Advice Required Please

Tonka54

Early in the new year (2022) I would like to purchase a good quality used but older model Miroku MK 38 sporter, grade 3 to 5 and ideally with an adjustable comb.

The reason I am looking for an older used model is that I have been lead to believe that the overall quality of workmanship, finish and engraving is better than that of the newer models. I realise that the newer models will be multi choke and proofed for HP steel shot, so my head is saying "future proof", but my heart is saying go for the quality.

The thing is, I am a clay shooter so do not really need a gun to be HP steel shot proof, Nitro proof to 930 bar or greater will meet the requirement for standard steel shot which would be more than adequate for clay with the correct choking (at present).

And there in lies the rub, at present. So would it be better to go with my head or my heart?. 

It's a £2 grand gun, give or take. It is going to potentially give you years of love and happiness.

If it's your only gun you may upgrade in the future. If it's not your only gun, I'd say buy it for its beauty rather than future proofing, if you get 10 years of fun it will have paid for itself and will still hold significant value.

It will still shoot steel and if you are moving to birds in the future, you may upgrade or get another gun.

My money is on heart on this one ❤️ 

Spend a few £ getting it fitted to you don’t bother with the adjustable stock unless your not planning on keeping it it’ll only make it harder to find one that you like in the higher grade 

the older ones are very good and good value for money 

Who knows what the future will bring for us in the cartridge line so future proof is a guesstimate 

best of luck with your choice 

I’ve never coldly calculated whether buying a particular gun is a good idea, bad investment or anything remotely like it, and always chosen a gun purely based on how I feel about it, hence the reason I have ended up with some really interesting guns over many years. 
A mate had the G5 version of exactly the gun you’re looking for, and traded it in for a Browning XS Pro. He’ll be regretting it sometime soon no doubt. 
He still owns a G3, but I can’t recall if it has an adjustable comb or not. 
Buy the older one. Not all new Brownings are proofed for steel. 

I'm not sure that the older MK38s are any better than the new ones. They are great guns and should give years of untroubled service. Buy the newest you can afford so you get one with the least use. Check the wood on the grade 5 for cracks, Browning replace quite a number under warranty. The grade 5 is a fantastic value for money gun and £2k to £2.5k will get you the best one available. New ones are about £3.3k. Choose the prettiest you can find.

Thank you  for the helpful feedback guys, some sound advice and pretty much along the lines of how I was thinking. I tried a few guns at Orston when waiting for my lessons and the MK 38 was one of them. I am of average build but the middle age spread and the solar panel on top does not seem to affect my gun fit.

I had pretty much made my mind up to go for shotgun from the "Holy trinity" and ended up choosing a Browning B725 S1 sporter adjustable for my first gun, that left just enough in the budget for a rough/rain gun which is a SKB 500 sporter, but it was a tough call between the 725 and the MK 38, both were just a tad low in the comb but otherwise fit very well, what swung it at the time was the adjustable stock on the 725.

I absolutely love the 725, now that I have shot with it a few times, on the other hand I loved the MK38 as well, so, often wondering If I made the right choice, and now that I have finally Retired, the wife and treasurer has graciously announced that I may have a little something from my lump sum and an MK 38 will fit the bill thankyou.  

My advice to you is to shoot the 725 for 6 months or more in that time hopefully your gun mount and stance will develop into a consistent position and as the 725 is adjustable it can be tweaked to suit you (don't fiddle unnecessary!) then you will be able to know what gun fits best 

2 hours ago, vmaxphil said:

My advice to you is to shoot the 725 for 6 months or more then you will be able to know what gun fits best 

My experience is that, even after forty years or more, about 95% of shooters still have little or no idea about whether a gun fits or not. 
Go to a proper gun fitter, it s money well spent.

3 hours ago, London Best said:

My experience is that, even after forty years or more, about 95% of shooters still have little or no idea about whether a gun fits or not. 
Go to a proper gun fitter, it s money well spent.

Yes sir, best way to go I think, I purchased both my current guns from Orston S/S, As I was a complete beginner I had no idea so I thought it best to buy from an rfd, at least if any defects in the guns became apparent they were covered by a little bit of warrantee. Another plus point was the fact that they checked for a close fit in the gun shop, and then at my lessons the tutor set the adjustable comb.

My gun mount is about 80% at present, I am putting this down to a good initial mount before calling the pair but occasionally losing the mount slightly between clays.

So yes, If anybody can suggest a good gun fitter in the East Midland area that would be great, then at least I should be able to take gun fit out of the equation.😀   

@Tonka54 it’s likely that what I’m about to say will possibly attract some disagreement but,  you won’t go far wrong going to see Ben husthwhaite at kibworth Gun club re gun fitting. I’m talking from personal experience having had my gun fitted to me as a rank beginner. It changed my shooting dramatically. I believe he charges around £70 - 80 for an hour lesson, which if memory serves me correctly includes a gun fitting. Well worth contacting him and having a discussion on what it is you require. 

im sure there will be other members in your locality that will also be able to recommend alternatives 👍🏻

17 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

@Tonka54 it’s likely that what I’m about to say will possibly attract some disagreement but,  you won’t go far wrong going to see Ben husthwhaite at kibworth Gun club re gun fitting. I’m talking from personal experience having had my gun fitted to me as a rank beginner. It changed my shooting dramatically. I believe he charges around £70 - 80 for an hour lesson, which if memory serves me correctly includes a gun fitting. Well worth contacting him and having a discussion on what it is you require. 

im sure there will be other members in your locality that will also be able to recommend alternatives 👍🏻

@Spr1985 Thank you so much for this info, Before I retired, I worked for the Clay Pidgeon Co Ltd delivering clays to gun clubs and the like nationally.

I often delivered to Kibworth and have bumped into Ben Husthwhaite a few times there, Seeing and listening to odd snippets of conversation between him and his regular students, who all looked to be really accomplished shooters, I never dreamed of approaching Ben thinking he would not really relish taking on a beginner.

I will give kibworth a ring after Christmas and see if I can book something up. Cheers :thanks:

34 minutes ago, Tonka54 said:

@Spr1985 Thank you so much for this info, Before I retired, I worked for the Clay Pidgeon Co Ltd delivering clays to gun clubs and the like nationally.

I often delivered to Kibworth and have bumped into Ben Husthwhaite a few times there, Seeing and listening to odd snippets of conversation between him and his regular students, who all looked to be really accomplished shooters, I never dreamed of approaching Ben thinking he would not really relish taking on a beginner.

I will give kibworth a ring after Christmas and see if I can book something up. Cheers :thanks:

👍🏻 Not a problem, I hope it turns out to be useful info. He’s a decent guy and helped me when I needed it.