Jump to content

Hampshire Constabulary Suspending Firearms Grant Application Service


Steveveets
 Share

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, samboy said:

They all seem to find time to send out fines for traffic offences. Or am i on the wrong track ?.

Different department I think mate. I don't know if the firearms admin teams are officers (I assume maybe not?), but I don't imagine they are used for sending out speeding tickets.

If it's a static camera these are often processed by local council's, as it's an admin review. If it is a mobile camera that sends it in the post it is police staff that often man the cameras. Only if you're physically stopped is it a police officer.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, Pops_Hants said:

So after Hampshire closed applications basically naming Covid as the reason, I wonder if they will open new applications again once Plan B measures end next Thursday.

I'm hoping so as I was 60 days in when they suspended new applications and returned my application.

Probably best to look online and send them a email 

Always found them very helpful 

please remember that they have to do what the boss tells them 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still don’t understand how they can take it on themselves just to stop processing license applications? 
I wonder if other departments like DVLA or passport can simply decide they are suspending the application process. 🤷‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Scully said:

I still don’t understand how they can take it on themselves just to stop processing license applications? 
I wonder if other departments like DVLA or passport can simply decide they are suspending the application process. 🤷‍♂️

Do the DVLA or passport office do home visits?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Probably best to look online and send them a email 

Always found them very helpful 

please remember that they have to do what the boss tells them 

I’ve dropped them an email today, I’m also signed up to their email alerts. Just chomping at the bit to be ‘independent’ so to speak. 
 

I’m with you, I always remember they’re only following instructions, no matter your feelings towards the decision being rude to anyone isn’t acceptable nor will it gain you any advantage in gaining your desired result. Manners cost nothing. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I still don’t understand how they can take it on themselves just to stop processing license applications? 
I wonder if other departments like DVLA or passport can simply decide they are suspending the application process. 🤷‍♂️

They did. 
 

DVLA stopped tests during lockdown or when a county went into Tier 4. 
 

Whilst I understand frustrations, and that these organizations are providing a public service, during covid it was government advice, and sometimes law to suspend these activities during the worst peaks of covid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Do the DVLA or passport office do home visits?

Do you really not know the answer to that? 

24 minutes ago, Pops_Hants said:

I’ve dropped them an email today, I’m also signed up to their email alerts. Just chomping at the bit to be ‘independent’ so to speak. 
 

I’m with you, I always remember they’re only following instructions, no matter your feelings towards the decision being rude to anyone isn’t acceptable nor will it gain you any advantage in gaining your desired result. Manners cost nothing. 

They did. 
 

DVLA stopped tests during lockdown or when a county went into Tier 4. 
 

Whilst I understand frustrations, and that these organizations are providing a public service, during covid it was government advice, and sometimes law to suspend these activities during the worst peaks of covid.

But it isn’t government advice now, nor was it when Hampshire decided they were no longer going to carry out grants. We aren’t in lockdown, let alone Tier 4. 

Edited by Scully
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Scully said:

I still don’t understand how they can take it on themselves just to stop processing license applications? 
I wonder if other departments like DVLA or passport can simply decide they are suspending the application process. 🤷‍♂️

After it taking 8months to get a V5 out of DVLA they might as well have…..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Strange that Leicestershire Police still managed to handle my renewal.  What are Hants going to do with a 'tea leaf' ?  Say hang on pal we will be back to deal with you in 6 months.  Pathetic.

Now come on Mate, you know the difference between a renewal and a grant, so why are you surprised?   :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Now come on Mate, you know the difference between a renewal and a grant, so why are you surprised?   

No excuse other than departments that are not WOKE in the police force today get put on the back burner. So much money wasted on silly schemes, like having an officer drive around putting leaflets through doors which happened around here, but when you want one you get a crime number over the telephone.    When was the last time you saw one out on the streets?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

No excuse other than departments that are not WOKE in the police force today get put on the back burner. So much money wasted on silly schemes, like having an officer drive around putting leaflets through doors which happened around here, but when you want one you get a crime number over the telephone.    When was the last time you saw one out on the streets?

I stress again the massive difference between initial grant and renewal.

 

I do take your point about the decline in uniformed Officer visibility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I stress again the massive difference between initial grant and renewal.

 

I do take your point about the decline in uniformed Officer visibility.

