Budget cartridges

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just been out to the store, as Rob says, the box and the cartridge are labelled 7 1/2 and more importantly 2.4mm.

So a good old English 7

They work very well on clays and I have shot pigeons over decoys with the fibre version.

Great cartridge and at a very good price at the moment.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
CAPITALISATION!

Somebody previously mentioned Gamebore Evo - I am a big fan of these. I’ve used thousands of them in 24 gram. I last paid about £230. They’ll break anything an ounce will and soft shooting. Also, seeing the inner workings through the transparent case gives an assurance that they’re loaded properly. There you go - my two penneth. 

On 25/01/2022 at 16:18, Lever357 said:

I would hardly call Just Cartridges a cartridge discounter - they are generally THE most expensive. I have used Gamebore Velocity for a while now and find them good. Used a box of Hull Comp X the other week and my mates thought they had no shot in!!! Glad it was just one box. Got Hull Superfast to use next.

A guy I know who is in the trade stated the Gamebore trade price is now higher than the retail price was 2 years ago!!!

Support your local gun shop/clay ground - buy what they have and you will probably pay around £220 per 1000.

Hello, with Just Carts you do have more variety of cartridges but they seem to have upped the prices some what but I think it's more down to their suppliers costs of imports and UK manufactures costs of components , as I mentioned if you can do a group buy that would help, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

On 26/01/2022 at 15:07, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Just been out to the store, as Rob says, the box and the cartridge are labelled 7 1/2 and more importantly 2.4mm.

So a good old English 7

They work very well on clays and I have shot pigeons over decoys with the fibre version.

Great cartridge and at a very good price at the moment.

Hello, there was a list of shot sizes compared to UK and I think some 7.5s came in at English 7s , 

The Fiocchi TT1s are 10-15 notes cheaper than a Hull Comp X, but find the comp X leaves my gun fairly dirty. Nothing that a quick clean doesn't help, but unburnt powder just seems to mentally tell me it hasn't been as efficient as it could be.

Barbury gunroom have some pretty decent prices, probably better than Greenfields for people in the Hampshire/Wiltshire area.

Back on topic, yes my RC romagnola 28g are "true English 7's" and labelled 7.5.

13 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

The Fiocchi TT1s are 10-15 notes cheaper than a Hull Comp X, but find the comp X leaves my gun fairly dirty. Nothing that a quick clean doesn't help, but unburnt powder just seems to mentally tell me it hasn't been as efficient as it could be.

Barbury gunroom have some pretty decent prices, probably better than Greenfields for people in the Hampshire/Wiltshire area.

Back on topic, yes my RC romagnola 28g are "true English 7's" and labelled 7.5.

Hello, that's the one I was thinking of the RC Romags , you still have to factor in costs to go and buy cartridges , ?? 

5 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, for those on PW who do a lot of pigeon shooting to help the farms what's the position on gettng  the farm to buy cartridges and could these be VAT free ??

Farmers can certainly claim VAT back on cart’s - as to whether they are willing to pass that advantage on….? Possible. 

Sometimes large estates buy cartridges for their farmers, keepers and employees to use for vermin. Always worth asking. I used to shoot on a crown estate where each farm got 1000 cart’s a year - and were expected to use them all for shooting vermin. I would join in with their big annual crow shoot and was always supplied with the estate cart’s. 
Same when I shot pigeons. 

On 28/01/2022 at 10:27, HantsRob said:

Don't look down your barrels on a cold winters day then!  :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, HantsRob said:

my OCD can't help it ;) It happens on warm days too! 

It's the only cart I've shot that I don't feel I get on with great. 

And you are overthinking things and finding the unburned powder leads you to think the lead payload did not move as it should.

As I said, do not look through your barrels after shooting on a cold day, it will make you think that any cartridge is not pushing the payload fast enough and that is a downward spiral!