Pickup or van

Dave at kelton

Looking for advice/opinions. I currently run an L200, 2013 plate, 138,000 on the clock and new engine by Mitsubishi as a recall at 106,000. I really have no need for a big 4x4 any longer and have the wife’s Jimny as a standby. I am therefore thinking of/ debating changing over to a small van like a VW Caddy or Peugeot Partner. It is predominately for transporting the dogs around when off picking up, training etc. I use estate vehicles when working so the vehicle will not be going off road. My thoughts are the van will be far more economical to run and will take my dog box and associated training kit when fitted out. Will be bought second hand.

Thoughts please?

Thanks

So realistically you have a truck that’s done 

32.000 miles and you know what it’s like and how it copes with the extreme’s of weather that you experience in your area 

you ar considering changing it for a secondhand van that’s probably done more miles and maybe it’ll get you to the shoot on a bad weather day 

unless you’re having problems with the truck I wouldn’t bother changing 

just my thoughts 

The vw caddy’s are in my opinion excellent vans, I drove one for a few years attached to employment, comfortable, decent on fuel (believe it was a 1.9/2l tdi) I can’t comment on ongoing maintenance costs etc as it was dealt with by the company. They’re also highly thought of in the fishing world….loads of anglers use them for carting kit around. They also do a maxi version…slightly longer for a bigger load space. 

I run a 2006 Berlingo         no turbo to go wrong   will go round a roundabout 15 mph 5th gear

been off road where 4x4s have been stuck   its the carry on from the 2CV the French farmers vehicle

polished underneath running through grass 50 mpg if driven sensibly  shares parts with the Partner

hope this helps

Unless you can find a proper Mini pickup

33 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

32.000 miles and you know what it’s like and how it copes with the extreme’s of weather that you experience in your area 

you ar considering changing it for a secondhand van that’s probably done more miles and maybe it’ll get you to the shoot on a bad weather day 

just my thoughts 

Thanks. Would probably be looking at a van with 70-80k on it. Yep a risk but bought the truck three years ago at 116k due to the new engine.

I had a little Berlingo Van and a Caddy and reckon they are brilliant for what you want as long as you don’t need to do any off reading etc. 

My X-trail is good for driving the wet fields and lanes around the farm otherwise I’d rather a small van as it would be a lot more economical. 

1 hour ago, Ratlegs said:

I run a 2006 Berlingo         no turbo to go wrong   will go round a roundabout 15 mph 5th gear

been off road where 4x4s have been stuck   its the carry on from the 2CV the French farmers vehicle

polished underneath running through grass 50 mpg if driven sensibly  shares parts with the Partner

hope this helps

Unless you can find a proper Mini pickup

Those non turbo engines go on forever, the hdi lumps have got a lot more grunt though! 
Wouldn’t say they’ll go where 4x4’s get stuck though, at least not in my experience 😂

The smaller vans like the caddy’s etc are so practical if you don’t need the off road capability and as already mentioned much cheaper to run! 
Personally I’d go for a Transit Connect if I couldn’t afford a vw Caddy 👍🏼

What's your budget Dave?  And what would you get for the truck if you sold it?  Second hand prices are a bit silly at the moment, you might be better keeping the truck for now and sitting it out a while.

I completely agree with your logic though, if you don't need the off road capabilities why not get something with a better load area, you can deck it out exactly how you need it.  Also you're heating the dogs' area with a van that has no bulkhead which is a nice bonus if they're cold and wet on the way home.

3 hours ago, Old farrier said:

just my thoughts 

The engine’s done 32,000 the axles, transmission, steering, body and electrics etc. have probably all done 138,000.

I’m asking myself the same question, but for different reasons. I’m looking at doing general garden maintenance and labouring now that I’ve gone part time with my job. I’d love a pick up, but the back just isn’t big enough for mowers, and I don’t want to be lifting them that high anyway. I looked at medium size vans which seem to fit the bill better, but feel I’ll miss some of the rugged off road capabilities. What I’ve seen recently is vw transporters that have had a suspension lift and off road tyres put on. They really look the part and think it’ll tick most of the boxes for me. Since I’ve been looking at vans, most forums seem to be full of people that have swapped from a pick up to a van, and very few say they’ll go back to a pickup. 

2 hours ago, Medic1281 said:

I’m asking myself the same question, but for different reasons. I’m looking at doing general garden maintenance and labouring now that I’ve gone part time with my job. I’d love a pick up, but the back just isn’t big enough for mowers, and I don’t want to be lifting them that high anyway. I looked at medium size vans which seem to fit the bill better, but feel I’ll miss some of the rugged off road capabilities. What I’ve seen recently is vw transporters that have had a suspension lift and off road tyres put on. They really look the part and think it’ll tick most of the boxes for me. Since I’ve been looking at vans, most forums seem to be full of people that have swapped from a pick up to a van, and very few say they’ll go back to a pickup. 

