SGC renewal - Medical form cost?

ilovemyheckler

On 24/12/2021 at 14:34, Newbie to this said:

I've called in once, every week, since the 4 weeks I was told it would take was up, just to be told it is with the doctor and may take upto 4 weeks, when I point out 4 weeks was weeks ago, I just get told it is with the doctor and they will relay the urgency.

I'm hoping I get it just after Christmas and before the new year otherwise, I may have to store my firearms, depending how long the Police take to process the renewal.

I wish there was a charge, because I could then have a moan up as I would be paying for a service and not receiving it, but my surgery doesn't charge for them. I may look to change surgeries after this, this is my first renewal.

Finally got my report/proforma back today, just under 13 weeks it has taken.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i phoned avon somerset police today, about my renewal they said send it  8 weeks befor, and you will get the new one befor the old runs out,so mine runs out 14th july.but for new apps.dont bother yet, and for variation,the same, they will take longer,

Edited by mossy835

• 2 years later...

Mine in Blandford is charging me £80 for the same thing. My first one cost £40. Yet I have to have a medical examination which is non NHS for the military and they are being paid nearly £40. This is absolutely wrong that the GPs can charge what they want. I don’t even need to be present for the SGC note but my examination will probably take about 30 mins and half the price. Surely the government and police should set a price on this?????

21 hours ago, Paul3949 said:

Mine in Blandford is charging me £80 for the same thing. My first one cost £40. Yet I have to have a medical examination which is non NHS for the military and they are being paid nearly £40. This is absolutely wrong that the GPs can charge what they want. I don’t even need to be present for the SGC note but my examination will probably take about 30 mins and half the price. Surely the government and police should set a price on this?????

Paul

Whilst I appreciate your distaste, it is not an NHS service and in essence you are paying for a practice's private time for a non-NHS related activity. They are able to charge what they like as it's a private service, and the government and police really have no say in this.

As per any consumer service, your feet doing the walking will be your best bet. £80 seems distasteful if you have a clean health record, but for some people it could be a decent hour or two of reading and analysing and then completing the form. That's the issue with standard pricing, you have to pay their mean or median cost based on time, and also due to practice costs.

You are welcome to go elsewhere by changing doctors, by using a third party service (there are at least 2 on the market), or by electing to not continue shooting and accepting this overhead cost.

I do agree it would be good for a standard national cost for this, but currently this doesn't fit into the remit of any body or department to press that point. Also, GPs are legally allowed to be conscientious objectors, meaning they don't have to sign your form.

https://www.gmc-uk.org/professional-standards/professional-standards-for-doctors/personal-beliefs-and-medical-practice/personal-beliefs-and-medical-practice#:~:text=In addition%2C some legislation%3A,prohibits particular treatments or procedures.

This document from a specific surgery is quite transparent around fees:

https://www.ashleymedicalcentre.co.uk/website/Z00256/files/whygpchargefees_tcm41-175120.pdf

BMA information also:

https://www.bma.org.uk/pay-and-contracts/fees

I hope this helps clarify your point, and it would be good for fees to be nationally standard. However, there is nothing standard about the medical, and from experience when you have to set a tariff it would usually err on the side of caution and mean that most people have to pay more, rather than a few paying less.

5 minutes ago, Paul3949 said:

Surely the government and police should set these fees? 

Paul,

You obviously haven`t read and fully digested HantsRob`s detailed and informative reply. 

5 hours ago, Paul3949 said:

Surely the government and police should set these fees? 

I'll change tact slightly to help.

GPs are typically self employed, working in surgeries. Whilst the NHS activities are paid for, any time spent on "private appointments" (and for the sake of clarity, checking your records and performing due diligence and then putting their medical licence and reputation on the line to sign your form) is not funded either by the surgery or the NHS.

On top of this, any such service will go through reception and back of house staff, meaning that the GP won't take that fee, but rather a percentage will go to the operation of the surgery, pay for receptionists, power and heat, pay for wastage of people not turning up to appointments and what not. The GP themself will only take a portion of the fee.

