Longthorne and TGS

Scully

I like Jonny and his channel, has passion for our sport/game and being younger that's a good thing, as for the longthorne it is beautiful even though i'm no fan of sideplate ou's, but with that money available i'm probably getting a grade 5 miroku and few years of cartridges, i don't really understand their sales tactic based around barrels that can withstand a nuclear blast, it's overengineering at it's best, guess it's a sales tactics to be able to say my barrels can pry open a bank vault

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great video but surely buy a EELL, Guerini or a high end Miroku or Browning and get it fitted and you end up with a fitted top quality gun at 20% of the price.  I bought an Invictus 11 with an adjustable stock and have been able to set it up a treat, they are superb.   As an aside I like his videos.

Edited by Weihrauch17

2 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Very nice but I can't see wht they are 5 times the price of an EELL for example.

Because a EELL is basically a tarted up Silver Pigeon, although very nicely done and I actually like them.

And a Longthorne, although largely machine made, is fully bespoke and hand finished on a bench in England, although not to my taste.

28 minutes ago, London Best said:

Because a EELL is basically a tarted up Silver Pigeon, although very nicely done and I actually like them.

And a Longthorne, although largely machine made, is fully bespoke and hand finished on a bench in England, although not to my taste.

Do they do a side by side I wonder 

I know boxall and Edmundson did 

1 minute ago, Old farrier said:

Do they do a side by side I wonder 

I know boxall and Edmundson did 

I think I read somewhere that they had a SxS under development.

As you may have seen in one of my other posts, I know someone who ordered a Longthorne but was very disappointed with it and returned it for a full refund. Mind you, he already had a new pair of Purdey 12’s, a new pair of Purdey 20’s and a Bosis 28, so perhaps the Longthorne was not up to his standards.

Just coming back to my point about the barrels where it was said someone in the proof house said they weren't as good as they make out. I wasn't talking about what kind of bang they would stand up to, my point and I think longthorns point is, these are a set of barrels you won't have to get a rib re-laid because water has gotten in behind it. 

Regardless I think they have to be applauded as they really are trying to innovate. Arent they doing something with titanium barrels as well?

17 hours ago, Rob85 said:Just coming back to my point about the barrels where it was said someone in the proof house said they weren't as good as they make out. I wasn't talking about what kind of bang they would stand up to, my point and I think longthorns point is, these are a set of barrels you won't have to get a rib re-laid because water has gotten in behind it. Regardless I think they have to be applauded as they really are trying to innovate. Arent they doing something with titanium barrels as well?

Edited by reindeer

1 minute ago, reindeer said:

I see more benefits to this barrel technology. Anything made out of one solid piece of material is bound to be structurally stronger than when two pieces are joined together with a bonding material. The only other gunmaker I know of who does not braze or solder tubes together to produce  a shotgun barrel is Ivo Fabbri. He joins his tubes by Tig welding an I-beam shaped mid rib between them. So they also become one solid piece of steel. Fabbri is regarded to be one of the, if not the world’s most technically advanced gunmaker at present so I guess he knows what he is doing.  He once proved how strong his barrels are by firing a 12 bore barrel with a 20 bore shell lodged into it without any damage to the barrel. The shell gave way instead of the barrel. This of course has as much to do with his choice of barrel steel than with the way he joins his tubes.
The only possible disadvantage that I can think of in the Longthorne barrel production method is that the tubes cannot be regulated because they are not joined. Without doubt Longthorne has mastered this when setting up their drilling and milling processes.

His recent video pushed the Hull compX 21g, and was pushing the angle of ‘you don’t need 28g, and 21g is perfect’ and it felt too sales pitchy rather than potentially his genuine opinion. 
I know they’re never honest about negatives of guns and I know he’s getting sponsored in cartridges, I’m just surprised he was pressing down the 21g is great route. 
Im not sure of the Hull angle if there is one to press down the 21g route for promotion, maybe a higher profit margin? Or maybe Johnny’s genuine opinion is 21g is better than 28g on clays. 

