Hampshire Constabulary Suspending Firearms Grant Application Service

Steveveets

3 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Using your gun on your license?

would you do this with a perfect stranger ?

or would you like to have some information about them 

Answer Q1. Yes.

Answer Q2. No, I don’t pick up strangers to take clay shooting.

Answer Q3. No not necessary, as they and their family are known to me. One is actually a police Sargent. 

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Scully said:

I genuinely can’t understand why there are people who insist on creating unnecessary obstacles for those who may be interested in taking up the sport, it baffles and frustrates me no end! Why, just why do we do insist on this unofficial officialdom? Is it a power thing? 
Which part are you referring to when you state it ‘makes it easier’ ? Makes what easier? 
I have lost count of the numbers I have introduced to shooting at numerous venues and opportunities, none of which have involved them passing on personal details of any kind which bear absolutely no relevance to an individuals suitability to ‘have a go’! 
There is also no requirement for a would be applicant to show proof of experience or a record of attendance at a clay ground, nor for a FEO to check for such a record! 
It’s nonsense, complete and utter nonsense, of no benefit to anyone. 

Well said.

I think the answer to the question in bold is below

12 hours ago, Old farrier said:

id far rather have a few boxes ticked for peace of mind

Oh but the paperwork was in order?  Dave's dead but at least everyone in his party signed in?

12 hours ago, Old farrier said:

proof of use of the exemption

Perhaps you could point us to the legislation that obligates anyone to 'prove the use' of anything? 

The exemption needs to be applied for by the shoot organiser, and he remains liable in law.  My local force has admirably clear guidance on the application page.  Note, there's no requirement for record-keeping.

1. Your initial application should be made at least six weeks before the first event is to take place. We will not guarantee grants outside of this timeframe. 
  2. You must be in a position to accept responsibility for safety at the event and have an appropriate form of insurance to cover any accidents.
  3. As the organiser of such event, you have liability in law.
  4. It is your responsibility to ensure no person who is lawfully prohibited under the Section 21 of the Firearms Act is allowed access to guns.
  5. No person who appears to be intoxicated or under the influence of drugs should be allowed to be in possession of guns.
  6. Health and safety regulations require that appropriate safety equipment must be made available to all parties requiring it. You should consider conducting a risk assessment for the activity.
  7. There must be a zone extending to 275 metres from the shooting point in the direction of fire, which should be clearly defined.
  8. Shot, broken or whole clay targets must not land on any areas where the public have access, or where permission from the owner of the land has not been granted.
  9. All guns should only be loaded when on the firing point.
  10. Be aware of the potential for noise pollution.

20 hours ago, Old farrier said:

The question wasn’t clutching at straws it was simple with three choices which you evaded 

yes I have taken a few over the years I’ve also been on the have a go stand  where perfect strangers have turned up to have a go 

Working on your idea’s why do they need/bother to issue exemption certificates to shooting grounds and if no one signs the book form how do they show/ prove they need/ use the exemption 

It’s good to see the different view points on this especially as they are so far apart as I said earlier I live in a different area with different idea’s 

id far rather have a few boxes ticked for peace of mind and proof of use of the exemption which you seem to think is a infringement of liberties and unnecessary that’s why we are all different with different views in these changing times 

As for the game fair id just produce my license so not really relevant 

If you’re ever down my way happy to take you for a few rounds of clay’s as long as you don’t mind producing your license and filling in the guest form at the club (insurance requirement)

I wasn’t evading any questions, and thought I’d answered, despite you evading mine, but if you want specifics then I suppose as I’m insured we would use mine, although it isn’t compulsory for either of us to be insured. 
They won’t be insured as they don’t have a SGC nor a shotgun, I thought this would have been self explanatory. 
I’m assuming the ground is insured but have never asked, exactly in the same manner as I have never been asked to show my insurance or SGC, because as I said, neither is compulsory. 
They issue exemption certificates for the purposes Udderlyoffroad has explained very neatly and timely, because if I’m honest I had no idea why they were issued apart from providing a route by which non certified users could shoot, but I did know there is no ‘form’ to fill in, ‘standard’ or otherwise; that is something created entirely unnecessarily by a few power hungry jobsworths, just as I suspected. 
I never mentioned anything about infringements of liberties, that is something again, entirely cooked up by you. 
Thanks for the kind offer, but I won’t be rushing anywhere to fill in a totally unnecessary, meaningless and irrelevant ‘guest form’. Thanks anyhow. 
If you’re ever up this way however, I can show you how it’s done properly. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Now it's quietened down between you, does anyone know anyone that has had a grant application approved since reopening? myself, Pops_Hants and 3 others I know hasn't even had references contacted or had home visits.

My GP form is now over 8 months old so I will have to go and pay again. Would it be better to wait until they contact me or be proactive and get it signed off again? 

7 hours ago, Azza14786 said:

Now it's quietened down between you, does anyone know anyone that has had a grant application approved since reopening? myself, Pops_Hants and 3 others I know hasn't even had references contacted or had home visits.

My GP form is now over 8 months old so I will have to go and pay again. Would it be better to wait until they contact me or be proactive and get it signed off again? 

I’d say wait the 12 weeks first, that’s their quoted target on their website. 

There’s a few wordings when it comes to certificate.

Currently if you apply it’s a max 6 months old. But when applications were suspended I received an email that advised as long as my cert was not more than 8 months old when I applied it will be good. 
I don’t know what will become of it to be honest, but if I gotta get another then so be it, no point getting bent out of shape as it won’t count towards you. 

