joined the .410 club today

quentyn

21 hours ago, London Best said:

But I’d does stop the trigger from being pulled accidentally, such as by catching in something.

Neville sums it up nicely when he says a safety catch is a secondary layer of safety.

I don’t wish to become embroiled in an auto/manual safety catch debate again. There is nothing wrong with a manual catch.......except that some (most) people won’t use them. The most common dangerous act I see in the shooting field is owners of manual safety guns who stand on a drive with the safety off and the gun broken, and then proceed to raise barrels to stock as they mount the gun, straight towards the beating line. As Nev said, he has seen a few guns discharge upon closing. Guns should be closed and pointing skywards when expecting a shot, which is at least safe even if you insist on not using the safety catch.

Not using a safety catch is stupid.

Relying on one is more stupid.

Muzzle awareness at all times.

21 hours ago, London Best said:

But I’d does stop the trigger from being pulled accidentally, such as by catching in something.

Neville sums it up nicely when he says a safety catch is a secondary layer of safety.

I don’t wish to become embroiled in an auto/manual safety catch debate again. There is nothing wrong with a manual catch.......except that some (most) people won’t use them. The most common dangerous act I see in the shooting field is owners of manual safety guns who stand on a drive with the safety off and the gun broken, and then proceed to raise barrels to stock as they mount the gun, straight towards the beating line. As Nev said, he has seen a few guns discharge upon closing. Guns should be closed and pointing skywards when expecting a shot, which is at least safe even if you insist on not using the safety catch.

Not using a safety catch is stupid.

Relying on one is more stupid.

Muzzle awareness at all times.

I haven’t considered anyone stupid in this thread as yet, regardless of what they consider to be safe, but there’s still time. 
There is nothing logical and nothing to be gained, in having the safety on a gun ‘on’, which is closed and muzzles pointing at the sky, with finger off the trigger; just what some are expecting to happen, I have no idea. By all means do it if you want, but it serves no purpose whatsoever. 
You must have some special powers if you can actually tell whether a guns gun is actually a manual or auto safety, and whether it is off or on, but if the gun is broken anyway, it’s totally irrelevant, whether you’re in the field or in a stand.
As for raising the stock to barrels, it is something not possible in a butt, unless the front parapet is very low or there is room to stand at the back of the butt, in which case you then have a closed gun inside the butt. Either way you are often holding a gun pointing at the same level as that of beaters. 
From the point of view of a beater as well as a shooter, raising stock to barrels is something I seldom see in the driven line, and not something which bothers me or anyone else I know. It is quite easy to close any gun in any way without pointing it at beaters, if you so choose, regardless of whether they’re in range, or can even be seen, and it’s not something I’ve ever known a gun give two hoots about when on a hot peg, and I don’t know ANYONE who after firing that first barrel, slips the safety back on awaiting the chance to use the second. 

All this holier than thou malarkey, is a bit sad really, and it isn’t up to me or anyone else to scuff anyone over the head, because I hear all too often ‘it’s awlreet, the safeties on’  from the generation previous to mine. 
Use it if you like , but it won’t stop you killing anyone, whereas muzzle awareness beyond everything, will. If you can’t ensure your muzzles are pointing in a safe direction, then break your gun. It’s that simple and far from stupid. 

On 20/12/2021 at 08:20, enfieldspares said:

If you are going to get a spare stock then DO IT NOW! Then put in in your cabinet and forget about it. Why? As these things are easier gotten when the gun is new than gotten five or ten years later when it is out of production. Also IMHO and again NOW have that stock fitted to the gun at the shop and put a box of cartridges through it just to test its itegrity. Then as said take it off and forget about it.

i called sportsman guncenter as they are the kofs importers and got one for £63 ! ordered it Tuesday it arrived yesterday 

thanks for the advice