4 minutes ago, leesmithyt33 said:

release it to a few people on here for them to view first to have some feed back

Unless you have an exceptionally thick skin I would advise against doing that. It would be better to shoot for a while, learn about your subject and then present from a position of knowledge. Unless of course you are a seasoned broadcaster reading a script prepared by an expert research team.

I have been shooting and working dogs since I was a little boy, after more than 20 years the only thing I now know for sure is that I know very little, and have even less knowledge that is worth broadcasting. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

Our scepticism is probably due to a former PW member who had visions of a YouTube income ( he may well have it by now, I wouldn’t know…..but hopefully nothing to do with shooting ) by showing footage of shooting related items it quickly became apparent ( due to his lack of experience ) he had little knowledge of. 
If you think we’re being harsh now, just wait and see how bad it gets if you don’t get it right when you eventually begin to upload it to the tube. 
Get it wrong at your peril. 
Are you actually a firearms owner? I only ask because if you were one of experience you would already have a good working knowledge of how things were. 

I'm not here to make money off YouTube

I have a really good job that allows me to have alot of spare time and I like to make youtube videos

I'm not here to make a series on shooting just one video outlining the what the UK government says about owning firearms in the UK 

Everything will be correct with sources or it won't be included 

No I'm not a firearm owner yet my friend has just recently gotten accepted for his SGC which has peaked my interest 

I will eventually get my SGC and then FAC but I'm in no rush 

11 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Unless you have an exceptionally thick skin I would advise against doing that. It would be better to shoot for a while, learn about your subject and then present from a position of knowledge. Unless of course you are a seasoned broadcaster reading a script prepared by an expert research team.

I have been shooting and working dogs since I was a little boy, after more than 20 years the only thing I now know for sure is that I know very little, and have even less knowledge that is worth broadcasting. 

I have pretty thick skin

If there is anything they think is wrong then it will probably just be their opinion against fact 

If the government website on guns isn't correct then what is? 

I will have others watch and give me feedback on it before it goes live 

I know I don't know everything I dont claim to that's the exact reason I'm on here get ideas for it then research and make the best video possible 

I welcome anyone with any opinions to discuss anything with me, it's how we all become more informed 

15 minutes ago, leesmithyt33 said:

I'm not here to make money off YouTube

I have a really good job that allows me to have alot of spare time and I like to make youtube videos

I'm not here to make a series on shooting just one video outlining the what the UK government says about owning firearms in the UK 

Everything will be correct with sources or it won't be included 

No I'm not a firearm owner yet my friend has just recently gotten accepted for his SGC which has peaked my interest 

I will eventually get my SGC and then FAC but I'm in no rush 

Thanks for your honesty. 👍

Ive just read all this thread and without trying to sound too harsh or condescending .PLEASE can you not make this video for utube .You as a non  sgc, fac 

holder your not in the best position to represent those  people who are .There really is a lot at stake for ticket holders with bad information  or even correct info "poorly" presented .you may also damage your chances of even getting a ticket your self in the future due to ,maybe an opinion or  lack of apparent knowledge  .

I strongly advise you give this very serious  topic a miss .

And leave it to others with more experience  .there have  already been more than 1  utuber with ,  fac  /sgc  cert   who have lost there  guns after a post .

Sincerely   stu .

26 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Ive just read all this thread and without trying to sound too harsh or condescending .PLEASE can you not make this video for utube .You as a non  sgc, fac 

holder your not in the best position to represent those  people who are .There really is a lot at stake for ticket holders with bad information  or even correct info "poorly" presented .you may also damage your chances of even getting a ticket your self in the future due to ,maybe an opinion or  lack of apparent knowledge  .

I strongly advise you give this very serious  topic a miss .

And leave it to others with more experience  .there have  already been more than 1  utuber with ,  fac  /sgc  cert   who have lost there  guns after a post .

Sincerely   stu .

No ofcourse I appreciate your response

I will be making the video unfortunately but like I've said previously it will be done to a good standard with nothing but factual information

no opinions or representations of anyone person will be in my video

I will be taking a factual journalistic approach while making the video if they want to come after me for that there's a big problem with this country. 

