SGC renewal - Medical form cost?

ilovemyheckler

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

I wish my surgery was charging for it, they have had my form over 10 weeks and there is nothing I can do.

I enquired who to send the GP Form to, sent it via email and then called in 3 days later to ask for an update. 2 days later I have recieved a text and will pay and quote their reference number.

The staff did make a point that it was not regarded as NHS work or important.

I was ready to explain that it was instrumental to my personal well being as I have had weapons for 44 years but did not need to go down that line.

29 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I enquired who to send the GP Form to, sent it via email and then called in 3 days later to ask for an update. 2 days later I have recieved a text and will pay and quote their reference number.

The staff did make a point that it was not regarded as NHS work or important.

I was ready to explain that it was instrumental to my personal well being as I have had weapons for 44 years but did not need to go down that line.

I've called in once, every week, since the 4 weeks I was told it would take was up, just to be told it is with the doctor and may take upto 4 weeks, when I point out 4 weeks was weeks ago, I just get told it is with the doctor and they will relay the urgency.

I'm hoping I get it just after Christmas and before the new year otherwise, I may have to store my firearms, depending how long the Police take to process the renewal.

I wish there was a charge, because I could then have a moan up as I would be paying for a service and not receiving it, but my surgery doesn't charge for them. I may look to change surgeries after this, this is my first renewal.

It has all gone rather silly.  Back in the sixties I was a rural copper covering five parishes and I knew everyone who needed knowing if you get my gist.  Shotgun/Fairearms cert s where sent out to us to verify and approve.  We obviously called in to each applicant and made a thorough assesment on that visit and past knowledge.  It worked. It actually costed far les than having a dedicated office to do the job and allowed local coppers to further their knowledge of the area they covered. NOW that is what I call common sense but it is sadly lacking in much of the police management these days and Home Office personell. 

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

It has all gone rather silly.  Back in the sixties I was a rural copper covering five parishes and I knew everyone who needed knowing if you get my gist.  Shotgun/Fairearms cert s where sent out to us to verify and approve.  We obviously called in to each applicant and made a thorough assesment on that visit and past knowledge.  It worked. It actually costed far les than having a dedicated office to do the job and allowed local coppers to further their knowledge of the area they covered. NOW that is what I call common sense but it is sadly lacking in much of the police management these days and Home Office personell. 

If only that approach was still possible!  :cool1:

22 hours ago, Walker570 said:

For more than half of the sixties I got mine from the Post office. Then, when they brought in the white ones I never got a visit, but mind you, I was in Aden for a while

1 hour ago, Genghis said:

I paid £60 back in October. I was initially told 6-8 week wait by the receptionist but after a few phone calls to check up on the progress I got it after 3 weeks.

Cheshire Police won’t allow you to submit an SGC application without the letter, so I was somewhat impatient to receive.

Yes, Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire are the same, it all has to go via email in one lump.

On 24/12/2021 at 21:51, McSpredder said:

Or else what?

Accrording to one post on SD website, "The Home Office has told GPs that they can de-prioritise the provision of firearms licensing letters in order to concentrate on Covid 19 booster vaccinations."

Whoever or whatever SD May be they probably must also have a NGO member on board as there is a like post on here. At least the NGO are having a go.

I got my Medical information back within 24 hours when I submitted it to my GP. They wanted to charge me but as someone had not put a price on it and a standard price list didn't exist they just ended up giving it to me, I did offer to come back and pay whatever was necessary if they found out down the line.

I didn't get a call but I do know the admin supervisor and in the next team meeting apparently the manager went nuts because "someone got a shotgun medical form free". Needless to say the pricing list still isn't updated!

Doesn't matter now anyway as my application was returned to me because Hants have suspended all new grant applications. Just hoping they reopen prior to the certificated being too old now!