Turkey tendons

snow white

Do any body here my age remember how to pull the tendons out of the turkey legs we used to use a piece of flat steel about 4 inch wide with an vee cut in it bolted to a strong fence post the knuckle of the leg was put across the vee then the leg was pulled down leaving the claw with 5 tendons the you could pull to make the feet open and close I used to chase the kids round the garden opening and closing them bit of fun at the time 

20 minutes ago, snow white said:

Do any body here my age remember how to pull the tendons out of the turkey legs we used to use a piece of flat steel about 4 inch wide with an vee cut in it bolted to a strong fence post the knuckle of the leg was put across the vee then the leg was pulled down leaving the claw with 5 tendons the you could pull to make the feet open and close I used to chase the kids round the garden opening and closing them bit of fun at the time 

I still do it with chickens that I kill or pheasants. Using the back of a knife blade or pliers.

Done 100s in the past, the hardest one we had tried to do was a 30lb plus, there were 2 of us hanging on the legs. 

If your pulling the legs of a decent size turkey (15lb +) all the best using a piece of cord and pulling it up while standing on the cord. We need some video of this method please preferably in slow mo as you knock yourself out . 

Your better off having 2 6inch nails, (or if you know anyone get some decent steel and have someone put a split in it into a Y shape, bend it up into a hook and fix that securely onto a wall), hammered into a wall or similar about head height, brake the turkey legs on pull. 

They dont tend to do this now, its a pity as it ruins the legs leaving the tendons in. 

4 hours ago, dipper said:

Loop of strong cord under your foot .break turkeys leg under joint  twist  put cord round turkey leg And pull .or you can put cord high up and use your weight.

2 hours ago, dipper said:

When I was butchering long time ago .most shops I was at had a flat bar with V cut in it mainly for chickens .But a big Turkey could need 2 people.

Do you kill it first? 🤔😁

Father used to put the legs is the hinge side of a gate.  From what I remember the tendons pulled an amount of muscle out.

30 pounder !!!  There was Turkey,  Turkey, Turkey sandwiches,  Cold Turkey, Turkey curry and the bin.  this some of the reason that we don't have Turkey and we have about 3 smaller joints. Gamon, beef and lamb. This way people can have some of what they like or something of everything. 

A couple of years ago we kept sbout 6 free range Turkeys for Christmas - they were b*stards, escaping,  perching on neighbours patio! Anyway after the free ranging they had good leg muscles and the tendons........ 2 of us hanging on the door frame and it still wouldn't detach so I just cut them with snips 🙂

Was asking to see if there was a different way of doing as I am getting older I had trouble pulling them last year (and before I get any comments I am on about the turkey legs ) really hard job but I did it.this year I have got to do three of the ruddy things got nice piece of 4inch wide steel with vee cut in it so hoping all goes well on Thursday 

5 hours ago, old man said:

50 years ago working at turkey farm for a few quid as we used to, one year the last to go was the old stag  a bronze, 2 of us failed to have the strength to do his tendons despite having the hook on a beam. Seems much bigger birds needed then than now?

I nearly gave myself another pair trying to do the same, gave up in the end.