And I appreciate what your saying but there will always be people that moan and cry about things

no matter how much you know or think you know there will always be someone out there that thinks they know more or better,

I hope it won't be terrible but I won't know unless I try

maybe you want to see it before it goes live might give you abit more confidence in me 

I'm confident in myself  

I won't be going for my sgc or fac for awhile by the time I go to get my licence I'll obviously know alot more 

I just don't see the problem in making the video about it when it is written in black and white online for anyone to see 

UK gun laws are so taboo we should be talking about it more and inviting new people into conversations about it. 

Hope your having a good Christmas stu 

Thanks Lee

39 minutes ago, leesmithyt33 said:

UK gun laws are so taboo we should be talking about it more and inviting new people into conversations about it. 

This I agree on .

The more we renormalize shooting the better .

Can I ask you Lee. What is your interest in shooting ? And why do you feel compelled to make this video ? 

I see your other   shoot'em  up videos on utube .

i just want to know why  ?..........what  is the reason for you wanting to do this ?.....give a valid reason and im sure a lot of help will come your way :good:

just a post script to this.....but due to whispers i have heard in certain quarters...it is possible that the police will start checking social media of future applicants ... 

7 minutes ago, ditchman said:

just a post script to this.....but due to whispers i have heard in certain quarters...it is possible that the police will start checking social media of future applicants ... 

I'm sure they do already. I know they do here in NZ. You can only imagine the headlines if someone was posting inappropriate material online, got a SGC/FAC and then went on to perform some horrific act with legally held guns.  

1 hour ago, leesmithyt33 said:

No ofcourse I appreciate your response

I will be making the video unfortunately but like I've said previously it will be done to a good standard with nothing but factual information

no opinions or representations of anyone person will be in my video

I will be taking a factual journalistic approach while making the video if they want to come after me for that there's a big problem with this country. 

And I appreciate what your saying but there will always be people that moan and cry about things

no matter how much you know or think you know there will always be someone out there that thinks they know more or better,

I hope it won't be terrible but I won't know unless I try

maybe you want to see it before it goes live might give you abit more confidence in me 

I'm confident in myself  

I won't be going for my sgc or fac for awhile by the time I go to get my licence I'll obviously know alot more 

I just don't see the problem in making the video about it when it is written in black and white online for anyone to see 

Hope your having a good Christmas stu 

Thanks Lee

In what way do you regard UK gun laws as being taboo? 

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

This I agree on .

The more we renormalize shooting the better .

Can I ask you Lee. What is your interest in shooting ? And why do you feel compelled to make this video ? 

I see your other   shoot'em  up videos on utube .

Its nice to find common ground I think alot of people agree with that though

when used safely and correctly they can be awesome fun 

My interest in making this video actually came from a YouTube short I seen, some guy from America was shooting a .22 I commented on there saying " the biggest calibre that we are allowed in semi automatic rifles was .22" and there was so many people that didn't even realise that guns were legal in the UK 

I feel like a video explaining;

licensing, prohibited firearms, what the UK law defines as a pistol/rifle/shotgun

What the difference in the SGC and FAC is 

And just showing some guns that people have and can legal buy in the UK

Could only get people in the UK more interested in finding out more about firearms and in turn hopefully get rid of the stigma that comes with them and also it can educate people from across the pond in what we can own. 

But I can see why you would think it was from my other videos they are only call of duty game clips I stream on twitch so I put some compilations on my YouTube the videos don't save on twitch so I would loose them if I didn't put them in YouTube 

I'm fine with anyone going through my socials and I'm actually for that it makes sense to do it. 

54 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i just want to know why  ?..........what  is the reason for you wanting to do this ?.....give a valid reason and im sure a lot of help will come your way :good:

2 hours ago, leesmithyt33 said:

I have pretty thick skin

If the government website on guns isn't correct then what is? 

To be fair you're still here so I agree you're thick skinned. Or, baiting, but I am more than happy to give the benefit of the doubt hence why I tried to answer you in the first place.

The information held in legislation and government websites are correct, however some rules are open to interpretation. If you've seen the recent changes of some forces to requiring a medical form on application of a licence and renewals, this is an example of that interpretation force by force. Then add in for FAC what may or may not be allowed, it is down to requirements of the shooter so cannot be prescriptive in law.

