Hampshire Constabulary Suspending Firearms Grant Application Service

Steveveets

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

You have just agreed that they are not putting adequate resources into the subject. There should be sufficient staff to do both.  

This may be the case but the law is far too complex and onerous to administer effectively. 

We need an independant national licencing service taken away from the police but as thats common sense it wont happen..

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, grahamch said:

This may be the case but the law is far too complex and onerous to administer effectively. 

We need an independant national licencing service taken away from the police but as thats common sense it wont happen.

Yes we do, but as you say it will NEVER happen!   :cool1:

I emailed Lincolnshire Firearms Dept. today asking about possible delays (mine is due for renewal in six months time).

They told me to submit an application in two months time and indicated that any delay after the due date would almost certainly be due to the GP practice being tardy with their response.

Please remember it’s not the fault of the flo he gets his instructions from above and doesn’t nessecary have a say in it

renewal are as a rule a fairly simple procedure as long as there’s not been any health problems or other issues 

new grant’s are a different thing although and to interview someone who is behind a mask while wearing one would in my opinion not be best practice 

im sure a licensing officer will be able to tell much more about the applicant when he can see full facial expression and reaction to the questions 

its a difficult job for the flo if he gets it wrong for whatever reason the media will have a field day and then they will have the opportunity put even more restrictions upon us 

far better to concentrate on renewals until they can do new grants efficiently and effectively 

I appreciate its not good for new applications they have my sympathy 

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Rob you'll need to type in English not ACRONYMS!

Aye.

the licencing team is a team of civilians who manage the process. Their remit is only within the licencing of firearms. Alcohol/premise licences are run by policeman officers, but have civilian helpers also.

Tickets specifically generated from ‘non-recordable crime pertaining to roads policing’ (and this specifically being from a stop from anyone from a Bobby through to a traffic officer, or via a road safety partnership van (speed camera van) are typically processed by the CTO team (central ticket office) which are part of the CJU (crime/criminal justice unit).  They specifically look after ticket such as speeding, mobile phone use whilst driving etc, and will offer you options. This is in the form of a NIP (notice of intention of prosecution), which will offer you a day in court. The letter may also offer alternatives such as a driver awareness course, or the offer of accepting points and a fine to prevent it going to court. 

More serious offences would just be a summons to court and typically would have been cautioned at the roadside and would bypass this process and go straight to a summons within 6 months. 

In short, the teams do not cover each other’s work, and CTO is merely processing simple tickets and evidence, turning out a letter. It doesn’t have the complexity of firearms licencing checks etc. 

6 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

BUT, that is a known person, not an initial grant!

Agreed. I just wanted to cover the fact it’s a new FAC grant in essence, but due to it going coterminous and the person is known and ‘vetted’ then they are processing them and not treating them the same as a new grant. 

On 19/01/2022 at 17:36, Pops_Hants said:

If it's a static camera these are often processed by local council's, as it's an admin review. If it is a mobile camera that sends it in the post it is police staff that often man the cameras. Only if you're physically stopped is it a police officer

So close :) 

It’s all run by the safer roads collaboration for Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. Below copied from the web to ensure all agencies are captured, and I believe it’s lead by HantsPol with the collaboration of the other services:

Hampshire Constabulary works in partnership with Hampshire County Council, Portsmouth City Council, Southampton City Council, Isle of Wight Council, Her Majesty’s Courts Service, The Highways Agency, the Fire and Rescues Services and Ambulance Services of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight respectively.

4 hours ago, JDog said:

I emailed Lincolnshire Firearms Dept. today asking about possible delays (mine is due for renewal in six months time).

They told me to submit an application in two months time and indicated that any delay after the due date would almost certainly be due to the GP practice being tardy with their response.

Out of interest, I needed to renew my SC with Beds, Cambs & Herts team for 1 Oct last year.  The paperwork I received regarding my medical status came with the renewal docs, which I passed to  my GP.  They did their stuff and returned it to me.  I simply attached it to the other pages and sent via tracked delivery.

I didn't receive the new licence until 14 Oct mind, but amazingly it was "signed" 1 Oct :)

1 minute ago, stockybasher said:

Out of interest, I needed to renew my SC with Beds, Cambs & Herts team for 1 Oct last year.  The paperwork I received regarding my medical status came with the renewal docs, which I passed to  my GP.  They did their stuff and returned it to me.  I simply attached it to the other pages and sent via tracked delivery.

I didn't receive the new licence until 14 Oct mind, but amazingly it was "signed" 1 Oct 

But next time you will have to do it all online!

On 20/01/2022 at 18:08, HantsRob said:

So close  

It’s all run by the safer roads collaboration for Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. Below copied from the web to ensure all agencies are captured, and I believe it’s lead by HantsPol with the collaboration of the other services:

Hampshire Constabulary works in partnership with Hampshire County Council, Portsmouth City Council, Southampton City Council, Isle of Wight Council, Her Majesty’s Courts Service, The Highways Agency, the Fire and Rescues Services and Ambulance Services of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight respectively.