Whilst Blandford Forum is a lovely place to drive through, it is rather small and pokey. That's not to criticise this part of Dorset; after all you have one of my favourite clay ground, monkey world, and a tank museum nearby. It is to suggest a serious lack of GP surgeries and hence lack of options, and they have somewhat of a captive audience with a lot of military who probably get a subsidised service. In 2012 there were 3,900 people working in the town, 55% of whom worked full-time and 45% part-time (thanks Wiki).

Someone has to pay their bill to keep the doors open. Support local?....

Anyway, in the tl;dr stance, google is your friend.

https://www.simplymedicals.co.uk/firearms-medical/ = £69
https://www.medcert.co.uk/ = £60+VAT
https://www.shootcert.co.uk/ = £75+VAT

There are more out there, depends how much effort you want to go to in order to save a few quid.

Good luck!

Oh and if you wish to ask the government to take ownership of costs, you could speak to your PCC (Police and Crime Commissioner) to start with:

David Sidwick
01202 229084
pcc@dorset.pnn.police.uk

Or maybe your local MP:
simon.hoare.mp@parliament.uk
01258 452 585

"Fun fact" (said like Sheldon Cooper)..... Simon Hoare is pro hunting. I am not sure this helps entirely, and rather believe not at all. But, as I have been dull long enough, one last comment as I was genuinely surprised an MP being so bold with an opinion that may stop some constituents voting for him:

Simon Hoare MP 

Unsurprisingly, I have received a raft of e-mails concerning fox hunting. These e-mails have been argued with passion and commitment on both sides of the case, and please be assured that I have read each and every one. Due to Parliamentary and constituency duties I hope constituents will understand that it has not been possible to reply individually. You will doubtless be aware that the Government has decided not to debate the issue in the Commons at this time and we all await developments of interest.

I have always made it clear, and certainly right throughout the election campaign, that I am in favour of hunting. It is important to recognise that what the Government was proposing was not a repeal of the Hunting Act 2004, but an amendment to it to allow the use of more than 2 hounds to flush a fox to a gun. This is exactly what happens currently in Scotland.

You may be interested to see my question to the Leader of the House in the Commons yesterday (hansard 14th July 2015, column 747):

Simon Hoare (North Dorset) (Con): "Will my right hon. Friend undertake to discuss with colleagues on the Treasury Bench the introduction of a general animal welfare Bill in the next Session covering foxhunting, wild animals in circuses, the clipping of chickens’ beaks and other such issues? All those things could be covered in one large umbrella Bill that the House could discuss and then vote on in the proper way."

It will be interesting to see if the Government advances my proposal.

https://www.facebook.com/simonhoarenorthdorset/posts/unsurprisingly-i-have-received-a-raft-of-e-mails-concerning-fox-hunting-these-e-/1612716002339805/

(shocking result from 2015 - spoiler alert: he was 'shot down'

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2015-07-14/debates/15071433000004/BusinessOfTheHouse   )

In October I handed my proforma to my Dr the week I got the renewal letter. Less than 24hrs later it was completed and I picked it up which is fantastic service but I paid £96 for the privilege! The issue is that 4 months after I completed the online renewal with TVP they still have not issued a new one and have had to send a letter granting me 8 extra weeks continuation which must be due to a huge backlog they are going through. 

I take issue with the view that SGC forms are not part of a GP's duties. They are paid by the NHS for the number of people on their books. If you registered with a GP and never actually attended the surgery or had them call, they are being paid for nothing. The minute they are required to do something - it's extra. 

If they are served with a Subject Access Request, they have to provide the same information with no payment. It just strikes me as an easy way to make a few pounds.

11 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I take issue with the view that SGC forms are not part of a GP's duties. They are paid by the NHS for the number of people on their books. If you registered with a GP and never actually attended the surgery or had them call, they are being paid for nothing. The minute they are required to do something - it's extra. 

If they are served with a Subject Access Request, they have to provide the same information with no payment. It just strikes me as an easy way to make a few pounds.

👍🏻

If in the interests of public safety, the costs should come from the public purse.

• 2 weeks later...