There are things that are prescribed in law, such as storage of FAC ammunition, but it is not there for "standard" shotgun cartridges. Until.... you discuss cartridges that are only allowed by FAC holders.

Then you have a shotgun that holds a max of 3 cartridges, above that it needs an FAC, even though it's still a shotgun.

Maybe you could ask questions with your reasoned thought and the source, and if you have misread/misinterpreted or need clarity, we could help?

1 hour ago, leesmithyt33 said:

The comments made are referenced here regarding video making:

British gun activist loses firearms licences | Daily Mail Online

I'm also interested in your use in the word taboo there. I am guessing you meant something else.... The law by large is in a couple of bits of legislation, and even if you google "how many shotgun cartridges can I have in my house" there's a mixed variety of replies, one of which is a discussion in the house of commons I believe which also referenced 10,000 cartridges.

4 hours ago, leesmithyt33 said:

I'm making a YouTube video on uk gun laws and I wasn't sure if there was a hard limit on fac ammo

so 10,000 oz of black powder would be the legal limit you can posses without a explosives license? (10,000 shells at 1oz each) (For sgc) I didn't know that so its something to add. 

ok, this is something that some of the others are worried about, is that words can be misinterpreted. Let me help you on this one above!

First off, give this a read:
Beginners guide to Shotgun Cartridges (elliotrobertsshooting.com)
and
Alliant Powder - Shotshell

One of the most common clay cartridge will be a 28g load, usually of 7 or 7.5 shot. 28g=1 Oz, so the reference to 10,000 1oz cartridges is NOT the amount of nitrouscellulose powder, but rather how they are classifying the amount of powder to fire a standard 28g load of 7 shot, for example. Also at this point, clarify that the powder inside a shotgun cartridge is a propellant and not an explosive. Black powder as Old Farrier referenced (and is an interesting topic in its own right) is an explosive.

I don't know the amount of powder per cartridge, I don't home load.

You need to look at the NEQ, I had to look this up. I won't explain, it's all here:

Store shotgun cartridges safely and securely - how to do it (shootinguk.co.uk)

Also, consider not just firearms act, but things like HSE for explosives. In addition, for "home loaders" who make their own cartridges or bullets, you then have percussion caps or primers (not the same thing), and that is a different thing to the nitrocellulose powder. Have a read here for example:

HSE Explosives - Storing explosives

That's a load of stuff to consider, all easily google'able. It just helps to get a base term of reference. 

Good luck. 

32 minutes ago, leesmithyt33 said:

Not the UK gun laws sorry..

but owning guns in the UK is taboo or it is in my limited experience 

I would disagree with this Lee. I think the correct thing would be to say many people are unaware of what can be legally owned and shot in the UK, regardless of the regulations on some of them of where they can be shot. Also that handguns were banned following a horrific massacre in Dunblane, yet people still seem to be able to own handgun style guns shot at a gunrange. 

Is it naivety or not publicised enough? Maybe. But it isn't taboo. To be fair I thought that handguns were fully banned til I saw some of the workarounds to allow people to shoot at a range, where a barrel length is greater than 30cm. Again, there's far more to it than that, including calibre and restrictions. 

As for powder load..... a quick check of this forum provided!:

If a shotgun cartridge is classed as small arms ammunition then the limit is around 10,000.

See link http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/tradingstandards/business/licensing.asp

info pasted: Explosives

If you keep shotgun cartridges or fireworks for sale you will probably require registration under the Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005. If you keep ammunition for small arms you may keep up to 15 kilogrammes of powder in the form of cartridges (at 1.62 grammes or 25 grains of powder per cartridge you can keep up to 9,260 without registration; at 2.72 grammes or 42 grains of powder per cartridge you can keep 5,500 cartidges without registration. The storage of other products such as motor vehicle air bag inflators or nail gun cartridges also requires registration but up to 5 kilogrammes can be stored without registration.

Not 100% clear as it starts talking about shotgun cartridges and then swithces to mentioning small arms ammunition.

