SGC renewal - Medical form cost?

ilovemyheckler

What are people paying to get the medical form now required when renewing?

I was pleased that my doctors surgery confirmed that they were happy to complete the form. Now I know why, they rang today to confirm that they charge £57.50!

I thought that this was alot but have agreed to their fee and they said they would get it back to me first week in January

I would be interested to know how much other doctors charge and how long they take

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, ilovemyheckler said:

I would be interested to know how much other doctors charge and how long they take

I was asked to pay £25 two years ago and the letter/proforma was completed in around 10 days. This was after having to change GPs as the practice I had been with for around 30 years had a policy of not responding to requests from the Police. My back up plan was a local private (Non-NHS) practice who would obtain my medical records and produce the necessary proforma after a 20 minute interview with one of their Doctors. Their charge was £85.

1 hour ago, ilovemyheckler said:

What are people paying to get the medical form now required when renewing?

I was pleased that my doctors surgery confirmed that they were happy to complete the form. Now I know why, they rang today to confirm that they charge £57.50!

I thought that this was alot but have agreed to their fee and they said they would get it back to me first week in January

is that all mine wanted £135 and thats why went with Shootcert how did it for £60

Edited by ant.mass

39 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

It appears that it is NOT required. My application for renewal has just gone through via telephone. They have my Dr's details and this is how it has run for the last 30yrs.   Did not cost me a penny.

Just a bunch of jobsworths elsewhere.

Ditto here. 

No doubt BASC are all over this, having to pay for something the Police surely have access to?(😄). They will be moving heaven and earth to ensure that the shooting community is not being shafted, once the xmas party has finished and all the MP's they give free shooting to have had their noses in the trough.

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

I paid Medcert £60. They did the job, despite my local Practice behaving like cavalier idiots.

I've gone with Medcert , after being told by 2 locum GPs the cost would be £30  the Practice manager then rang me saying it was £125 , after I  told her that I was not paying that much she came back with £85 saying that was the best she could do , so Medcert are doing it for £60!     

I had a junior e-mail discussion with the Practice Manager. Aside from educating him on data protection, I pointed out that the Practice was missing out on an income stream. Whether they agreed with shooting or not, they ended up providing the relevant information and missed the fee.

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

No doubt BASC are all over this, having to pay for something the Police surely have access to?(😄). 

The police do not have access to your GP or NHS held medical information.

They will be moving heaven and earth to ensure that the shooting community is not being shafted, once the xmas party has finished and all the MP's they give free shooting to have had their noses in the trough.

If they nationalise or standardise the price, I am pretty sure I read a figure on BASC site suggesting a £95-100 cost for a medical report to "take into account and average out the time it takes to do this", so we will as a group end up paying more.

I was "happy" at £45 for my report to say "nothing relevant" and a signature.

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

It appears that it is NOT required. My application for renewal has just gone through via telephone. They have my Dr's details and this is how it has run for the last 30yrs.   Did not cost me a penny.

Just a bunch of jobsworths elsewhere.

Ditto. As someone who has to declare, I was fully expecting a GP’s letter to be a requirement this renewal, but it hasn’t been mentioned.
No doubt it will be in time. 

11 hours ago, HantsRob said:

The police do not have access to your GP or NHS held medical information.

If they nationalise or standardise the price, I am pretty sure I read a figure on BASC site suggesting a £95-100 cost for a medical report to "take into account and average out the time it takes to do this", so we will as a group end up paying more.

I was "happy" at £45 for my report to say "nothing relevant" and a signature.

They do if you give written consent, besides most people have access to their own medical history- I can download mine and send a copy.

They do if you give written consent, besides most people have access to their own medical history- I can download mine and send a copy.

That's then given consent to an authorised third party, but that again will typically only be to what they require rather than carte blanche. Also to my knowledge there are no constables in my local firearms team, only civvies. Whilst they are on the payroll of the PCC and could be seen as Police, they are not police officers. 

Also you'd have to be careful about the governance of downloading your own records and forwarding, as that is open to tampering. Who'd consider doing that? Probably someone with something to hide!

My comment was about the Police not having medical access as standard. If you have given consent then it is still governed by rules of what is necessary and proportionate.