Hardprimers

30-6

Using 53g Hornady Superperformance V Max which group very, very good in my Sauer 100 with a 1 / 10 twist, out of about 24 shot, two have not fired. 

Is this normal / acceptable ?  Cost me a fox last night, now even though they group so good feel a loss of confidece in them.

I've not shot factory ammo for cant remember when but not un heard of and not really good. But before blaming the ammo i would check a few things1st, 

Check the indent on the primers is consistent, does it give a good strong strike ? 

Clean the firing pin, blast with electro cleaner of lighter fluid. 

On 21/12/2021 at 21:03, 30-6 said:

Using 53g Hornady Superperformance V Max which group very, very good in my Sauer 100 with a 1 / 10 twist, out of about 24 shot, two have not fired. 

Is this normal / acceptable ?  Cost me a fox last night, now even though they group so good feel a loss of confidece in them.

Hi Dougy

Thanks for the reply.

The gun was bought new about 2 or 3 years ago, and including zeroing sessions shot I would say about 200 rounds, and never misfired any other brand. So I am assuming firing pin strike is good.

The Hornady Super performance 53g, which are really really accurate at 100 yds off bench bags were bought as part of various brands to ascertain best ammo. Out of two boxes of 20, the first box fired OK, the second box misfired on the 2nd round, then again on round 12.

I have just looked at fired rounds of various brands with a magnifying glass and all seem to have similar strikes, as on the OK fired ones of this problem box. However, the two misfired ones have definitely got shallower indentations, they are indented but not as much as fired ammo.

I don't know if this is a stupid question, bear in mind I am relatively new to centre fire, does the bolt when loading need to be done with some force as opposed to gently, to, for want of a better phrase  cock the firing pin / spring. Could it be I am too gentle when chambering a round ?

Inconsistent strike would point me at the firing pin spring being a bit tacky possibly gunked up, if you can strip the bolt do that and clean with something like i suggested, lighter fluid, electro cleaner, petrol, spirits or similar. You may get some suggestions about head space but as its a new problem i doubt it. 

Its all assuming of course that the ammo has not been left to get damp and fluffed the primers, but never had that happen even in bloody cold -15 and wet weathers. 

Cheers for the reply.

I have about 8 of the 53g problem ones left. What I plan to do is use other brands and see how they perform, if problem still occurs then I will strip the bolt.

All ammo is kept in an inside safe, so damp not a problem.

Once again, thanks for the suggestions.

Here is a pic of zeroing. This was done in daytime at 100 yds off bench bags through a photon using the pin hole aperture in front cover, little wind. The 55g was rushed as farmer was about to move cattle, so could probably be better. Targets were 3 inch diameter. IMG_20220101_221237.jpg.9cf8f211ca180978e64aeb95339868d4.jpg

Definitely light primer strike causing the miss fire from the image, good pattern though as in no sign of damaged firing pin. Have you tried a 2nd firing on the misfired rounds at all, i would be surprised if they didn't fire. Not a fix i know. 

Have you stripped the bolt and removed any gunk ? 

With the misfires I pulled the bullet, tipped gunpowder onto a wet tissue and put in bin, guess I should squirt a little oil down into primers.

Can't find any tutorial on how to dismantle my particular bolt, nothing in manual. So as there is nothing ousing out of bolt to see, and with the little work it has done I think as mentioned before I will use other brands of ammo, if problem still persists I will then move onto bolt dismantle.

Many, many thanks to you all for your help and suggestions much appreciated.