Budget cartridges

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I’m slightly wary of re the Italian jobs - is that they tend to feature silly high velocities….not always but often. Using a lot of these sticks of dynamite in a long clay session can lead to fatigue. The Eley Select mentioned by Scully (I think), are smooth and it’s possible to use a lot of them without discomfort. They break clays perfectly well out to good ranges. An attractively priced smooth standard velocity shell from Italy would be great. I usually try a box before committing to a shipping order. Rather a Fiat than the Ferrari I’m afraid…..😁

19 minutes ago, 8 shot said:

Why ! Same components as those loaded abroad but £100/1000 dearer. Had my pants pulled down enough in the last 2 years see no reason to have in my leisure time.

On 30/12/2021 at 10:29, Newbie to this said:

Still buy British. Even if it is only British assembled.

Wow £100/1000 dearer, where are you buying these cheap cartridges for around £110/1000.

Why? Quite simply to keep people employed in the UK and to keep the money in the UK (or at least some of it).

So again buy British. Even if only British assembled.

It’s amazing that we can still buy clay cart’s for about £200 ish. Great value relative to average earnings. What isn’t so great is that game cart’s are about 80% dearer! I know the manufacturing volume/scale isn’t quite the same, however I’ve never felt so robbed by British manufacturers. An extra 2 grams of shot and some glossy marketing and suddenly the price is £360 to £380. I think it would be healthy re competition and market disruption for the Italians to undercut these ludicrous British game cart’ prices. 

2 hours ago, Fellside said:

It’s amazing that we can still buy clay cart’s for about £200 ish. Great value relative to average earnings. What isn’t so great is that game cart’s are about 80% dearer! I know the manufacturing volume/scale isn’t quite the same, however I’ve never felt so robbed by British manufacturers. An extra 2 grams of shot and some glossy marketing and suddenly the price is £360 to £380. I think it would be healthy re competition and market disruption for the Italians to undercut these ludicrous British game cart’ prices. 

Should think its mainly down to volumes as well as clever marketing, I probably shoot less than 2 slabs of game carts a season compared to maybe 30 slabs of clays. Taken in to context where you could be paying somewhere in the region of £40 plus vat (some much higher) per bird shot, then 40p per game cart is negligible (1% of your bird price), add the fuel for the range rover and doubt game cart manufacturers are too worried about overpricing the market.

6 minutes ago, Charliedog said:

Should think its mainly down to volumes as well as clever marketing, I probably shoot less than 2 slabs of game carts a season compared to maybe 30 slabs of clays. Taken in to context where you could be paying somewhere in the region of £40 plus vat (some much higher) per bird shot, then 40p per game cart is negligible (1% of your bird price), add the fuel for the range rover and doubt game cart manufacturers are too worried about overpricing the market.

I appreciate your point Charliedog, and I’ve heard this “it’s a small percentage of the day’s cost” type of message a lot. Whether it’s a car, a loaf of bread or cartridges, it’s just an unpleasant feeling to know I’m being ripped off….for anything. 

Even given the smaller game cart’s volumes, there not exactly a tiny niche. It just leaves an uncomfortable feeling to pay so much over the top. £20 or £40 above clay cart’s might be more in line with smaller scale production ……but £180…?!!

I think it is within the natural order of commerce for these excessive margins to be challenged by imports - and I would welcome that disruption. 

9 hours ago, Fellside said:

I appreciate your point Charliedog, and I’ve heard this “it’s a small percentage of the day’s cost” type of message a lot. Whether it’s a car, a loaf of bread or cartridges, it’s just an unpleasant feeling to know I’m being ripped off….for anything. 

Even given the smaller game cart’s volumes, there not exactly a tiny niche. It just leaves an uncomfortable feeling to pay so much over the top. £20 or £40 above clay cart’s might be more in line with smaller scale production ……but £180…?!!

I think it is within the natural order of commerce for these excessive margins to be challenged by imports - and I would welcome that disruption. 

More chance clay carts rise towards game carts price wise, that would be of more concern to me personally

1 hour ago, London Best said:

What makes you think “clay cartridges” won’t kill game? 

Simple: just use your “clay cartridges” to shoot game.
They will work just fine. 
I generally buy 7’s to shoot game anyway.  
A cartridge is a cartridge.

I agree to an extent _ hare and rabbit 😉

2 hours ago, Charliedog said:

More chance clay carts rise towards game carts price wise, that would be of more concern to me personally

Yes a concerning prospect - although there appears to be more market competition in the clay sector. This seems to have kept prices sensible over the years. If there’s a quantum leap to steal, I think we’ll see some opportunism and inflated margins. 

2 hours ago, London Best said:

What makes you think “clay cartridges” won’t kill game? 

