SGC renewal - Medical form cost?

ilovemyheckler

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Gordon R and Derbyduck above, I used Medcert who kept me fully informed throughout the process advising that they had to chase up my GP surgery a few times. I was happy to spend the £60 that they charge. Whilst I acknowledge that some gripe at any charge, for me, £60 spread over the 5 years, I can certainly justify £1 a month even on my pension if it means being able to continue my favourite sport. Principles aside, who, in all honesty, can complain at paying 25p per week !!

On 23/12/2021 at 17:24, ilovemyheckler said:

What are people paying to get the medical form now required when renewing?

I was pleased that my doctors surgery confirmed that they were happy to complete the form. Now I know why, they rang today to confirm that they charge £57.50!

I thought that this was alot but have agreed to their fee and they said they would get it back to me first week in January

I would be interested to know how much other doctors charge and how long they take

Just applied for my SGC and my doctor charged £100 !!

2 hours ago, Andrew1874 said:

Has anybody used Shotgun Medicals.com to bypass the ridiculous charges that doctors ask for ?

He is charging £60 to process a medical certificate and is quoting 3 days turn around if you can supply him with your medical records or online access to your records 

On that basis, you are obtaining the information for them just to send it off to the police. Something you could do yourself. Seems a bit of a rip off to me.

With Medcert, they obtain all the information on your behalf and send it off to the police for the same price.

OB

5 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

On that basis, you are obtaining the information for them just to send it off to the police. Something you could do yourself. Seems a bit of a rip off to me.

With Medcert, they obtain all the information on your behalf and send it off to the police for the same price.

OB

Medicert could take a lot longer than a month, as a surgery has a month to produce. Then there's the turnaround time. 

Whilst I am not endorsing the other place, if they turn around in 3 days then you just save a lot of time even if it seems money for old rope. If the books open and it's first come first served after being closed for 2 months, I know I'd rather have my request in ASAP rather than a month down the road.

It's worth noting that shotgunmedicals gives a £10 discount to BASC and CPSA members, and Medicert also state they may offer a discount with your shooting association. It'd be interesting if anyone knows of a Medicert discount via a club or association (without providing the discount code for fairness).

Edited by HantsRob

4 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

Medicert could take a lot longer than a month, as a surgery has a month to produce. Then there's the turnaround time. 

Whilst I am not endorsing the other place, if they turn around in 3 days then you just save a lot of time even if it seems money for old rope. If the books open and it's first come first served after being closed for 2 months, I know I'd rather have my request in ASAP rather than a month down the road.

It's worth noting that shotgunmedicals gives a £10 discount to BASC and CPSA members, and Medicert also state they may offer a discount with your shooting association. It'd be interesting if anyone knows of a Medicert discount via a club or association (without providing the discount code for fairness).

But surely, if the surgery has a month to produce the information, then if you get the information yourself from your surgery, it could still take that month, or have I missed something? 

I was not aware that Medcert offered a 10% discount and missed out on that ???

OB

25 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

But surely, if the surgery has a month to produce the information, then if you get the information yourself from your surgery, it could still take that month, or have I missed something? 

I was not aware that Medcert offered a 10% discount and missed out on that ???

OB

No, you can give access to your NHS app/records I believe as a delegate, so you are in essence providing access to your own records so it'll be ready in 3 days. To be fair it's quite lucrative. You don't have to get your records yourself as you're thinking!

I didn't say Medcert offered 10%. But on their homepage they say:
"Are you a member of a shooting organisation? Don’t forget your discount code at checkout."

and also
"
If you are a member of a shooting organisation you may be able to benefit from a discount that they have negotiated with us - check your membership magazine or organisation's website for details."

On 29/12/2021 at 00:28, Trevorevans said:

£45 at my surgery and took around 3 weeks. The letter from South Wales Firearms Dpt. said the pro-forma MUST be completed in order to process the renewal. On reading this thread it seems different authorities sing from different song sheets.

Forget what mine cost exactly a couple of years ago (was before the most recent changes in guidance) but surgery had a stated list of charges for this sort of thing hgv medical, private referrals, prescriptions etc but at the time SGC/FAC letters weee not on the list and it seemed they didn’t really know what they were charging for. I suspect this may changed…….

The missus has just done her sgc she had a talk with the fld manager about some medication she had 6-7 years ago and they decided they need a letter from the doc's to proceed , a couple of days later in the evening she drops off the forms to the surgery for them to fill out and pays the £25 and low and behold in the morning her new sgc drops through the letter box before they have filled and returned the required forms to the firearms dept ?? .

On 04/01/2022 at 17:53, Andy H said:

The missus has just done her sgc she had a talk with the fld manager about some medication she had 6-7 years ago and they decided they need a letter from the doc's to proceed , a couple of days later in the evening she drops off the forms to the surgery for them to fill out and pays the £25 and low and behold in the morning her new sgc drops through the letter box before they have filled and returned the required forms to the firearms dept ?? .

On 04/01/2022 at 20:21, mossy835 said:

good for her, how did that work then.

If I recall, Kent Police processed my SGC renewal on the basis that should they not receive the medical details within a certain time, it would be rescinded.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

50 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

If I recall, Kent Police processed my SGC renewal on the basis that should they not received the medical details within a certain time, it would be rescinded.

Yes your memory is working.

It used to be that if nothing received within 3 weeks they let it go through.

NOT the case nowadays though!

Just been too collect my report from the Docs £20 not bad only negative was a stress related marker in July 2008 that’s all no medication given or prescribed to me well I was going thru a divorce, my dad had been given 6months to live and I had a job I hated don’t think a one off incident should be a problem over 13years ago. 

30 minutes ago, Marka11 said:

Just been too collect my report from the Docs £20 not bad only negative was a stress related marker in July 2008 that’s all no medication given or prescribed to me well I was going thru a divorce, my dad had been given 6months to live and I had a job I hated don’t think a one off incident should be a problem over 13years ago. 

No, it shouldn’t. Did you declare it? 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

No, it shouldn’t. Did you declare it? 

I will be honest I can’t even remember it or going to the docs it may have just been a phone call or I would have put it down got admit I can’t remember every visit or phone call made to my doc 

15 minutes ago, Marka11 said:

I will be honest I can’t even remember it or going to the docs it may have just been a phone call or I would have put it down got admit I can’t remember every visit or phone call made to my doc 

Fair enough. If it’s a note your GP made without mentioning it, then you’re unlikely to know it’s there. 👍

1 minute ago, Scully said:

Fair enough. If it’s a note your GP made without mentioning it, then you’re unlikely to know it’s there. 👍

Thanks matey you are probably right it says one off on one date only over 13yrs ago nothing since no medication given scary thing is you don’t know what a doc may put about you 👍👍