Hampshire Constabulary Suspending Firearms Grant Application Service

Steveveets

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently waiting on an application made for a grant from Hampshire Constabulary. I emailed today for an update and whilst I got a response, nothing was mentioned about delayed grants.

If Hants are pausing grants it wouldn't be the first force to do so, https://basc.org.uk/north-yorkshire-police-in-breach-of-statutory-duty-says-basc/

Edited by Pops_Hants

On 20/12/2021 at 16:52, Walker570 said:

They would have to issue temp certs if renewals. Not so with grants.

Have just commented on another thread on subject that it only takes a member of the team to test positve and the whole department could collapse. Probably what has happened.

Most of them are working from home at the moment but the current guidance is that if a colleague tests positive you can carry on working. Just have to test regularly

Just posted this on another thread as well, but anyone who has already submitted their grant will be having it returned to them. I just received this email,

Dear applicant

I am sorry to inform you that your grant application has been returned and refunded as we have currently suspended the grant application process. I know that you will be disappointed with this decision, however the Chief Constable has taken this approach in order to support our NHS colleagues, who are participating in the Omicron Emergency Boost programme.

In addition, it is also important that as a public and emergency service we take proportionate and sensible decisions around employee distancing to maintain our resilience levels, not only within our own department, but in other areas of the force. The levels of Omicron transmission are increasing at a significant rate and in order to minimise the risk of cross contamination the Firearms Licensing staff will be minimising any home and/or site visits until further notice. This means that our priority will remain focused on public safety and processing renewal applications to ensure that certificate holders do not fall into unlawful possession.

If you have already obtained your medical information with a view to submitting a grant application, please be reassured that we will accept this when the grant portal reopens - provided the document was completed no more than 8 months prior to application and there has been no change in your medical conditions.

29 minutes ago, clangerman said:

everyone else struggles on to provide a service bar SLACKERS! 

As HantsPol are one of the leaders in SGC licencing and leading the reviews and changes I don't think that's necessary to be rude, or to assume slacking off. 

I appreciate to many it may feel like it'd be easier to suspend than cancel, but who's to say some of the team don't have COVID or are extremely poorly right now? Sometimes resilience needs to be maintaining the existing service, rather than taking on new applicants.

#BeKind

Edited by HantsRob

On 22/12/2021 at 12:36, sam triple said:

I’ve heard it’s due to covid rules and they are not doing home visits to check security at the moment 

I think most forces are like this, I moved house just before lockdown 1, and only just been able to move my cabinets with me ( I moved out of the olds house). Phoned the feo and they said move them but we are not doing home visits. So they have to take our word for things being done in the way they want etc.

My daughter works in the TVP call handling office, they take a PCR test every morning and must provide a negative reading before being allowed to start work, anybody testing positive gets a 10 day isolation. Simple enough policy for all departments to follow surely? As for not doing home visits, excuse the pun but what a Cop out, you can get a Plumber, Electrician etc so why not an FEO? Wonder if getting paid to sit at home has any bearing on the situation. No doubt BASC will be all over this current situation, or so I read yesterday in a Cracker.

Edited by bruno22rf

• 4 weeks later...