hey guys wondered if you could help me im doing a youtube video on uk gun laws and im stuck as im having trouble finding any information on how much of each calibre you're allowed to keep and does the ammo have to be stored in a separate locked box to the guns, there is some information out there but i cant find a credible source .

TAO 

Leesmithyt33

lee :)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Lee

Your answer isn't that simple, as you haven't really stated what you want. A simple search here will give you the approximation for 12g, which is around 10,000 before you need an explosives licence, which is completely separate to FAC and SGC:

You haven't specified if you want info for SGC, or FAC, or what breakdown you want. Also, what load of cartridge, 21g? 28g? More?

Then you're looking at FAC for bullets which is completely different to your SGC, and will also vary depending on what you're approved based on what you are planning on shooting. I believe storage limits will vary depending on what firearms you plan on buying, how frequently you plan on shooting etc.

SGC is fairly simple, so around 10,000. For FAC, the answer is genuinely "depends on what you've asked for and why you need it".

Happy to be corrected by someone else if I am wrong :)

You may want to ask your local county firearms licencing team, they could tell you what that county typically does on a FOI request.

20 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

Hi Lee

Your answer isn't that simple, as you haven't really stated what you want. A simple search here will give you the approximation for 12g, which is around 10,000 before you need an explosives licence, which is completely separate to FAC and SGC:

You haven't specified if you want info for SGC, or FAC, or what breakdown you want. Also, what load of cartridge, 21g? 28g? More?

Then you're looking at FAC for bullets which is completely different to your SGC, and will also vary depending on what you're approved based on what you are planning on shooting. I believe storage limits will vary depending on what firearms you plan on buying, how frequently you plan on shooting etc.

SGC is fairly simple, so around 10,000. For FAC, the answer is genuinely "depends on what you've asked for and why you need it".

Happy to be corrected by someone else if I am wrong :)

You may want to ask your local county firearms licencing team, they could tell you what that county typically does on a FOI request.

Cheers buddy appreciate that it helps me out alot!

I'm making a YouTube video on uk gun laws and I wasn't sure if there was a hard limit on fac ammo

so 10,000 oz of black powder would be the legal limit you can posses without a explosives license? (10,000 shells at 1oz each) (For sgc) I didn't know that so its something to add. 

Yea it's too broad to put a number on the fac ammo limit as you say there's so many variables 

Thanks again for taking your time to reply though! :)

Lee

4 minutes ago, leesmithyt33 said:

Cheers buddy appreciate that it helps me out alot!

I'm making a YouTube video on uk gun laws and I wasn't sure if there was a hard limit on fac ammo

so 10,000 oz of black powder would be the legal limit you can posses without a explosives license? (10,000 shells at 1oz each) (For sgc) I didn't know that so its something to add. 

Yea it's too broad to put a number on the fac ammo limit as you say there's so many variables 

Thanks again for taking your time to reply though!

Lee

I’m pretty sure black powder wasn’t mentioned in your initial request different rule’s apply to this again 

have you any links to other YouTube video you have made that maybe interesting to forum members?

you need a black powder license to possess black powder there free if you meet the appropriate requirements for public safety and your own ect 

12 minutes ago, Scully said:

Is this a wind up? 

Yes I purposefully came on here for no other reason than to wind people up over Christmas as I have nothing else better to do, but thanks for your derisive comment 

I definitely could of worded my question better and I actually did 3 hours ago on another post. 

gun laws are in black and white on gov websites so that's how I can make a YouTube video about it. As I previously mentioned I couldn't find anything on ammunition. 

I came on here to get a better understanding instead on making something up or just leaving it out 

8 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

How can you make a video on UK gun laws, when you don't know UK gun laws :hmm:

I think you might be right

3 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

All this info is readily available online but you are willing to take the word of a forum member that you don't know from Adam? And then put it on YOUTUBE where others may take what you say as gospel?

No I didn't say that did I? There is nothing stopping me from fact checking anything anyone says to me on here before I put my name to it, I actually have pride in my work. it gives me a basis to start on by asking people who know more than me 

12 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

I’m pretty sure black powder wasn’t mentioned in your initial request different rule’s apply to this again 

have you any links to other YouTube video you have made that maybe interesting to forum members?

you need a black powder license to possess black powder there free if you meet the appropriate requirements for public safety and your own ect 

I meant gunpowder sorry not black powder

Probably not as this will be my first video on the subject, but you're more than welcome to check my YouTube out its same username as on here. 