Simple: just use your “clay cartridges” to shoot game.
They will work just fine. 
I generally buy 7’s to shoot game anyway.  
A cartridge is a cartridge.

Yes good thinking - some clay cart’s are available in 7,s. I have occasionally used them over decoys and average game distances. I remember when 7s were quite widely used in game shooting years ago. The challenge for me personally however, is that I shoot driven pheasants pushed off high valley sides and hill tops etc, they are quite a way up a lot of the time. I do find that they need a bit more ‘umph’ to make them tumble, so I tend to use 6s….or even 5s for some of the drives. 
Great to use clay cart’s when possible though and ‘beat the system’ do to speak. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/12/2021 at 19:38, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, had a trawl through the cartridge discounters like just carts and cheapest £230/40 7.5 28g plastic, I would consider getting together with you shooting friends and buy in bulk, Buy 10,000 from Just Carts for discount and free delivery, oh you could drop a 1000 off to me 🤔😁

I would hardly call Just Cartridges a cartridge discounter - they are generally THE most expensive. I have used Gamebore Velocity for a while now and find them good. Used a box of Hull Comp X the other week and my mates thought they had no shot in!!! Glad it was just one box. Got Hull Superfast to use next.

A guy I know who is in the trade stated the Gamebore trade price is now higher than the retail price was 2 years ago!!!

Support your local gun shop/clay ground - buy what they have and you will probably pay around £220 per 1000.

1 hour ago, Lever357 said:

I would hardly call Just Cartridges a cartridge discounter - they are generally THE most expensive. I have used Gamebore Velocity for a while now and find them good. Used a box of Hull Comp X the other week and my mates thought they had no shot in!!! Glad it was just one box. Got Hull Superfast to use next.

A guy I know who is in the trade stated the Gamebore trade price is now higher than the retail price was 2 years ago!!!

Support your local gun shop/clay ground - buy what they have and you will probably pay around £220 per 1000.

Hello, I quite agree looking at JCs latest prices 🤔 , only other RFDs are Swindon, more expensive, Thame, same as JCs , that's why I have a Wanted add for cartridges, I don't really like these RFDs 🙄, Swindon only discount to friends, Thame seems to be the same, any new person they try to charge top prices, cheers

On 29/12/2021 at 12:03, Smokersmith said:

If you've been using the Comp X be prepared for a shock when you use the LiteSpeed ... they kill well, but go with a hell of a thump compared to the Comp X.

Find them both fine, prefer the Fiocchi as Comp x wont cycle my auto reliably 

17 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Just been out and bought a couple of thousand RC Romagnola 21g 12 bore 7 1/2 Fibre Wad shells for a Mate.

Spent £460, so not a bad price and will do for him to practice with in the back garden. 

How big is the garden?! 

Out of curiosity (and wanting to learn), why 21g? Reduced recoil or just a cheaper shell for practice?

20 hours ago, Lever357 said:

I would hardly call Just Cartridges a cartridge discounter - they are generally THE most expensive.

To be fair, if I want to buy 4-5 thousand carts (and potentially up to 10k if buying as a group) then the fact there's a break point for free delivery is a bonus. Saves me a 40 mile round journey, and saves me having to load my car up with all that weight and save on fuel. My time also...... so JC I agree isn't cheap, but in bulk can pay for itself happily in saving 90-100 minutes of time, fuel, effort etc

17 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

How big is the garden?! 

Out of curiosity (and wanting to learn), why 21g? Reduced recoil or just a cheaper shell for practice?

To be fair, if I want to buy 4-5 thousand carts (and potentially up to 10k if buying as a group) then the fact there's a break point for free delivery is a bonus. Saves me a 40 mile round journey, and saves me having to load my car up with all that weight and save on fuel. My time also...... so JC I agree isn't cheap, but in bulk can pay for itself happily in saving 90-100 minutes of time, fuel, effort etc

I have switched to using Gamebore eco 21g for clays and l think my scores have improved. People con not believe they have the range that they do and several mates have now started to use. Trap shoots now use 24g and they are at a fair range

36 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

How big is the garden?! 

The garden is substantial and the farmland beyond is quite large too.

21 Grammes was the cheapest shell at the time with a fibre wad, we will find out on Saturday afternoon if they work well.

Having used similar cartridges before and currently using the RC Romagnola's in 28 gramme plastic wad when shooting Registered Competitions, I reckon they will be fine.

Just Cartridges have their place in the life/work balance. but as you appear to be planning to order enough to gain free delivery I think you understand the game.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Spellage!

28 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Sounds good. Are the advertised shot sizes English or Italian?

The box is fully printed Italian on my 28G Romagnolas so I can only assume 7.5 Italian and not English. 

Pretty sure they're labelled 2.4mm which is English 7? Can check my 28g tonight. Can't comment on 21g