Pickup or van

Dave at kelton

On 05/01/2022 at 20:44, Lloyd90 said:

The company car tax benefits, if you have a company car your tax code is adjusted so you lose money, however if you have a works van / company van it is not as it is classed as a commercial vehicle. 

That will be changing and only trucks with 2 seats (similaer to vans) will be classed as works vehicles, and trucks with the back cab will be charged similar to someone having a company car. 

That is what I have been told anyways. 

Does that apply to businesses / self employed owning double cabs for business use, or company car use for employees? 
Not heard anything of that sort myself and run one as part of the fleet for the obvious benefits of killing two birds with one stone…..new pick-up sales would tumble overnight if that was the case! 

On 06/01/2022 at 22:50, Wilts#Dave said:

Does that apply to businesses / self employed owning double cabs for business use, or company car use for employees? 
Not heard anything of that sort myself and run one as part of the fleet for the obvious benefits of killing two birds with one stone…..new pick-up sales would tumble overnight if that was the case! 

https://businessmotoring.co.uk/double-cab-pick-up-tax-hit-company-car-drivers/

This article is from 2017 around about the time when the court ruled in favour of HMRC against Coca Cola for the use of VW Kombi classed as vans for tax purposes rather than cars; he laws hasn't changed any further so I don't think there is anything to fear in the immediate future.

I think Coca Cola have been arguing this ever since and did hear/read somewhere, early last year, that Coca Cola were going to challenge this ruling again. In my mind if they win this would further strengthen the use of Pickups due to the associated tax reliefs. and even if they win I cant then see HMRC having the stomach for changing the status of the Pickup and all the possible cases that might bring about.

I personally think your safe for the immediate future anyway.

K

1 hour ago, KronKron said:

This article is from 2017 around about the time when the court ruled in favour of HMRC against Coca Cola for the use of VW Kombi classed as vans for tax purposes rather than cars; he laws hasn't changed any further so I don't think there is anything to fear in the immediate future.

I think Coca Cola have been arguing this ever since and did hear/read somewhere, early last year, that Coca Cola were going to challenge this ruling again. In my mind if they win this would further strengthen the use of Pickups due to the associated tax reliefs. and even if they win I cant then see HMRC having the stomach for changing the status of the Pickup and all the possible cases that might bring about.

I personally think your safe for the immediate future anyway.

K

Ye that was just the result of a quick Google, the lads down the shoot were on about it the other day, not I’m not sure if there is a recent update… 

• 4 weeks later...