Thank you for clearing that up for me I will take a look into black powder more sounds interesting. 

2 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

When someone asked if this was a wind up, they had clearly not watched the above video. Bit of a leap from smashing light tubes to UK gun laws.

That video was taken about 13-14 years ago. Had you never done anything dumb as a kid? I uploaded it for that reason it's dumb and dumb videos sometimes blow up

I've come along way from smashing light bulbs over my head in abandoned buildings

Just now, London Best said:

NOBODY should be allowed to make a YouTube video (or write a book) on any subject unless and until he knows what he is talking about.

Ah yes as freedom of speech is so overrated these days 

Just now, London Best said:

And in your case is obviously a very dangerous thing.

How so? Every single thing I have written down for my video is factually correct

You're just assuming I'm going to be telling all sorts of porkies have a look at the video when it's out and maybe you'll change your mind on me.. if your ego let's you. 

38 minutes ago, leesmithyt33 said:

I meant gunpowder sorry not black powder

Probably not as this will be my first video on the subject, but you're more than welcome to check my YouTube out its same username as on here. 

Thank you for clearing that up for me I will take a look into black powder more sounds interesting. 

Gunpowder is black powder 

we use nitro cellulose powder in cartridges 

please research this subject very carefully before you do your video at best it could make you look ill informed 

at worst cause a serious accident

powder and ammunition is not a thing to mess with 

39 minutes ago, leesmithyt33 said:

Yes I purposefully came on here for no other reason than to wind people up over Christmas as I have nothing else better to do, but thanks for your derisive comment 

I queried your initial post because your grammar and punctuation are terrible. There again, if you’re making a visual work rather than a written one, then it possibly doesn’t matter. 

9 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I'll give your vids a miss after having a quick look. First member I have ever blocked.

So you don't like what i have to say and disagree with me so you're going to block me lol. 

How old are you 12?

7 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

The video I cited was 13-14 years ago. One of your more recent efforts - "Worlds strongest smelling salts vs Noob".

I trust your gun law classic will be less juvenile.

Yea and to be fair you have to be a noob to actually smell that stuff I do not recommend. 

It will be I hope you give it a watch and make your decision about it with an open mind, I will have links directly too the gov website the information came from 

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

I queried your initial post because your grammar and punctuation are terrible. There again, if you’re making a visual work rather than a written one, then it possibly doesn’t matter. 

My intentions are not bad here if I didn't care what I was going to post I wouldn't look for advice on the matter and would of left it out or made it up

I rushed the post that was a mistake 

It will be visual with speaking so we should be good in the grammar area. 

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Cracking first post and follow ups.WELCOME to Pigeon Watch!   :lol:

Nice to get people chatting over the festive season lol 

10 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Scully - a little harsh. Perhaps the result of banging light tubes on his head.

Could be a multiple of things you'll be surprised to hear that's not the only silly thing I've done 

23 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Gunpowder is black powder 

we use nitro cellulose powder in cartridges 

please research this subject very carefully before you do your video at best it could make you look ill informed 

at worst cause a serious accident

powder and ammunition is not a thing to mess with 

Ofcourse I don't plan on putting anything in my video that isn't fact checked with the sources linked

It's not something I'm doing overnight. 

I will probably just release it to a few people on here for them to view first to have some feed back off people who knows alot more than me. 

20 minutes ago, leesmithyt33 said:

My intentions are not bad here if I didn't care what I was going to post I wouldn't look for advice on the matter and would of left it out or made it up

I rushed the post that was a mistake 

It will be visual with speaking so we should be good in the grammar area. 

Our scepticism is probably due to a former PW member who had visions of a YouTube income ( he may well have it by now, I wouldn’t know…..but hopefully nothing to do with shooting ) by showing footage of shooting related items it quickly became apparent ( due to his lack of experience ) he had little knowledge of. 
If you think we’re being harsh now, just wait and see how bad it gets if you don’t get it right when you eventually begin to upload it to the tube. 
Get it wrong at your peril. 
Are you actually a firearms owner? I only ask because if you were one of experience you would already have a good working knowledge of how things were.