Avian Flu

nic

Reading of the numbers of Barnacles dead on the Solway (about 4000) presumably due to the Avian Flu, and the other species, I wonder if it will worsen and effect the back end of the season.  

As I keep Chickens i get the notifications through of the new cases and my phone seems to be going off quite a few times a day.

WWT near to me at Slimbridge have apparently put most of their own birds under cover and have had a case near to them in Newent.

3 hours ago, Scruffydog said:

4,000!  Are they sure its Avian Flu?

I'm not religious but, what with this, COVID, floods, wildfires etc, the phrase "...end of days..." comes to mind.

Merde!

Such significant numbers being quoted , remembering of course HOW flu is transmitted. Close contact between birds being the official explanation. These are wild birds not battery caged chooks . Geese feeding/pecking about thru other geese on fields seems possible or indeed ingesting minute trace amounts of infection via each others faeces but its still rather odd overall .I do recall cases back in the day (1970's) of wild geese dying in their thousands nationwide due to seed dressings "dieldrin"   and carcasses in some cases being buried pronto to hide the fact. They underplayed exactly how many had died as it was a very sensitive topic at the time. One could be forgiven for asking if this is perhaps an issue related to habitat or feeding ? Probably is what they are saying of course but given the huge leap in goose numbers i do wonder how long before some eejit decides to do a myxomatosis  on other species deemed to be heading out of control

Edited by bishop