitchen sink and wash with old dish water .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, holloway said:

Upstairs to the shower ! You were lucky ………we had to climb into kitchen sink and wash with old dish water .

The only shower we knew about was in the weather forecast , our tin bath night was Sunday in front of the coal fire listening to the radio as we didn't have a tele till my ole chap came out of the R N  , Monday morning we were as clean as most of the other kids who went to the village school , by Friday our hands and face were clean and that was about it until Sunday when the ole tin bath was brought out for the weekly wash , can't say it done us a lot of harm as four of my brothers and sisters are still above ground with the youngest being just over 70 :good:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the lovely replies and interesting posts. 

10 hours ago, Scully said:

Great stuff! My dear old Mum got into the habit of always ensuring she had a spare set of clothes for me as a young lad, whenever we had a day out. 🙂

I aways take spare clothes if I am out in the field and likewise for the boys. I only used to do it if rain was forecast but once saw my friend make an unforced error and fall face down into the only puddle for miles on a hot sunny day. Much hilarity ensued and a lesson learnt to a ignore the forecast!

22 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

I used to come home looking like that. My mother used to make me strip off at the door and clear a path upstairs so I could get in the shower without touching any walls or doors. Your boys are very lucky, great to see.

You are lucky, we are forced to strip off and change before the car home. The poor farmers are exposed to my white bits frequently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/12/2021 at 20:21, marsh man said:

The only shower we knew about was in the weather forecast , our tin bath night was Sunday in front of the coal fire listening to the radio as we didn't have a tele till my ole chap came out of the R N  , Monday morning we were as clean as most of the other kids who went to the village school , by Friday our hands and face were clean and that was about it until Sunday when the ole tin bath was brought out for the weekly wash , can't say it done us a lot of harm as four of my brothers and sisters are still above ground with the youngest being just over 70 :good:

My, the years fly bye don't they.  Remember that old tin bath hanging on the wall outside the kitchen door and then the GLORY when a plumber arrived and put in a huge bath upstairs you could almost swim in....luxury.  Mind it didn;t have a nice glowing coal fire alongside it as did the galavanised tin bath.   Once a week seemed to keep us tidy and now a shower twice a day is often the norm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

My, the years fly bye don't they.  Remember that old tin bath hanging on the wall outside the kitchen door and then the GLORY when a plumber arrived and put in a huge bath upstairs you could almost swim in....luxury.  Mind it didn;t have a nice glowing coal fire alongside it as did the galavanised tin bath.   Once a week seemed to keep us tidy and now a shower twice a day is often the norm.

My five brothers and sisters were all born in the same house that was in the 53 floods , we never did have a bath installed and it wasn't until we moved into a council house that we had the luxury of a bath , the ole tin bath came in handy a bit later on in life as I used to do a lot of building work after tea and at weekends , I could put the tin bath in the back of my motor and use it for mixing up cement in someone's house , it was ideal , you could put a dozen good shovels full of sand , three shovel full of cement , turn it over dry a few times and then add the water , no mess or spillages and when you were done for the night you could leave the waste in the bath and tap it the following night .

In the old house we had a coal fire boiler at the back of the kitchen that was lit now and again to put your washing in , then when the funds allowed my mother thought she was in heaven when she got a Burco boiler that you plugged it in , then once the clothes were clean you then had to ring the water out with the ole mangle that you wound round with the big handle , this was replaced in time with a modern Acme wringer , this was a lot easier and as a bonus , when you got as much tooth paste out of a tube with your fingers you could put the flat tube in the wringer and get enough out for a couple more brushings , tell yer , looking back we didn't do to badly and later on in life it certainly made you appreciate the good things that came your way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My comment is SNAP. sounds very similar. I remember my mother rolling four fingers in the mangle and the screams as they turned it back, she had a black hand for many weeks and could not use that hand but still delivered 24 gallons of milk a day by hand, in a bucket with pint, half pint ladles humping that 5 gal bucket up side entries, then coming home and into the housework.  Honestly the youngsters today have no idea how lucky they are.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...