9mm garden gun wanted

moztoyota

Yes the only ones nowadays or for the last maybe forty or fifty years are fully metal cased. The old paper cased ones (in No1 aka .22RF and No3 aka 9mm RF) were BTW actually meant to rupture and the paper part detach and shroud the shot as it passed down the barrel acting as a (reversed) cup wad. Which is why if you ever see fired paper No3 Garden Gun cartridges it's just the brass base only and no paper case. 

Edited by enfieldspares

3 hours ago, Ricko said:

I think the only cartridges these days are full brass case.

3 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Yes the only ones nowadays or for the last maybe forty or fifty years are fully metal cased. The old paper cased ones (in No1 aka .22RF and No3 aka 9mm RF) were BTW actually meant to rupture and the paper part detach and shroud the shot as it passed down the barrel acting as a (reversed) cup wad. Which is why if you ever see fired paper No3 Garden Gun cartridges it's just the brass base only and no paper case. 

Thanks for the info, I had metal and paper 57 years ago, used for squirrels and rats.

Funny enough I have recently seen an increase in the interest in small bore shotguns. I just paid more for a Webley & Scott 9mm than an equivalent W&S 410 would go for.

I have two 9mm and I would say (in my opinion) a 2” 410 and a 9mm are not interchangeable. A 410 will do more damage and ricochet so I’d be much happier using 9mm for rats etc. close in and in confined space and/or around glass but I’d use them for different purposes 

All said and done you are paying about £18-22 a box of 50x metallic 9mm and what maybe £8-10 a box of 25x .410 depending on what’s in them so if you buy at the right price it’s not that much more expensive 

I find the main problem is finding stock of 9mm so just buy enough when you can 

The other potential issue depending on your needs is the lack of different shot size in 9mm mostly seems to be #10 or #6 shot but someone else on this forum suggested they had been successful with substituting larger shot by tipping out the shot and replacing it (at your own risk) 

Hopefully that’s useful information 

D

Edited by Downforce