Boxing Day Plans ?

marsh man

Up until a few years ago my number one day of the shooting season was the first day of September , then I lost the urge to get up early and try to shoot a few duck in warm Summer like conditions on the 1st , now my 2nd choice have now became my 1st and that is Boxing Day , throughout my single and married life I have always had the day to myself and I can remember many a day where I have left mine in the dark and came back in the dark after spending all day after duck and pigeons , for many years we had o s r on the marsh and like this year if it fell on a Sunday we could have a day on the Pigeons , now a days we have still got o s r on the uplands but not so much on the marshes .

So this year on the Sunday I will spend a bit of time riding about and looking at the different fields I have got access to in the morning, and in the afternoon I will give it a hour or so standing on the outside of the wood down the marsh and have a shot or two at the Pigeons coming back to roost, and hopefully give my dog a retrieve . then the main day this year will be on a Monday , this will consist of walking all the rough bits down the marsh carr's where I can go and finish with a flight down the marsh for a shot at the duck , that's the plan at the moment but due to the weather and getting the odd invite things can change at the last moment and that is why I enjoy the freedom of Boxing Day .

All the best , and what are your sporting plans ?    MM

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Morning MM

Probably not shooting on the 26th, but will get out on the 27th with some RED cartridges.

Next day on the WPs may well be 28th or 29th of December.

The 27th is for game I take it , it must be if you are using the well sought after Reds :lol: , have a good one and hopefully a nice lot of sport . 

8 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Not sporting - working.😐

In your neck of the woods your sport might soon be put on hold anyway , so have a good day and I hope you are well paid for your commitment :good:

40 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I have to wait until the 28th for another crack at the game birds, Biggin Grange, Derbyshire. BUT  as always between now and then will be whacking and stacking as many tree rats as I can as we need to make the 4000 mark on this forum.

Not forgetting the 5th of January!   :cool1:

Good of some of you are keeping the wheels of industry moving and carrying on working regardless , and hats off to Dave at Kelton who started off by being with his good lady on her birthday and maintained the devotion right up to the present time , and quite rightly so :good:

This year will be one of those strange Boxing days that only happen every seven years , in our county we can't shoot wildfowl on a Sunday so I will be out but it will only be a shot or two after Pigeons , I say only but if I manage to get a few it will add to many years where my game bag is heavier at the end of the day than it was at the beginning .

Just back from taking my dog out and the temp in the motor was only four degrees and it felt cold enough for snow , bring it on I say .

How your day is going well .     MM

2 hours ago, mossy835 said:

for years i all ways went out boxing day, but now just dont bother, not done it for years,one time we used to go ferreting.must be getting old.

I have been out three times today and it still felt I have been confined to barracks , somehow I don't think I was put on this earth to stay in , me and my wife took the dog out for an hour this afternoon as we don't have our Xmas dinner till most peoples tea time and it was that cold I wasn't sorry to get back home , so you might well be right by staying at home and the day might come where I join you , but not at the moment glad to say:lol:

1 hour ago, serrac said:

Off to the Next sale with the other half in 15 minutes - beat that 🤐

Sitting looking after my invalid mother who should be in a home really frozen stiff because she says 17C is plenty hot enough.

Next sale sounds quite fun in comparison tbh.

4 hours ago, serrac said:

Off to the Next sale with the other half in 15 minutes - beat that 🤐

Tell yer what ,I would find having a walk around the local grave yard in the rain more interesting :xmas: , On a Boxing Day , or any other come to that , I would have to be paid good money to go to the sale at Next , even then I would find an excuse not to go :lol:

Have a good day , you deserve it.

2 hours ago, 39TDS said:

Sitting looking after my invalid mother who should be in a home really frozen stiff because she says 17C is plenty hot enough.

Next sale sounds quite fun in comparison tbh.

Hmm yes, have to agree that's a tough one.
Best wishes to you and your mum.

5 minutes ago, JDog said:

You have gone down in my estimation.

That's good to know.
Didn't think there was scope for me to go down in anyone's estimation around here 😀

3 minutes ago, serrac said:

Hmm yes, have to agree that's a tough one.
Best wishes to you and your mum.

That's good to know.
Didn't think there was scope for me to go down in anyone's estimation around here 😀

Not true. I have been quite a supporter of some of your views.

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

Tackling with family an enormous 35 day rib of beef ..............empty champagne bottles everywhere..i might survive

We had sliced beef and our Champagne was a Apple sparkling soft drink , tell yer boi , still a fair ole gap between those who nearly made it and the ones that did :lol:

Is it worth the postage sending a doggie bag to Needham ?:xmas: