Semi Auto

Accuspell

Due to my crash a few years ago I have had to give up my side by side. My whole chest was crushed and my right shoulder and arm can't take the recoil and I struggle ot lift it now for any length of time. I am OK for 2 or 3 shots, but it then really hurts still, so my shooting has been very limited and I have hardly used the shotgun as a result. When the light returns I will photograph it and put it up for sale, but it is wet and miserable and grey and dull outside so that will have to wait.  I have bought a semiauto, single barrel 12g. It is a Beretta of some sort, hardly used, from a friend who prefers his up and under. I can't fetch it yet because my shotgun certificate is still going through the mill - 3 months late already and I am still under the extension letters they send out, so I can't add it to my certificate until that is done. However, in preparation for when I can get it, and hopefully in time for the spring drillings, it has multi chokes. Just out of interest, in a modern gun like this, what kind of chokes would people recommend for general shooting?  I tend to use pretty standard cartridges, 2 1/2" 1oz 1/8th 6s or 1 ounce 7.5s for woodcock flighting. My old English gun (Midland action, Thomas Hawkes) was bored and regulated imp and 1/4 by Tony White, which suits most situations.

I have never used an auto before, but I have been assured by several people that the auto will be kinder on me as most of the recoil is taken up cycling the next cartridge. Does this reduce the power of the pellets? Will I have to use bigger cartridges to compensate for the recoil system? And consequently have to use tighter chokes to compensate for the bigger pellets, or does everything just work the same?

Any help to get back into shotgun gratefully received.

There is no difference in velocity of cartridges through a auto. Beretta are mostly worked by using the gas pressure from firing the cartridges and are the lowest recoiling semi autos. Recoil operated one have a bit more recoils. Your normal cartridges will work fine and you should soon get used to the feeling of movement you get with any auto. Just enjoy it

I have a 12 and a 20  semi autos both gas operated  

And the 20 is a pussy cat  compared to the 12 .

I use 24 and 28 grm loads in the 20 and 29 and  32 in the  12b .

I find the 24 grm loads in the 20 kill just fine and are really soft but cycle the gun great . and haven't really struggled out to 45 yds for good kills. 

24 grn no 7.5 

Maybe you could use a light load in your new 12 b auto  use 1/2 choke should be just fine .

If you know how to put up pictures ( or read the model number off the gun ) when you ecmventualky get it, someone will identify the model and advise which chokes will fit if you want. 
I must admit I’m a big fan of 3/8ths and have it fitted to my auto, as well as an OU. I intend to order one for another OU I own also in the New Year. Personally I think it’s the best all round choke out there, fully aware that it’s a mind thing of course. 

You may have already looked into this - but Musto make a really good recoil pad (d30???) that locks together when the gun recoils. Some rarther sharp steel 32g '4's through my 26" AyA no2 register about the same as a soft 30g '6' lead cartridge.

If you like your SxS, it might be worth a look for the price of a few boxes of cartridges.

2 hours ago, Scully said:

If you know how to put up pictures ( or read the model number off the gun ) when you ecmventualky get it, someone will identify the model and advise which chokes will fit if you want. 
I must admit I’m a big fan of 3/8ths and have it fitted to my auto, as well as an OU. I intend to order one for another OU I own also in the New Year. Personally I think it’s the best all round choke out there, fully aware that it’s a mind thing of course. 

What do you mean by a mind thing - pure psychology and it actually doesn't matter?  For me 40 yards is out of range! YES, the gun is capable fo shotting further, but I am totally incapable fo hitting a barn if I was locked inside it.

1 hour ago, PeterHenry said:

You may have already looked into this - but Musto make a really good recoil pad (d30???) that locks together when the gun recoils. Some rarther sharp steel 32g '4's through my 26" AyA no2 register about the same as a soft 30g '6' lead cartridge.

If you like your SxS, it might be worth a look for the price of a few boxes of cartridges.