One of the boys in the village is a Gardner and has done just that. Had a couple of pickups and now gone to medium sized van.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you'll see a lot of people going away from pick ups soon. The new models drove a lot more "car like" so people that wouldnt usually consider it bought them, plus with favourable lease deals. I had an auto caddy in the past and it was honestly the nicest, easiest thing to drive. Great economically and had tones of useful little cubby holes and store spaces.

I have an l200 now and probably wouldn't if I wasnt farming.

19 minutes ago, DannyS said:

I think you'll see a lot of people going away from pick ups soon. The new models drove a lot more "car like" so people that wouldnt usually consider it bought them, plus with favourable lease deals. I had an auto caddy in the past and it was honestly the nicest, easiest thing to drive. Great economically and had tones of useful little cubby holes and store spaces.

I have an l200 now and probably wouldn't if I wasnt farming.

Thanks, a pal has just traded his 4x4 for a little Citroen van to get 60 mpg. As he described it he just needs a mobile kennel to get between home and where he picks up. I am pretty much settled on a van now just which one. Caddy looks great but a lot more expensive than Peugeot or Citroen.

I have heard that the tax man is no longer going to allow the tax breaks on trucks counting as a company vehicle if they have the 4 door version. 

They will only class the 2 door version as company vehicles and the 4 door with back cabs will be a lot more tax. 

They reckon be a lot of 4 doors available in the near future. 

42 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I have heard that the tax man is no longer going to allow the tax breaks on trucks counting as a company vehicle if they have the 4 door version. 

They will only class the 2 door version as company vehicles and the 4 door with back cabs will be a lot more tax. 

They reckon be a lot of 4 doors available in the near future. 

What tax breaks are those? BIK is based on emissions and P11D value, based on both pick ups don't score too well! While I like my L200 I won't be sad to see it go this year! Neither will my wallet!

Had a 1.9tdi caddy from new for 14 years. (2006/2020) Still sold it for fair  price early  last year. Over 400k kilometers. Never gave me any trouble,  except flywheel at 220k and turbo at 340k. Usual service, timing belt, bits in Bob's, but nothing major. Very comfortable, reliable ,economical vehicle.. have heard mixed reviews on the newer 1.6tdi models. VW are bit more expensive,  but worth the money in my opinion. I could have bought a partner or berlingo at the time I bought caddy for a lot less money but i they weren't near as good a van, and don't think they would have put up with same abuse. Not  knocking berlingo or partner  they are good work horses, but not up there with  VW.

19 hours ago, button said:

What tax breaks are those? BIK is based on emissions and P11D value, based on both pick ups don't score too well! While I like my L200 I won't be sad to see it go this year! Neither will my wallet!

The one that classes them the same as a van.  Mine costs me £60 a month or there abouts and that’s far cheaper than most cars…..

as for being a Gardner with one if you have the space just buy an ifor Williams trailer with ramp and cage sides and you are good to go.  

18 hours ago, Medic1281 said:

Just to hijack the thread, does anyone know of any decent medium sized vans for sale at a reasonable price! Transit custom kind of size? The s/h market has gone mental!!

Medic

Have a look at my families web site

not got many on at the moment because of supply issues but have a few connects 

www.thevanyard.net

Mods hope this is ok to reply to above

if not apologies 

22 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Thanks, a pal has just traded his 4x4 for a little Citroen van to get 60 mpg. As he described it he just needs a mobile kennel to get between home and where he picks up. I am pretty much settled on a van now just which one. Caddy looks great but a lot more expensive than Peugeot or Citroen.

Forgot to mention - the Caddy's auto box is known for having issue so if you do go down that route, I'd go for a manual. Im tempted by a little ford fiesta van when the S/H market settles down - 67mpg urban isnt to be sniffed at!

22 hours ago, button said:

The company car tax benefits, if you have a company car your tax code is adjusted so you lose money, however if you have a works van / company van it is not as it is classed as a commercial vehicle. 

That will be changing and only trucks with 2 seats (similaer to vans) will be classed as works vehicles, and trucks with the back cab will be charged similar to someone having a company car. 

That is what I have been told anyways. 

13 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

The company car tax benefits, if you have a company car your tax code is adjusted so you lose money, however if you have a works van / company van it is not as it is classed as a commercial vehicle. 

That will be changing and only trucks with 2 seats (similaer to vans) will be classed as works vehicles, and trucks with the back cab will be charged similar to someone having a company car. 

That is what I have been told anyways. 

Interesting - that will be the market flooded pick-ups soon then lol. 

20 hours ago, jall25 said:

Medic

Have a look at my families web site

not got many on at the moment because of supply issues but have a few connects 

www.thevanyard.net

Mods hope this is ok to reply to above

if not apologies 

Thank you! That’s really helpful. If anyone wants to support my Facebook page, feel free to look up “The Mowing Medic”. It’s all in its infancy yet though.