Licence Renewal

Marka11

Right fills out my SGC and Firearm coterminous paper work send it off and they have received them, then today I get a letter reminding me about my renewals but also enclosed was another piece of paper saying I now had too send a medical information form in too my GP for them to fill out and send that. When I had my original renewal reminder there was nothing about that at all  so i re looked at the County firearms dept website I’m under and nothing on there at all about this form it still the same as before, so then had to find this form that’s now required and all I can find is a couple of forces with it so I have gone for a generic Met police one anyone else had same issue filling it all out then getting a letter like mine. Also when I look at my licences I actually lost a couple of months at last renewal has this ever happened to anyone or should it have been given too the original exp date.

25 minutes ago, Marka11 said:

then had to find this form that’s now required and all I can find is a couple of forces with it so I have gone for a generic Met police one

I think you will find that there are more than "a couple of forces" now insisting on a Doctors letter to support new applications and re-newals. After the last murders in the west country by a lunatic with a licenced shotgun, the vast majority of forces, with the approval of the Home Office, are insisting on this.

In Kent, the policy is, no supporting GPs letter, no licence !

4 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

The Met one I’m using is basically the same page1 very similar rest of the form identical

4 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

I think you will find that there are more than "a couple of forces" now insisting on a Doctors letter to support new applications and re-newals. After the last murders in the west country by a lunatic with a licenced shotgun, the vast majority of forces, with the approval of the Home Office, are insisting on this.

In Kent, the policy is, no supporting GPs letter, no licence !

Sorry didn’t put it correctly should have said only a couple of forces seem to have a form that can be down loaded I know mine doesn’t that I can see that’s why I went for a generic one from the Met

6 minutes ago, Touchstone said:

I always wonder whether a GP is qualified to offer an opinion as to one’s suitability to hold a firearm certificate. Surely the opinion should come from a psychiatrist?

Ultimately, I see it as a box ticking exercise.

Kind regards,

Tim

They are not being asked to offer an opinion on your suitability, they are being asked to check your medical records for certian conditions, nothing else.

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I have sent mine in this week and was told by automatic reply it would only be up to 4 weeks.

We shall see what happens as my renewal is next march but Cambs Police Firearms Licencing have asked me to start now.

My coterminous renewal is not due till Aug 2022 but I see its possible to ask your doctor for the completed medical form so you can send it by post or for him/her to send it by email, a question I have is, do most doctor know who your local firearms licencing department is? Or do I need to supply this info?

How did you complete yours?

5 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

far as i can make out is they send the form with the renewal letter, get it filled out and send it with the renewal forms,

They sent my reminder I sent it off then they sent another letter saying they need form now as well, still not even on their website this form needs filling in

13 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

I get the reason behind them now doing the forms, as clearly people who are not suitable have acquired licences, Plymouth being a pretty clear indication of this.

Nope.  Plymouth was a pretty clear example of yet another police failing - they withdrew his guns then gave them back. Nothing about any of this new process would have changed their failings.

1 hour ago, HantsRob said:

I’m not sure I agree. 

if he was fully revetted, including medical, it may have raised some flag. But this isn’t the right thread to discuss that. 

That's the basically what I meant. Now we have to submit forms. But of never diagnosed as a medical issue then still going to slip the net. Can be a nutjob and not go to Dr About it. And then the report is worth bugg3r all.

10 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Sent mine in third week in October and have not heard a thing to date.  Just sent e mail enquiring if they have recieved it. No reply so far.  Straight forward renewal as I have done for the lat 30years with Leicshire.   Due in January.

you say a straight forward renewal as you have done for the last 30years, did your renewal include the new doctors report?

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

you say a straight forward renewal as you have done for the last 30years, did your renewal include the new doctors report?

Never ever had a problem from that direction but would have assumed by now they would have contacted me if anyhting was amiss. Leicestershire have always been top hole but of course they don't have John Toone in charge these days.