Off-cuts as log burner fuel

RockySpears

Plenty of knowledgeable people here so ....   Is using timber off-cuts ok for a logburner?  The wood is obviously kiln dried, but is there anything else about it that makes it unsuitable?  Local timber merchant is selling rubble sacks of off-cuts as fuel, so wondered about its suitability.  I have some felled trees drying out, but not yet dry enough, some is even green when split,

Thank you,

RS

11 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

Plenty of knowledgeable people here so ....   Is using timber off-cuts ok for a logburner?  The wood is obviously kiln dried, but is there anything else about it that makes it unsuitable?  Local timber merchant is selling rubble sacks of off-cuts as fuel, so wondered about its suitability.  I have some felled trees drying out, but not yet dry enough, some is even green when split,

Thank you,

RS

There are a few interesting comments about who burns what in this older thread

Personally I used any wood offcuts or scrap wood I could get. On the proviso that it was clean and dry, unpainted and untreated.

Just be aware that purely burning wood tend to soot up your flue/chimney quicker than using a solid fuel.

I use off cuts, a good friend gets them from a pallet manufacturer. Some is kiln dry (They burn too fast and too hot) others are soaking (they basically make smouldering smoke bombs) - but a mixture of the 2 works well. 

I only have a single story twin wall, it stays clean as it doesn't have time to cool done before it’s out the top. 

I’ve burned pallet blocks and no issues. The only issue is mine is a multi fuel stove so the nails block the grate. 

6 minutes ago, markm said:

The only issue is mine is a multi fuel stove so the nails block the grate. 

I have a few large magnets I use to pick up cartridges, so will just run that over the ashes first.

Stove fan and moisture meter on way.

8 minutes ago, markm said:

I only have a single story twin wall

The bungalow life?  My second will be like that, front room is up a chinmey, pot lined.  Just as well as the could not pull the flue liner round a particularly tight bend,

RS

15 minutes ago, team tractor said:

I sell a wheelie bin full of oak , mahogany, pine off cuts at £15 each at our workshop and I’m  struggling to keep up with the demand . 

I was allowed to collect a two ton four wheel trailer used as a rubbish skip for hardwood off cuts every time it was full for FREE!

Those were the days.

Edited by London Best

The main problem with burning tantalised /treated  wood is that it can often release cyanide from the burning wood along with other dangerous chemical cocktails that can build up as a residue on the stove and flue even when the smoke goes up the chimney.

ideally wood should have below 20% moisture content for a clean burn otherwise your burning wood and making steam and tar that can block the flue over time . All types wood have different calorific values as well.

Mowdy

7 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

You are not alone 👍

I have also brought brushes to clean my chimney liner myself, just fasten them to a cordless drill.

I clean my own chimneys too , I clean them about three times each winter , but get very little out of them . I do run my log burner very hot though. I've never had a liner , as I've never felt the need for one.