Edit:

with most things like this it is best to use any info on the internet as a guide and then check out the facts by looking at the actual legislation.

see The Control of Explosive Substances 1991 regulations it seems up to 15Kg of smokeless powder is permitted in a private premises when loaded into small arms ammunition. Just looked at a slab of Hull Special Pigeon which are marked with UN 0012, which appears on schedule 1 as cartridges, small arms UN0012. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1991/1531/schedule/1/made

(reference: 

17 hours ago, leesmithyt33 said:

but owning guns in the UK is taboo or it is in my limited experience 

And that about sum's this whole thread up, your experience isn't just limited, it's non-existent (as in 'you don't have any').
The ownership and licensing of firearms in the uk is legislated. It is covered (in detail) by the Firearms Act 1968 and its subsequent updates (the latest being issued on Dec 20th this year).
The Scottish Government has devolved powers relating to the Act and new statutory guidance for Chief Officers of the Police were issued on Dec 16th 2021

There is a very small element of 'at the discretion of' given to chief police officers however almost every angle is covered by either the Act or the Statutory Guidance.
Read this and get back to us   Stat Guidance Firarms

21 hours ago, HantsRob said:

To be fair you're still here so I agree you're thick skinned. Or, baiting, but I am more than happy to give the benefit of the doubt hence why I tried to answer you in the first place.

Very thick skinned I can take what ever you guy wana throw at me and I'll keep coming back. 

The information held in legislation and government websites are correct, however some rules are open to interpretation. If you've seen the recent changes of some forces to requiring a medical form on application of a licence and renewals, this is an example of that interpretation force by force. Then add in for FAC what may or may not be allowed, it is down to requirements of the shooter so cannot be prescriptive in law

Yes I've noticed that, anything that is open to interpretation will be noted as such. 

'Ive seen the recent changes and I will make sure to add that the video I will be making will be upto date to the day I post it but will be subject to change in the future . 

, this is something that some of the others are worried about, is that words can be misinterpreted. Let me help you on this one above!

First off, give this a read:
Beginners guide to Shotgun Cartridges (elliotrobertsshooting.com)
and
Alliant Powder - Shotshell

One of the most common clay cartridge will be a 28g load, usually of 7 or 7.5 shot. 28g=1 Oz, so the reference to 10,000 1oz cartridges is NOT the amount of nitrouscellulose powder, but rather how they are classifying the amount of powder to fire a standard 28g load of 7 shot, for example. Also at this point, clarify that the powder inside a shotgun cartridge is a propellant and not an explosive. Black powder as Old Farrier referenced (and is an interesting topic in its own right) is an explosive.

I don't know the amount of powder per cartridge, I don't home load.

You need to look at the NEQ, I had to look this up. I won't explain, it's all here:

Store shotgun cartridges safely and securely - how to do it (shootinguk.co.uk)

Also, consider not just firearms act, but things like HSE for explosives. In addition, for "home loaders" who make their own cartridges or bullets, you then have percussion caps or primers (not the same thing), and that is a different thing to the nitrocellulose powder. Have a read here for example:

HSE Explosives - Storing explosives

That's a load of stuff to consider, all easily google'able. It just helps to get a base term of reference. 

Thank you for this you really didn't have to, this is the kinda thing we should be talking about look how much information is layed out on this thread...

I will take my time to go through and read all of this aswell as checking it out on the official websites 

A very good base term of reference thank again! 

The comments made are referenced here regarding video making:

British gun activist loses firearms licences | Daily Mail Online

I'm also interested in your use in the word taboo there. I am guessing you meant something else.... The law by large is in a couple of bits of legislation, and even if you google "how many shotgun cartridges can I have in my house" there's a mixed variety of replies, one of which is a discussion in the house of commons I believe which also referenced 10,000 cartridges.

So first off here Im not a gun activist I agree with every law that we have that attends to guns and most other things 

I'm not here to say we should or should not be able to do things/have I'm just here to make it clear what we are allowed to have

Yes I think taboo is the wrong word im trying to use there

I mean it's not openly talked about unless there is a shooting then people only talk about the bad side of owning guns 

would disagree with this Lee. I think the correct thing would be to say many people are unaware of what can be legally owned and shot in the UK, regardless of the regulations on some of them of where they can be shot. Also that handguns were banned following a horrific massacre in Dunblane, yet people still seem to be able to own handgun style guns shot at a gunrange. 

