Another Honda CR 500 AF

Gordon R

After finishing the last one, Covid put a bit of a damper on what to do next. Still got the original one in the garage.

As I bought the granddaughters a quad bike, space is getting tight. I have no room to do a kit car at present. My youngest has been on about another bike - drip, drip drip. He sent me adverts for a few rolling chassis bikes. Here's a bargain, £2000 Husqvarna in Norfolk, here's another. Faced with an onslaught of whinging, I caved in. Bought a Honda rolling chassis on Sunday, in Nottingham.

This is a 250 two stroke frame, so doesn't need the Y piece chopping out. Just needs 1 or 2 engine mountings moving a bit. I already had a spare CR500 engine in the garage, so it should be more straightforward. I am definitely not painting the frame or powder coating - will be buffing the alloy up instead. I was very clear that until we sell the original CR 500 AF, I was not doing anything on the new build. 

My iron resolve lasted a day. Ordered rear brake reservoir, some stainless steel bolts, bearings, clutch casing and a few seals. Extracted a seized screw on the front brake master cylinder - took me a couple of hours. Tried stud extractor, welding a nut onto the stub, but ended up drilling it out and re-tapping.

It might be some time before I have achieved anything worthy of a photo.

This is the starting point. It has a new seat cover, side panels and rad scoops. Youngest says they will have to go. Bombarded me with new plastics, graphics, striped seat cover and more, which are on his wish list.

s-l1600.jpg

12 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Castrol R - probably the most evocative smell I have ever encountered.

Ooohh yes . 

Had a mate used to race sidecar outfit and used to follow him a fair bit . My big regret was I never got to go abroad  with him . 

He used 500cc honda engines in his outfit, for the life of me I can't remember  the name of the modified ones he used . If I remember  correctly  at the time he was racing, a rider called "Ethridge" was champion, and had a stonking fast outfit and my  mate managed to scrape enough money together to buy a couple of his old engines 

I remember being told about one of the 80s models of CR500, think it was either the 84 or 86 model being dubbed the widowmaker and the team factory riders were having the bikes de-tuned slightly to make them more rideable.

I love the sound of the 500 two stroke, it just sounds menacing

• 2 weeks later...