1 hour ago, HantsRob said:

His recent video pushed the Hull compX 21g, and was pushing the angle of ‘you don’t need 28g, and 21g is perfect’ and it felt too sales pitchy rather than potentially his genuine opinion. 
I know they’re never honest about negatives of guns and I know he’s getting sponsored in cartridges, I’m just surprised he was pressing down the 21g is great route. 
Im not sure of the Hull angle if there is one to press down the 21g route for promotion, maybe a higher profit margin? Or maybe Johnny’s genuine opinion is 21g is better than 28g on clays. 

21 grams is good if your good enough but you will always be wondering would you have done better with another 7 grams of shot 

it’s just another variable 

2 hours ago, HantsRob said:

I shot tons (literally) of CompX 28 and 21's -it was my primary cart for years- and yes they will break anything, I did straight a FITASC parcour a few times with my hammer gun and 21g fiber, with some 60+ yarders clays.
But, yes, you always wonder if the extra pellets would have broken that missed one, especially on side-on clays. But, they are very light on the shoulder, on the gun, and they are cheap.
I eventually switched away from them, first to Fiocci Blues, then to Eley Select. Bit more punch, but much, MUCH better patterns (ie, ratio of "dust clouds" per broken clay).

The last batch of compx I recently bought was pretty horrible in terms on QA, some carts were 'bulgy' and you had to push them down the barrel, they were also very 'boomy' and dirty. Not sure if they changed the production somewhere, but I had bought 1000 and returned 500 when I manage to get some (frankly better all around) Eley Select.

2 hours ago, HantsRob said:

I experimented with 21 gram clay cart’s when they first came on the scene - pattern tests and sporting clays etc. In summary they were pants. OK for close stuff inside 25 yards. They were therefore fine for skeet. I found that more distant targets needed much tighter chokes than usual, therefore reducing pattern width and hitting potential. 

I don’t necessarily think that the TGS chap is sponsored by Hull. The strategy of these You Tube channels is to maintain ‘noise level’ and interest to maximise exposure. In other words they’ll talk about any old product. Unfortunately, the TGS chap, like so many You tubers, has tonnes of enthusiasm and virtually zero presentation skills. If someone took him by the scruff and taught him some basics, he might be half descent. 

Sorry buze - I didn’t mean to appear contradictory. Think our posts just crossed there. Like you I shot the 21s for a while (comp x too), but left them behind. 

3 minutes ago, Fellside said:

I experimented with 21 gram clay cart’s when they first came on the scene - pattern tests and sporting clays etc. In summary they were pants. OK for close stuff inside 25 yards. They were therefore fine for skeet. I found that more distant targets needed much tighter chokes than usual, therefore reducing pattern width and hitting potential. 

I don’t necessarily think that the TGS chap is sponsored by Hull. The strategy of these You Tube channels is to maintain ‘noise level’ and interest to maximise exposure. In other words they’ll talk about any old product. Unfortunately, the TGS chap, like so many You tubers, has tonnes of enthusiasm and virtually zero presentation skills. If someone took him by the scruff and taught him some basics, he might be half descent. 

10 seconds in, Hull is literally on the screen. His shooting buddy is wearing a hull vest, 14 seconds in they show the box, then again discuss this specific cart (that they've shot most of this year), and 1:44 in they show the pretty Hull box again. Then discuss the cart at 4:10.

If he's not sponsored or heavily discounted I'd be surprised. I am guessing he was sponsored for 2021, will be interesting to see if he changes this year.

5 minutes ago, buze said:

The last batch of compx I recently bought was pretty horrible in terms on QA, some carts were 'bulgy' and you had to push them down the barrel, they were also very 'boomy' and dirty. Not sure if they changed the production somewhere, but I had bought 1000 and returned 500 when I manage to get some (frankly better all around) Eley Select.

One of my local grounds only let you shoot what they sell, so I have a load of CompX. They're not an FBlu, but they shoot fair but are a bit thumpy and dirty compared to some other similarly priced. 

I'm trying some Lyalvale English Sporters tomorrow. Fingers crossed on those red bad boys.

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

21 grams is good if your good enough but you will always be wondering would you have done better with another 7 grams of shot 

it’s just another variable 

As a new shooter, I'll take any advantage! I am just surprised he's advised 21g. BUT then I just re-watched and the site has a 21g limit, which is where I mis-interpreted first time! But he does say nothing wrong with them, which if you're on the target he's right. I am guessing 21g is quieter than 28g?