Ah I see, 

This highlights a good point, how different constabularies run. When I lived in Essex my partners Mum worked for the council, and could tell me which cameras were operational as her department processed the static cameras (not that she did, else I’d of avoided a drivers awareness course! Haha).

It’s obviously different for Hampshire and other constabularies.

The same is true for licensing, some have closed new applicants and some have not. 

When all is said and done, for me I am applying as a hobbyist so I am accepting of delays etc. 

15 hours ago, samboy said:

I know there are a lot of police who shoot. I wonder if they have to wait for months for a

renewal or grant etc. I rest my case.

I can categorically tell you that a Hampshire officer will get less favourable treatment than a new grant from someone that doesn't serve.

I can assure you 100% and unequivocally that they will go through the same checks even though their vetting is on file, and that they go through an ADDITIONAL check higher up the chain to ensure the licencing team have followed all process and have carried no favour or prejudice. 

You may rest your case but your guess is purely a guess without any basis. Please don't become a lawyer ;)

Sorry to sound harsh, but I can guarantee and could demonstrate that they get the same process plus additional process. There is, as @Old farrier states, more stringent criteria for serving officers and staff. Please note to keep the persons anonymity that I will not be showing how or why. 

On 22/01/2022 at 07:59, Pops_Hants said:

Ah I see, 

This highlights a good point, how different constabularies run.

When all is said and done, for me I am applying as a hobbyist so I am accepting of delays etc. 

Absolutely, but the changes going through now and with Hampshire leading a lot of it, there is going to be more standardisation.

Before this current hiatus, the average new grant waiting time (dates refreshed 3rd quarter last year) was 103 days I believe (may have been 110?) in Hampshire.

Indeed, they are still allowing emails from persons needing a SGC or FAC as part of an employment, so hopefully only new grants that will then fire up when re-opening. Fingers crossed that your medical form is still in date when they re-open!

Hopefully this is an indication the end is coming?:

"Grant applications: If you do not have a completed GP form already we recommend waiting until February before you apply."

https://www.hampshire.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/fi/af/firearms-licensing/

16 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

I can categorically tell you that a Hampshire officer will get less favourable treatment than a new grant from someone that doesn't serve.

I can assure you 100% and unequivocally that they will go through the same checks even though their vetting is on file, and that they go through an ADDITIONAL check higher up the chain to ensure the licencing team have followed all process and have carried no favour or prejudice. 

You may rest your case but your guess is purely a guess without any basis. Please don't become a lawyer

Sorry to sound harsh, but I can guarantee and could demonstrate that they get the same process plus additional process. There is, as @Old farrier states, more stringent criteria for serving officers and staff. Please note to keep the persons anonymity that I will not be showing how or why. 

Absolutely, but the changes going through now and with Hampshire leading a lot of it, there is going to be more standardisation.

Before this current hiatus, the average new grant waiting time (dates refreshed 3rd quarter last year) was 103 days I believe (may have been 110?) in Hampshire.

Indeed, they are still allowing emails from persons needing a SGC or FAC as part of an employment, so hopefully only new grants that will then fire up when re-opening. Fingers crossed that your medical form is still in date when they re-open!

"Grant applications: If you do not have a completed GP form already we recommend waiting until February before you apply."

https://www.hampshire.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/fi/af/firearms-licensing/

Point taken.

5 hours ago, HantsRob said:

Sadly that was posted in December, so I don’t think this makes much if any difference.

it’s one thing that confused me, my application was already 60 days in with medical etc. Why not just keep it on the back burner until reopened.

I can guess the answer in reality but still, wishful thinking n all.

thanks for the replies though Rob, always informative 👍🏼

• 2 weeks later...

I was 58 days in and it looks like it'll be another 58 days by the time they start processing again! Has anyone contacted them recently? I would have thought that they would start up again once we got to February as their note says if you have yet to get the GP to sign forms then wait until Feb. 

On 03/02/2022 at 09:05, Azza14786 said:

I was 58 days in and it looks like it'll be another 58 days by the time they start processing again! Has anyone contacted them recently? I would have thought that they would start up again once we got to February as their note says if you have yet to get the GP to sign forms then wait until Feb. 

I was about the same, submitted my initial application Oct 27th. I emailed them 20th Jan asking if they were going to open applications again as the government eased restrictions but got a swift reply saying the suspension was still in place and that was it. No idea when they'll reopen them. Even if they reopen soon I dread to think how long the wait could be.
I was shooting at the weekend and chatting to the instructor in Dorset there was someone waiting 18 months!

Oh no 18 months!!! I’ve literally just emailed them asking if they have any idea when they are going to start again! With all restrictions now pretty minimal I don’t understand how grants are still not being accepted. I am supposed to b even joining a local wildfowling club but without any idea when or if the application will be processed soon there isn’t really much point paying the annual fee! This must be having a sever knock on to local gun shops and clay grounds.