Learning to love hunting in the rain (NZ)

Houseplant

Dry conditions left me frustrated on my last goat hunt. Every footstep through dried leaves was painfully noisy. I spooked two animals and came away with nothing. Usual caveat, I know goats can be easy to hunt, but these animals are heavily culled on surrounding private land and are easily spooked, plus in local area, the entire forest floor is covered in detritus and the bush is dense, so moving quietly is challenging.

I decided to try again during a few days of heavy rain. I also slowed right down and was careful with my footsteps.

Although the bush provided reasonable cover from the rain, everything was wet and I made an early decision to wear a waterproof layer. Normally, I hate hunting in waterproofs, but the jacket kept me warm. Since I planned to move slowly and wait it out in likely spots, I think this was the right decision.

1-Bush.jpg

It wasn't long before I found some fresh tracks and came across a small mob of goats which were spread out.

2-Footprint.jpg

I only moved when there was a gust of wind or downpour of rain and got remarkably close. This was necessary to get a clear shot in the dense bush. At one point, I could have reached out and grabbed an animal. They had no idea I was there. Real ninja stuff (in my mind anyway!). I had animals all around me and selected the youngest for a headshot with a subsonic round at 2 metres. Trigger pulled and down it went.

3-Goat.jpg

The other animals disappeared as quietly as I had approached them. I would have taken another if I had the chance, but no drama as mission accomplished.

As usual, full respect given to the animal. It was skinned and gutted and carried out whole in my pikau-style bag. I'm always amazed at how much you can carry in these bags.

4-Meat.jpg

5-Pikau.jpg

A short and successful goat hunt in the rain.

That takes me back 30yrs to 1991 when I had a few days on the North Island in those similar circumstances.  I confirm it is as thick as the picture indicates and if you don't know the area etc then you can get lost very quickly although I would assume modern tracking on smart phones could get you out.

Cabrito for supper,  yummmy.

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

That takes me back 30yrs to 1991 when I had a few days on the North Island in those similar circumstances.  I confirm it is as thick as the picture indicates and if you don't know the area etc then you can get lost very quickly although I would assume modern tracking on smart phones could get you out.

I am somewhat reliant on electronics, but my natural navigation is improving. I could get out of this block by using topography and a compass in an emergency, but I'd probably end up coming out the bush a few miles down the road from the car. 

7-FatMap.jpg

16 hours ago, Lsto said:

I always love reading your posts, it's always nice to see something from another part of the world and your pictures always look amazing. Keep up the good work.

3 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Love it,  tell us about your hunting rig. Looks like a 30/30 or 300blk in a 12in barrel break action. That bush looks like Florida or the South Carolina tidal lands over here.  

Thanks chaps. Rifle is a single shot/break action 300BLK with a 16.5 inch/1:8 twist barrel (Bergara BA13). It's my dedicated bush/subsonic setup. Highly recommended! 

On 19/12/2021 at 02:24, Houseplant said:

Thanks chaps. Rifle is a single shot/break action 300BLK with a 16.5 inch/1:8 twist barrel (Bergara BA13). It's my dedicated bush/subsonic setup. Highly recommended! 

Is it integrally suppressed?  Because it looks very short.  We used to get the HR handy rifles but they quit making them.  They where single shot break actions. 

Edited by NoBodyImportant

1 hour ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Is it integrally suppressed?  Because it looks very short.  We used to get the HR handy rifles but they quit making them.  They where single shot break actions. 

It's a removable over-barrel suppressor. The product is semi-custom made by DPT here in NZ. Makes for a nice little package.