We could go on for ever more but to just stop all applications for new certificates is an admission that you can't do the job.  I have a problem with our cooker and the young enginer turned up asked if he needed to mask up and came in and did what was necessary. No problem to us. Now tell me what is the difference to an investigating officer calling, checking your security arrangements and making an assesment of your circumstances. None.  In fact an initial application is not much more than what a normal visit for a renewal was. Needs a visit to the shooting ground/area/farm yes but the same applies.     As a retired officer it makes me so sad to see our police forces reduced to this state.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

We could go on for ever more but to just stop all applications for new certificates is an admission that you can't do the job.  I have a problem with our cooker and the young enginer turned up asked if he needed to mask up and came in and did what was necessary. No problem to us. Now tell me what is the difference to an investigating officer calling, checking your security arrangements and making an assesment of your circumstances. None.  In fact an initial application is not much more than what a normal visit for a renewal was. Needs a visit to the shooting ground/area/farm yes but the same applies.     As a retired officer it makes me so sad to see our police forces reduced to this state.

Indeed, but if they stop all NEW grants and concentrate on processing renewals at least nobody will have to either seek a Section 7 or lodge their weapons with a friend or RFD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Strange that Leicestershire Police still managed to handle my renewal.  What are Hants going to do with a 'tea leaf' ?  Say hang on pal we will be back to deal with you in 6 months.  Pathetic.

Hants are still processing renewals.

 

I’ve just heard back also. No change, sign up to marketing to be told when. I have a suspicion they will want to churn through a number of renewals before opening up grants again. 

11 hours ago, Scully said:

 

But it isn’t government advice now, nor was it when Hampshire decided they were no longer going to carry out grants. We aren’t in lockdown, let alone Tier 4. 

We were still under the ‘Plan B’ guidelines and there was a booster drive ongoing. 
I’m not saying right or wrong, but i can just see where it’s being driven from. 
 

why they can’t run the service similar to hospitality I don’t know, proof of a negative lateral flow within 24 hours prior to your visit and wear a mask when they visit. I’m sure most it not all would comply as we all want our grants / renewals approved. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/12/2021 at 12:13, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Absolutely nothing!

Er no, BASC have been challenging this since November last year. 

Bringing a judicial review against such a decision is a costly venture, and if the police forces rely on similar justification to that cited upthread from Hampshire it might be a risky endeavour. Writing to the PCC to complain about this is a first step in which is more likely than anything else to produce a resolution more speedily for members.

If the suspension of processing grant applications continues and some test cases of would-be applicants come forward then a judicial review may be advisable, as long as the Government haven't passed their intended legislation to restrict judicial reviews by then, that is. 

 

https://basc.org.uk/north-yorkshire-police-in-breach-of-statutory-duty-says-basc/  (Nov 2021)

https://basc.org.uk/firearms-licensing-what-you-need-to-know/ (5 Dec 2021)

https://basc.org.uk/basc-warns-firearms-licensing-delays-at-untenable-level/ (11 Jan 2022)

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pops_Hants said:

 

We were still under the ‘Plan B’ guidelines and there was a booster drive ongoing. 
I’m not saying right or wrong, but i can just see where it’s being driven from. 
 

why they can’t run the service similar to hospitality I don’t know, proof of a negative lateral flow within 24 hours prior to your visit and wear a mask when they visit. I’m sure most it not all would comply as we all want our grants / renewals approved. 

But we weren’t in lockdown, and the booster programme had no bearing on restrictions at all regarding visitors to homes. 
There is no obligation within hospitality, nor has there ever been, to provide proof of a negative lateral flow test prior to a visit. There is no requirement either, to wear a mask prior to a visit regarding hospitality. 
When my FEO visited he asked if I wanted him to wear a mask, I said it was entirely up to him. He didn’t bother. 
There really are no excuses not to provide this service, other than one of agenda. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes I agree they are not putting sufficient staff and resources where we think they should.

But they are prioritizing.

Over what is anybodies guess. They are there to do THE JOB,  not prioritise. That is what the Brtish public pay for.  We didn't prioritirese back in the early 70s. If necessary as in my case I worked 12hr shifts without rest days to cover and took the overtime in time off not payment after the emergency had ended some 12 months later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Over what is anybodies guess. They are there to do THE JOB,  not prioritise. That is what the Brtish public pay for.  We didn't prioritirese back in the early 70s. If necessary as in my case I worked 12hr shifts without rest days to cover and took the overtime in time off not payment after the emergency had ended some 12 months later.

Oh again I completely agree with you, BUT someone in authority will not see grants as important!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...