Shooting withdrawals

the hitman

The weather locally has been terrible for shooting pigeons- flat calm. I had convinced myself that conditions would improve today and I would be able to get a few shots off. The fog has not lifted all day and the temperature has not risen above 3 degrees- so I have been doing housekeeping duties and watching darts.

I have the agony of watching Newcastle against Man Utd tonight. There  is always hope that the fog will clear tomorrow and we will beat the red tonight- yes I am bored.

Hitman

1 hour ago, the hitman said:

The weather locally has been terrible for shooting pigeons- flat calm. I had convinced myself that conditions would improve today and I would be able to get a few shots off. The fog has not lifted all day and the temperature has not risen above 3 degrees- so I have been doing housekeeping duties and watching darts.

I have the agony of watching Newcastle against Man Utd tonight. There  is always hope that the fog will clear tomorrow and we will beat the red tonight- yes I am bored.

Hitman

It will change dont worry. Personally I have never been bored enough to watch football matches.

Blackpowder.

51 minutes ago, old'un said:

Same here, rain or drizzle, clam and foggy, rubbish weather for anything really and according to the weather it looks set for the next 10 days.

Similar, so indoor play. Prepared some timber for making up more bird boxes. I did have a quick run round in the Landie and checked my traps but it was seriously wet and slippery.  Forecast 10 days the same and I am shooting driven day tomorrow.   I blame it on covid, global warming and Boris.

26 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Similar, so indoor play. Prepared some timber for making up more bird boxes. I did have a quick run round in the Landie and checked my traps but it was seriously wet and slippery.  Forecast 10 days the same and I am shooting driven day tomorrow.   I blame it on covid, global warming and Boris.

I don't mind cold, wind, sunny or cloudy but this weather is depressing, I have been out there in this type of weather in my younger days with everything getting soaked, no, if I look out the window and its peeing down I stop at home and find something else to-do.

Don't tell me I was the only one who ventured out on the belated Boxing day , the morning was still dark at seven o clock but with no rain , had a good walk around the marshes and was lucky enough to get two Teal , after a light breakfast we popped out to get a paper and some bread , by now it was a heavy drizzle and still fairly dark , after pottering about in the garage in the afternoon I left mine about 3.30 to have another go for a duck , it was one of those murky nights with a light rain , a few Pigeons got out of the trees that had been feeding on the Ivy berries and one paid the price which was the first Pigeon I had shot in ages , my marshes are only a short walk from where I park my car so I walked a couple of dykes up first, but apart from some Swans the dykes were void of duck , by now it was getting dark and with a south easterly wind and heavy drizzle it wasn't that pleasant , the duck flight itself was good and I did mange a pair of Wigeon and a pair of wet trousers where the rain water ran off my jacket , I can't say that bothered me to much as within a few minutes of leaving the marsh I was reversing up my driveway , after hanging up the bag and a quick change of clothing I was soon dried out and was waiting to see what tomorrow's weather have in store , as it turned out it is going to be about the same as today with maybe more heavy rain , All the best     MM

SAMSUNG-CAMERA-PICTURES.jpg

9 minutes ago, JDog said:

No MM you weren't the only shooter out there today.

Today I had my fourth day out in the fog in the last eight days, all pretty successful and all enjoyable. 

I knew I could rely on you to show the flag Mr JDog , in my mind I picture the ideal weather for Boxing Day and that is where it stay , in my mind, I can't remember when we last had a covering of snow on the big day , without sounding anti social I prefer going by myself , I can then please myself , go where I want and stay as long as I want .

At the moment our rape is more or less untouched by Pigeons , what Pigeons we have got are stuffing themselves with Ivy berries and the food I put out for the various small birds that are coming into my garden .

Hope the weather didn't spoil you having a good day and all the best for the New Year  . 

15 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

well done MM you are a true shooter going out like you do.

Cheers mossy , when it comes to shooting the problem is my mind is still as keen as ever but my body don't always agree with what my mind think , at the moment the marshes are attracting a lot of duck , that is not to say you can shoot a lot of duck because every marsh have now got some water and a lot of marshes have got to much , these marshes from start to finish are nearly five miles long by nearly a mile wide and with my marshes and what the local club have got I am lucky to be able to go on quite a few of them , many a time you will end up with a empty bag and then there will be times where you stop shooting as you are getting near your self imposed limit , one thing for certain is you cannot control the weather ,and time wait for no one , on top of that is , you will not shoot wildfowl or anything else come to that while sitting at home watching the t v , you must go after them as they wont come to you , with only five weeks left of the inland season I will go as much as I can , rather than saying at the end of the season , I wish I had gone more . 

All the best and a Happy New Year    MM

What's next? The boiler packed up last Wednesday so no heating or hot water since, the boilerman came out yesterday and traced it to the motherboard... no parts available until next Wednesday! Yesterday I went out to try a roosing flight, the car threw it's belt on the way, it was given a new one last Wednesday.... at least the garage are open tomorrow to get it towed in and sorted. I am wondering what the third thing is going to be, so keeping my head down!