Out of storage sxs

millrace

So ive just got a yeoman thats been stored for prob 10 yrs and shot very little before....this is an older 40yr+ gun....

So  cleaned barrels they are like a mirror...full case colour tight as a drum.....

So would love to stip action as  im sure a spray of oil would help after all this time....is this hard to do?? and is it worth doing??

2 minutes ago, millrace said:

So ive just got a yeoman thats been stored for prob 10 yrs and shot very little before....this is an older 40yr+ gun....

So  cleaned barrels they are like a mirror...full case colour tight as a drum.....

So would love to stip action as  im sure a spray of oil would help after all this time....is this hard to do?? and is it worth doing??

If it’s working ok ?

The Yeoman is a conventional Anson & Deeley (A&D) style boxlock, simple and robust.  Guns left for long periods can suffer from dried out grease, but it really depends what has been applied in the past.

Generally, just squirting oil in is not a good idea - firstly as too much oil is bad, especially for the wood, but also because you need any old hardened and dirty oil/grease out.  If you feel competent, I suspect you will find videos 'on line' on servicing A&D.  Otherwise, it is a routine gunsmith task.

As a minimum, I would clean off the joint pin, hook, lump bolt recesses - and sparingly relube with fresh clean grease.

Thanks.....ive cleaned all areas i can get to without screwing at anything....lol

The gun was is a slip with some sort of foam lining which degraded over time and was stuck to everything....it was kept in police safekeeping/armory for 10 yrs ( ex officer...) and i know the owner and he never used it much in his time so was just thinking things may have dried out as such.....

1 hour ago, millrace said:

Thanks.....ive cleaned all areas i can get to without screwing at anything....lol

The gun was is a slip with some sort of foam lining which degraded over time and was stuck to everything....it was kept in police safekeeping/armory for 10 yrs ( ex officer...) and i know the owner and he never used it much in his time so was just thinking things may have dried out as such.....

I've had mine out of the wood a couple of times. First time I wanted to give it a clean before I first used it as like yours it sat for a while. couple of minutes with a properly fitting set of screwdrivers(or turnscrews) not really that hard to do and a rudimentary glance inside will tell you all you need to know. The only thing that was a bit of a pain was getting the trigger plate back in, its a real fine tight fit. Mine was a bit gummy inside so I cleaned it down with carb cleaner and a toothbrush, let it flash off and then oiled VERY sparingly. On the hook I use a very very light grease.

I love my yeoman to bits, looks a bit shabby, cold blued barrels and there's not a stitch of case hardening colours on it, but I just love it.