"Smart" electronics....?

Eyefor

September 2015, new (Russell Hobbs) steam Iron purchased. Early October 2017 burns out - within a month of the 2 year guarantee expiring.

October 2017, New (Russell Hobbs) steam Iron purchased. Early November 2019 burns out - within a month of the 2 year guarantee expiring.

November 2019 New (Russell Hobbs) steam Iron purchased. December 2021 burns out - within a month of the 2 year guarantee expiring.

Last two washing machines (Bosch) both died within a month of their 5 year guarantee expiring

All coincidence, or pre-programmed?

10 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

September 2015, new (Russell Hobbs) steam Iron purchased. Early October 2017 burns out - within a month of the 2 year guarantee expiring.

October 2017, New (Russell Hobbs) steam Iron purchased. Early November 2019 burns out - within a month of the 2 year guarantee expiring.

November 2019 New (Russell Hobbs) steam Iron purchased. December 2021 burns out - within a month of the 2 year guarantee expiring.

Last two washing machines (Bosch) both died within a month of their 5 year guarantee expiring

There used to be 'quality' brands that did last.  Whether their modern equivalents last as well, I don't know.  I have lots of 'older' things in use, but some examples I have;

• Premier electric hotplate, bought mid 1950s and still in use
  • Quad ESL 57 loudspeakers, composed pair, bought 1957 and 1961 (by my father) and still in daily use (overhauled by makers twice)
  • Miele washing machine and separate tumbler drier - bought 1999 and both still in full use, no repairs
  • Dualit kettle, approx 25 years old, daily use
  • Dualit toaster, approx 25 years old, daily use, elements replaced once
  • Miele vacuum cleaner, approx 20 years old, regular use
  • Morphy Richards iron, bought circa 1990, still in use
  • Bosch (Scintilla) drill, bought circa 1980, still in use
  • and of course my LandRover, bought (2nd hand) - 1996

On the other hand, I have been through 3 dishwashers Indesit, Zanussi and Bosch all beyond economic repair not long out of warranty - and now on fourth (Grundig) in 10 years.

Built in obsolescence, we have recently had our trouble free 40 year old conventional boiler changed for a Worcester Bosch conventional boiler, talking to the plumber who fitted it I ask him how long these new boilers last, he said it will not last anywhere near your old one, he said you will be lucky if lasts15 years, you are perhaps looking around 10-12 years before it will need replacing, strange that as we took out the optional 12 year warranty.

Lots of Bosch kit, including washing machines, is made in China and despite their TV ad campaign the Bosch brand is no longer a guarantee of quality. My old Bosch mower is still going strong at 20 years but it's much more robust than than the equivalent new ones.

As for the repeated burn outs of the Russell Hobbs irons the chances are they're made in China too, like almost every other household appliance. We have a Morphy Richards iron which is well past it's warranty period and still going, but the thing about the Chinese kit is it's basically a lottery. Some stuff like laptops, TVs and phones are generally top quality, but household and garden products not so much.

I continually have a go at fixing stuff - but some things aren't even possible to be fixed. The trouble is I have a wife that would use a sledge hammer to crack a nut - and if something doesn't go (or similar) it will bloody go!!

So far this year - Washing machine - twice (when will she learn to check the pockets) and it keeps on throwing up a fault now which means another go at the pump

Condensing Heat Pump Tumble dryer - once - Start Capacitor gone and had to take it completely apart to get to it.

Dishwasher - Once - found something stuck in the drain pump area.

Just fixed hear rear wiper/high level brake light - first time by soldering the broken wires to get it through MOT (to find out it wouldn't have failed for that anyway!!) and then to actually put the new replacement loom in when we got the part. The joys of her having a 17 year old car :)

Phillips Irons I find are very good and can stand up the rigors of my Wife's heavy handedness.

A Breville one cup is brilliant as it stops the wife boiling a dry kettle - repeatedly - or boiling it repeatedly as she is far to busy to wait for a kettle to boil and goes off to do something else. I once counted her boiling the kettle 5 times to make a cup of tea for herself.

Most things are repairable - the question is the cost of time and effort - and parts - YouTube is brilliant for it along with UKWhiteGoods 

6 minutes ago, discobob said:

I continually have a go at fixing stuff - but some things aren't even possible to be fixed. The trouble is I have a wife that would use a sledge hammer to crack a nut - and if something doesn't go (or similar) it will bloody go!!

So far this year - Washing machine - twice (when will she learn to check the pockets) and it keeps on throwing up a fault now which means another go at the pump

Condensing Heat Pump Tumble dryer - once - Start Capacitor gone and had to take it completely apart to get to it.

Dishwasher - Once - found something stuck in the drain pump area.

Just fixed hear rear wiper/high level brake light - first time by soldering the broken wires to get it through MOT (to find out it wouldn't have failed for that anyway!!) and then to actually put the new replacement loom in when we got the part. The joys of her having a 17 year old car

Phillips Irons I find are very good and can stand up the rigors of my Wife's heavy handedness.

A Breville one cup is brilliant as it stops the wife boiling a dry kettle - repeatedly - or boiling it repeatedly as she is far to busy to wait for a kettle to boil and goes off to do something else. I once counted her boiling the kettle 5 times to make a cup of tea for herself.

Most things are repairable - the question is the cost of time and effort - and parts - YouTube is brilliant for it along with UKWhiteGoods 

Bob, it would have been cheaper to get a new wife!   :cool1:

42 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Bob, it would have been cheaper to get a new wife!   

🤣

She is the best wife I have ever had - and she puts up with me - JUST!!!

I wouldn't swap her for anything - I will gladly give her away for free!! 😉

Trouble is our teenagers seem to take after her in that way of things so I have a full time job fixing stuff - keeps the grey matter from congealing though

25 minutes ago, discobob said:

🤣

She is the best wife I have ever had - and she puts up with me - JUST!!!

I wouldn't swap her for anything - I will gladly give her away for free!! 😉

Trouble is our teenagers seem to take after her in that way of things so I have a full time job fixing stuff - keeps the grey matter from congealing though

Old before your time Mate!  :cool1:

7 hours ago, Eyefor said:

Simples mate, it's called "wear dating" keeps the maker in never ending income?