My new apprentice

Spr1985

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

She’s doing great thanks 😊 becoming stubborn/clever/wise to it very quickly, goes into a down without fail when food is involved but refuses point blankly to do it otherwise despite having trained it in with and without food/treats but still very much a youngster so not expecting to much to quickly. I’m hoping the stubbornness is a temporary streak 🤣

On 16/02/2022 at 22:07, Spr1985 said:

Spent 15 mins playing with pip and some light training on “down”  gobsmacked at how quick she picked it up! Came in from work this evening got rid of the boots put the slippers on and went to say hi to pip and the wife in the kitchen and thought I’d test pips memory……

Looks a nice attentive pup :) 

22 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

Took the family (including pip) to the point to point racing today and the wife caught a cracking picture so thought I’d share 

2F00CE7E-8649-4CD2-960C-5D4CFDEE1BF3.jpeg

Lovely picture, she's coming on Well 👍

21 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Nice GSP. I’m out with the NW GSP group tomorrow. 

May I ask, out doing what?

30 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

May I ask, out doing what?

Sampling biodiversity (and grouse) to aid management. This moor was teaming with life, hundreds of grouse and snow coloured mountain hares. Lots of short eared owls, snipe and woodcock. Ravens. Evidence of harrier or other BoP kills (carcasses plucked in classic BoP manner). Golden Plover. 

Last week was grouse, roe, hen harrier, lizard, hares, rabbits, curlew, lapwing, partridge and pheasant. 

Every region has a GSP, or at least an HPR, training club. If you join and work at it you’ll get to know people and invited onto other associated activities. 

7CFFFF77-C98A-44A3-9243-774C20B05C1F.jpeg

4062E828-7A9C-4888-B7C2-46AF6628EC65.jpeg

4 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Sampling biodiversity (and grouse) to aid management. This moor was teaming with life, hundreds of grouse and snow coloured mountain hares. Lots of short eared owls, snipe and woodcock. Ravens. Evidence of harrier or other BoP kills (carcasses plucked in classic BoP manner). Golden Plover. 

Last week was grouse, roe, hen harrier, lizard, hares, rabbits, curlew, lapwing, partridge and pheasant. 

Every region has a GSP, or at least an HPR, training club. If you join and work at it you’ll get to know people and invited onto other associated activities. 

It sounds good, well done 👍

59 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Sounds very interesting @WalkedUp I shall look into it. Couple of cracking pictures there! Hope you both had a fantastic day.

• 3 weeks later...

Took pip out for a walk today on one of the farms I shoot through the wildfowling club. I noticed how close she was sticking despite being on a long line so I decided I’d let go and see how it went. She was amazing, came to every recall (had to call twice on one occasion) and was checking in visually pretty much constantly. I got a video of the recall but way to big to upload. I’ve also tried to compress it but still to big so a picture will have to suffice instead. 

06041485-EC74-4F91-818C-0CEF80CB2B93.jpeg

On 02/04/2022 at 19:02, Spr1985 said:

Took pip out for a walk today on one of the farms I shoot through the wildfowling club. I noticed how close she was sticking despite being on a long line so I decided I’d let go and see how it went. She was amazing, came to every recall (had to call twice on one occasion) and was checking in visually pretty much constantly. I got a video of the recall but way to big to upload. I’ve also tried to compress it but still to big so a picture will have to suffice instead. 

06041485-EC74-4F91-818C-0CEF80CB2B93.jpeg

Coming long nicely 👌 

• 1 month later...

Hey, she’s doing well thank you coming along nicely on leash but very much still using her nose at every opportunity. Due to the recent death of a close family member  I’ve not started any sort of “gun dog” training as yet. I want to be able to give the training and her my full attention and commitment. I’m just keeping up with the basics of obedience and playful fetch etc for now. I will 100% update once I get going with the more specific retrieving and steadiness side of things. I also have plenty more reading to do to help me with it all. 

10 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

Hey, she’s doing well thank you coming along nicely on leash but very much still using her nose at every opportunity. Due to the recent death of a close family member  I’ve not started any sort of “gun dog” training as yet. I want to be able to give the training and her my full attention and commitment. I’m just keeping up with the basics of obedience and playful fetch etc for now. I will 100% update once I get going with the more specific retrieving and steadiness side of things. I also have plenty more reading to do to help me with it all. 

Thanks for the update, I am sure you will sort it 👍 

• 1 month later...

Another small update.  I have been having an issue with pip pulling on the lead and taking no notice of correction so delved into some more reading for advice and knowledge from those that have been there and done it”  my conclusion was to switch to a slip lead in a figure of 8 over her snout. Wow 😮 what a game changer! She absolutely hated it from the second I put it on her but…..it also totally changed her attitude/stubbornness and how she walks. Within a minute or so she learnt pull = pressure and that she doesn’t like pressure. She now walks at my side and I’m able to hold the lead with one finger (I did this as a test and hold the lead properly for the just incase factor) if she gets even a little bit ahead of my pace and feels the pressure coming she instantly backs off without correction. To say I’m over the moon with the change is an understatement! 

pips answer to the lead she doesn’t like…

1FF6AE9A-6655-4385-A931-FBB505385789.png

Edited by Spr1985
Adding photo

• 3 months later...

So pip turned one yesterday the time has flown by! F395E55E-DAF8-428E-9B40-1F3785F9E1D8.jpeg.c69e9f5d3a5d1dcb8631dc37858f031c.jpeg

and today I had her out testing what she was like with gun shot, started by walking the boundary of a shoot that was in full swing not in the slightest bit bothered and ended the day sat in a ditch with her flighting pigeons, again not in the slightest bit bothered about the noise, sniffed the empty cartridges and the chamber of gun and swiftly moved back to hunting stones. So it seems to an I experienced handler I have no issues with her being gun shy 😊

13108E21-009F-4E50-9C12-7F2DFA9F0F0E.jpeg

94FBCF9D-541E-4C2B-8D66-A7FD13B43BD0.png

26 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Cracking looking dog. Nice eyes.  I miss my old GSPhe was a true friend.

Thanks walker, she’s lovely and wants nothing more than to be with me….or more to the point on me! I learnt very quickly why they’re called Velcro dogs!

17 minutes ago, ditchman said:

lovely markings

Cheers Ditchman,  waited years to get one and picked her out partly because of how nice she looked 😊.  the markings have developed nicely as she’s got bigger.