45 minutes ago, buze said:

I shot tons (literally) of CompX 28 and 21's -it was my primary cart for years- and yes they will break anything, I did straight a FITASC parcour a few times with my hammer gun and 21g fiber, with some 60+ yarders clays.
But, yes, you always wonder if the extra pellets would have broken that missed one, especially on side-on clays. But, they are very light on the shoulder, on the gun, and they are cheap.
I eventually switched away from them, first to Fiocci Blues, then to Eley Select. Bit more punch, but much, MUCH better patterns (ie, ratio of "dust clouds" per broken clay).

I’ve never tried the Hull Compx, but having tried the Eley Select I don’t feel the need. Great cartridge in my opinion, and their Pigeon Select is superb. 

1 hour ago, HantsRob said:

10 seconds in, Hull is literally on the screen. His shooting buddy is wearing a hull vest, 14 seconds in they show the box, then again discuss this specific cart (that they've shot most of this year), and 1:44 in they show the pretty Hull box again. Then discuss the cart at 4:10.

If he's not sponsored or heavily discounted I'd be surprised. I am guessing he was sponsored for 2021, will be interesting to see if he changes this year.

One of my local grounds only let you shoot what they sell, so I have a load of CompX. They're not an FBlu, but they shoot fair but are a bit thumpy and dirty compared to some other similarly priced. 

I'm trying some Lyalvale English Sporters tomorrow. Fingers crossed on those red bad boys.

As a new shooter, I'll take any advantage! I am just surprised he's advised 21g. BUT then I just re-watched and the site has a 21g limit, which is where I mis-interpreted first time! But he does say nothing wrong with them, which if you're on the target he's right. I am guessing 21g is quieter than 28g?

Perhaps you’re right HantsRob. They may be getting some sort of Hull deal for their promo….?They made some noise about a brand of ear plugs as well. Can’t imagine Hull sponsorship though - as that’s a major commitment from any cartridge company. I shrink from calling him an ‘influencer’ by the way, as he only ever influences me to reach for the off command. 

On 31/12/2021 at 14:55, London Best said:

What's fully bespoke, are they hand finishing because their machining isn't up to scratch.  A choice of a few machine engravings and wood and the stock fitted, certainly not 5 times the cost of an EELL or similar.  Would you spend 25k on one, I certainly woudn't.  I worked for a top end engineering company for 31 years and modern 5 axis machines are superb, hence why the likes of Beretta can make a gun that will last a lifetime for £1800.  Lets face it people would pay 25k for snob value not function.

Edited by Weihrauch17

8 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

What's fully bespoke, are they hand finishing because their machining isn't up to scratch.  A choice of a few machine engravings and wood and the stock fitted, certainly not 5 times the cost of an EELL or similar.  Would you spend 25k on one, I certainly woudn't.  I worked for a top end engineering company for 31 years and modern 5 axis machines are superb, hence why the likes of Beretta can make a gun that will last a lifetime for £1800.  Lets face it people would pay 25k for snob value not function.

Fully bespoke means you can have exactly what you want.

Beretta production lines make a gun which lasts a lifetime for £150. This is £1800 by the time it is sold retail in U.K.

No, I would not pay £25k for a Longthorne as they are not to my taste. 
If I were to spend £25k it would be on a secondhand British made SxS side lock or round action. 

I worked in precision engineering all my life.

• 1 month later...
On 31/12/2021 at 15:32, London Best said:

I think I read somewhere that they had a SxS under development.

As you may have seen in one of my other posts, I know someone who ordered a Longthorne but was very disappointed with it and returned it for a full refund. Mind you, he already had a new pair of Purdey 12’s, a new pair of Purdey 20’s and a Bosis 28, so perhaps the Longthorne was not up to his standards.

I purchased a pair of guns and have had similar issues. Four faults in the first year and four return journeys and then just after the first year the for end developed a gap on both sides of the barrels and rattles when the gun is shot. Longthorne's warranty states that wood is not covered under the warranty so they will charge to fix it. Truly shocking customer service and attitude on what are not cheap guns