Is it naivety or not publicised enough? Maybe. But it isn't taboo. To be fair I thought that handguns were fully banned til I saw some of the workarounds to allow people to shoot at a range, where a barrel length is greater than 30cm. Again, there's far more to it than that, including calibre and restrictions. 

Yes people are 100% unaware on what they can own and shoot I have definitely mixed my words up you are spot on with that. 

After thinking about it over night I've decided not to add ammo information into it as there is so much to it and I wouldn't want to get anything wrong 

I will still go through all the link you have sent me though I appreciate that. 

3 hours ago, miki said:

And that about sum's this whole thread up, your experience isn't just limited, it's non-existent (as in 'you don't have any').
The ownership and licensing of firearms in the uk is legislated. It is covered (in detail) by the Firearms Act 1968 and its subsequent updates (the latest being issued on Dec 20th this year).
The Scottish Government has devolved powers relating to the Act and new statutory guidance for Chief Officers of the Police were issued on Dec 16th 2021

There is a very small element of 'at the discretion of' given to chief police officers however almost every angle is covered by either the Act or the Statutory Guidance.
Read this and get back to us   Stat Guidance Firarms

So you have a cry when news reporters get something wrong is it? 

"The ownership and licensing of firearms in the uk is legislated. It is covered (in detail) by the Firearms Act 1968 and its subsequent updates (the latest being issued on Dec 20th this year)."

exactly! 

So what's the problem in me copying what they have said is legislation?

You know alot of people won't just go read about this sort of stuff but if a 6 minute video comes up they will watch that 

Its getting the correct information out there for people to see 

I will not be adding the gun laws from Scotland and Ireland as they differ from Wales and England 

But thank you for the link I'll have a read of it

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Gordon Bennett, the thread that just keeps giving!   

I suppose we could just make his damned video for him?   

You can if you want.. It won't stop me from making my video but your more than welcome

There's alot of good information been shared on here 

I am going to make this video I really don't care if I upset anyone by doing so I'm not trying to be a **** here I just really Don't care 

I will make sure ALL information is factually correct before posting

it just seem alot of people with big egos on here love to have a cry about something and I'm that something tonight lol

I'd love if anyone wanted to send my pictures of their guns to add to the video? 

Just now, Newbie to this said:

Why there are plenty of pictures on Google.

Are you sure 6 minutes is long enough to cover the whole UK gun legislation. Doesn't seem long enough to me.

I can get guns off Google images and I will just thought I'd offer the opportunity to anyone on here that wanted to show their gun off in a video. 

Maybe 6 minutes won't be long enough have you all really got to pick at stupid things like how long it's on for lol? It's not set in stone that it's 6 minutes it's an estimation

if you wasn't so lazy and actually read what was written you would see im not doing the "whole UK gun legislation" 

2 minutes ago, leesmithyt33 said:

I can get guns off Google images and I will just thought I'd offer the opportunity to anyone on here that wanted to show their gun off in a video. 

Maybe 6 minutes won't be long enough have you all really got to pick at stupid things like how long it's on for lol? It's not set in stone that it's 6 minutes it's an estimation

if you wasn't so lazy and actually read what was written you would see im not doing the "whole UK gun legislation" 

You sadly should be re reading this as you seem to be changing it from ammunition quantities and information 

to asking for pictures of our guns 

im beginning to think you have a alternative motive 

I hope I’m wrong 

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

You sadly should be re reading this as you seem to be changing it from ammunition quantities and information 

to asking for pictures of our guns 

im beginning to think you have a alternative motive 

I hope I’m wrong

Its your opinion and your entitled to it even though you are wrong 

What's wrong in asking to see pictures of people's guns then? Illegal is it? I'm trying to talk about guns and everyone seems to want to shut me down about it 

You are wrong 1000%

3 minutes ago, London Best said:

I think every one of us should have a go at making an informative video on any subject we know NOTHING about.

Why don't you have a go instead of having a cry about it? 

Just now, leesmithyt33 said:

Its your opinion and your entitled to it even though you are wrong 

What's wrong in asking to see pictures of people's guns then? Illegal is it? I'm trying to talk about guns and everyone seems to want to shut me down about it 

You are wrong 1000%

Why don't you have a go instead of having a cry about it? 

I’m not crying, I just think you are an idiot, and probably a dangerous one at that. 
I am not prepared to argue with you.