Airless sprayer for painting

elgreco

“Get a spray gun and spray it” they said. So I buy the spray system faff about masking skirtings, fireplace, windows, doors. Get my face mask on and coveralls. Finally ready for the main event. JESUS! What a disappointment, I really didn’t expect it to make such a mess, nice finish but would have been a dam sight quicker and less messy with a roller! Am I doing it wrong? 

I’ve looked at the Wagner pro off Amazon - my cousin has moved to the states and he has got into property renovation and apparently spraying is all the rage out there.

He went on to send me info about a sprayed paint flocking system that puts on a thick speckled finish and which commercial landlords love as it hides everything (cracks, bumps and dents) and requires zero prep as you paint on / over anything you like.

The key apparently is the room masking and prep and it only really works if you’re dealing with empty units.

I’d love to see a proper set up in action and not just a £50 B&Q bought Bosch job.

My advice would be get to a pro decorator's outlet and gear yourself up with a good quality high capacity roller setup so you get more coverage per load of roller, which is really the time consuming bit of rolling.  Unless you're doing a mansion house you don't win on time spraying and certainly not on paint consumption!

You live and learn, sometimes you have to try these things to know!

Had 2 of those £200/300 guns from screwfix to do the workshops at work (I say 2 as the first died within a week due to a colleague not thinning the emulsion enough, and burnt the pump out as far as I can recall). 

As you said and imo a waste of time, I could have done it quicker by roller.

Only things I thought that it was handy for was on rough surfaces, and it got used to seal asbestos roof sheets without disturbing it, not that I did. 

Had the decorators in on a big project I’m working on over the last few weeks and they used a sprayer to white wash and finish coat several rooms…..all were empty and fresh plaster etc so no worry about overspray. Seemed to get a lot done in an allotted time once everything masked up, but can only see it being of limited use overall and mostly the initial white wash stage (not in occupied houses etc).