2 hours ago, Pops_Hants said:

I’d say wait the 12 weeks first, that’s their quoted target on their website. 

There’s a few wordings when it comes to certificate.

Currently if you apply it’s a max 6 months old. But when applications were suspended I received an email that advised as long as my cert was not more than 8 months old when I applied it will be good. 
I don’t know what will become of it to be honest, but if I gotta get another then so be it, no point getting bent out of shape as it won’t count towards you. 

That’s the way I took it but as with anything official there is always different interpretations. I’m not getting irate just annoyed I’ve missed joining the wildfowling club this year and anxious to know what sort of wait we’re looking at. I’ve been browsing the sale section and guntrader since last year and just want to get my cabinet filled 😂

56 minutes ago, Azza14786 said:

That’s the way I took it but as with anything official there is always different interpretations. I’m not getting irate just annoyed I’ve missed joining the wildfowling club this year and anxious to know what sort of wait we’re looking at. I’ve been browsing the sale section and guntrader since last year and just want to get my cabinet filled 😂

Maybe a email explaining your intentions on joining the wildfowling club would help along with a cover note from the club in question who maybe extend the closing date for new members 

just a thought as they have always been helpful in the past along with the wildfowling clubs 

they have started doing home visits and security checks 

On 17/06/2022 at 21:41, Azza14786 said:

I hear ya mate, today marks 11 elapsed weeks since application. My medical was done late October. I wonder if I should just get another done just for the sake of it. Guess it can’t hurt, although I’d hate to do one and still not have a licence after a further 6 months! 

I lost interest for a short period of time and nearly gave up, but having shot recently I’m geared up again! 

9 hours ago, Ferretlurcher1970 said:

Which wildfowling club where you going to join?

I was interested in both Chichester or Langstone as I’m in between the 2. I believe Langstone haven’t renewed the lease on their woodland which is a shame but it has probably been shot to death anyway. 

yep 11 weeks in too, that was my concern about having to renew and forking out for the GP form again that it may still not be enough hearing some of the wait times of other applicants in different counties. 

10 hours ago, Ferretlurcher1970 said:

Unfortunately it's a mess. If you manage to get you license in time for the season you could do day tickets with wildfowling clubs

I would fight have to get a new gp letter. There cock up not yours

Agreed, but after waiting for them to get round to doing it, I’d be inclined to get a new GP Letter if they ask for it to speed it up.

• 2 weeks later...

So quick update for anyone still interested in this thread, 

I had my interview last week, a little over 13 weeks since application when they reopened.

FEO had been drafted in to support. He was doing one interview a day as paperwork was not ready from the office. Normally he’d do 3.

just waiting for the license to land on the doormat now, which the feo admitted he wasn’t sure how long it would take as the office is so behind, but could expect a longish wait if around 6 weeks or more. 

that’s all I can do now, so just another waiting game! 

You're joking! When he was at mine he said should have it within a couple of weeks! He must have had an update from the office since! At least we have reached the final step and back to waiting 😁

Positive point is it gives me a bit more time to get some cash together for my first buy/s 😆

9 hours ago, Azza14786 said:

You're joking! When he was at mine he said should have it within a couple of weeks! He must have had an update from the office since! At least we have reached the final step and back to waiting 😁

Positive point is it gives me a bit more time to get some cash together for my first buy/s 😆

What's your budget and what are you looking to buy? 

1 hour ago, Azza14786 said:

I’m after a 3” SxS, I’ve not really set a budget. I’m still hoping to join the wildfowling club so something I can get standard steel through or at least something i’m willing to put it through. AYA yeoman/No.3 maybe. 

Interesting. I know a friend I shoot with from this forum has some wildfowling experience with a couple of clubs. I thought he may have been selling off a wildfowling gun at a reasonable price was the only reason why I asked.

Probably too shot notice for you, but if you're not working tomorrow PM he and I are shooting at Spitfire if you wanted to join. You get to shoot and talk birds. :D

7 hours ago, HantsRob said:

Interesting. I know a friend I shoot with from this forum has some wildfowling experience with a couple of clubs. I thought he may have been selling off a wildfowling gun at a reasonable price was the only reason why I asked.

Probably too shot notice for you, but if you're not working tomorrow PM he and I are shooting at Spitfire if you wanted to join. You get to shoot and talk birds.

Yeah it is a bit, I've got a lot on at the moment so it's difficult to get anything in!!! Shame though but could do some other time. 

I've got a call with the club tonight to chat about options etc. Let me know what he's got if he is selling anything. I'm finding most are miles away or not quite what I'm after. So if it is around Hampshire then ideal.

• 5 weeks later...

So I think it's just Scrim and I who are waiting for an SGC on this thread, but thought I'd give a little update....

(Re) applied April 4th

Interview 30th June

Still waiting for paperwork

281 days since I first applied (Oct 21)

123 days since reapplication

36 days since interview

It's a waiting game for now, maybe we'll get a licence this side of Christmas, but not holding my breath

19 minutes ago, Scrimshanker said:

6 weeks since FEO visit today and just watched the postie walk by 😭

Don't despair..

Mine was hand delivered and similar to yourself I had been saddened by the postie walking straight past the house one Saturday morning only for the certificate to then be pushed through the letter box an hour or so later.