Great thought, but my injury means I struggle to lift it. I don't have the fluid movement of my arms anymore. Casting a 6wt takes its toll now. I can, but I feel it. the 8s and 10s really hurt, so I just have to grin and bear it for a few days afterwards!

Edited by Accuspell

2 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Forget about the gun's behaviour shooting lead loads.  You need to look into the not-so-distant future and consider the recoil from the heavier steel loads which will very soon be replacing lead.

Should still hopefully be ok with your Beretta though 😐

I have invested.... heavily. 😉  I have enough lead to last me my lifetime. Something tells me I won't be the only one.

Edited by Accuspell

10 hours ago, Accuspell said:

What do you mean by a mind thing - pure psychology and it actually doesn't matter?  

Only that we all have a preference for a certain choke, whereas in reality, and to quote a bloke I was once talking to at a shoot, ‘you’re either on them or you’re not’. 🙂

10 hours ago, Accuspell said:

I have invested.... heavily. 😉  I have enough lead to last me my lifetime. Something tells me I won't be the only one.

Too true.

Appreciate your problem. Hopefully mine can be cured as I have the pain before I do anything. The arthritis got both shoulders. I knew that the pain could be relieved but would come back whenever it felt like it. So hedging my bets I bought a gun which I could easily lift when necessary. The pain was treated and all was well but it came back in both wrists. This meant I couldn't use the new purchase as I couldn't handle the straight hand stock and double triggers. I got another gun with neither. The balance was so good I couldn't believe the weight when I put it on the scales. So unless I'm in real trouble, with one or the other I'm good to go. The latter gun is a 20 bore 725. I held off posting until you mentioned your self imposed max range. The former gun is a Beretta 20 bore S56E. I was so impressed that I got one for my step-son, so they are out there. It weighs in at 5lb 10oz and with a 25g load you're not quite sure whether-or-not you actually pulled the trigger. The best indicator is seeing what you aimed at fall down - out to the 40+ yards if necessary. I do though have a half decent recoil pad fitted just in case.

On 26/12/2021 at 17:01, Accuspell said:

Due to my crash a few years ago I have had to give up my side by side. My whole chest was crushed and my right shoulder and arm can't take the recoil and I struggle ot lift it now for any length of time. I am OK for 2 or 3 shots, but it then really hurts still, so my shooting has been very limited and I have hardly used the shotgun as a result. When the light returns I will photograph it and put it up for sale, but it is wet and miserable and grey and dull outside so that will have to wait.  I have bought a semiauto, single barrel 12g. It is a Beretta of some sort, hardly used, from a friend who prefers his up and under. I can't fetch it yet because my shotgun certificate is still going through the mill - 3 months late already and I am still under the extension letters they send out, so I can't add it to my certificate until that is done. However, in preparation for when I can get it, and hopefully in time for the spring drillings, it has multi chokes. Just out of interest, in a modern gun like this, what kind of chokes would people recommend for general shooting?  I tend to use pretty standard cartridges, 2 1/2" 1oz 1/8th 6s or 1 ounce 7.5s for woodcock flighting. My old English gun (Midland action, Thomas Hawkes) was bored and regulated imp and 1/4 by Tony White, which suits most situations.

I have never used an auto before, but I have been assured by several people that the auto will be kinder on me as most of the recoil is taken up cycling the next cartridge. Does this reduce the power of the pellets? Will I have to use bigger cartridges to compensate for the recoil system? And consequently have to use tighter chokes to compensate for the bigger pellets, or does everything just work the same?

Any help to get back into shotgun gratefully received.

1/4 or 1/2 should do you for what your gonna be shooting at I’ve a gas beretta semi auto and a Aya no3 magnum s/s I can tell you that the semi auto is far softer shooting than the s/s especially when I’m out after ducks using 3 inch magnum cartridges The good thing about the gas semi auto is they should cycle most loads light-heavy with no problems I had a new browning A5 inertia semi and it was a jamming machine especially with the lighter clay loads The beretta hasn’t missed a beat Good luck you’ll enjoy the semi auto 👍👍👍